Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Mama Obama ticked off...

First lady not happy with Sasha, Malia dolls

Spokeswoman calls it ‘inappropriate’ to use ‘private citizens for marketing’

NBCChicago.com
updated 9:10 a.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 26, 2009

First lady Michelle Obama is not pleased about the marketing of a pair of dolls that bear the same names as her daughters.

“We believe it is inappropriate to use young private citizens for marketing purposes,” Ms. Obama’s spokeswoman said.

Ty Inc. has released the 12-inch plush dolls as part of the company's “TyGirlz Collection,” introduced in 2007. The Sasha doll has pigtails and wears a white and pink dress with hearts. The Malia doll has a side ponytail and a long-sleeve shirt with capri pants.

The Oak Brook-based company chose the dolls' names because “they are beautiful names,” not because of any resemblance to President Obama's daughters, said spokeswoman Tania Lundeen.

“There's nothing on the dolls that refers to the Obama girls,” Lundeen said. “It would not be fair to say they are exact replications of these girls. They are not.”

Public figures have a legal right to control how their images are used, but Lundeen would not comment on legal issues or if the company's lawyers have become involved with the dolls.

“I'm not an attorney. I can't answer that,” she said.

msnb.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28854593/

My favorite part here...

“We believe it is inappropriate to use young private citizens for marketing purposes,” Ms. Obama’s spokeswoman said.

*wipes sweat from brow

That's a relief. If Mama Obama is pissed about young private citizens being used for marketing purposes I guess that means all the slave labor used to create goods and services imported by the U.S. public and private sector is about to be cut off...

PERIOD.

I'm gonna count down the seconds and wait.

Who's with me?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I happen to agree that depicting the likenesses of minors without the permission of their parents or guardians is not proper.
If the dolls are white or Asian with those names, OK, but to give names like these to black dolls is a bit too coincidental.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I happen to agree that depicting the likenesses of minors without the permission of their parents or guardians is not proper.
If the dolls are white or Asian with those names, OK, but to give names like these to black dolls is a bit too coincidental.
I agree. Leave the kids alone. Not much more to say...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Buckeye brings up a good point about child labor, but not even taking it that far, I think it's fair to point out that political kids are generally exploited by their parents more than anyone. If you don't want your kids in the spotlight, don't bring them on stage with you to show what a family man you are, mention getting them a puppy in your speech claiming victory in the election, don't write them an OPEN-LETTER (by far one of the most revolting and hilarious recent trends we are seeing) telling them how much you love them....The Bush twins even wrote these girls an open letter giving them advice for the next 4 years. Are people really so stupid to think these open letters have any significance other than political? What happened to a private letter? These public men don't even have private souls--I'm becomming more convinced of that every year.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I think everyone is way too sensitive.

Its just a couple of dolls with names... who cares?

Is there a woman out there named Barbie with her panties in an uproar because of the barbie dolls?

Is there a dude in the military named Joe trying to win a lawsuite somewhere?

People are such freakin crybabies these days I swear it drives me nuts.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
These public men don't even have private souls--I'm becomming more convinced of that every year.
They outsourced their "private souls" to China.

Cuz on 25 cents a day, it ain't enough to ask an 8-year-old to make the steel for our infrastructure. They should be making our morality decisions as well.

:thumbup:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

In the 1930s there was a highly successful line of dolls called "The Little Princesses" (of England, including future Queen Elizabeth II).

The British royal family never seems to have kvetched about it.