Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default NYG's Jacobs: We'd be in SB if we had Plax

Jacobs: If we had Burress, we'd be in the Super Bowl

Staten Island Advance
Friday January 30, 2009

Giants running back Brandon Jacobs has said that if the team hadn't lost Plaxico Burress to a self-inflicted gunshot wound earlier in the year, they'd be in the Super Bowl, not the Arizona Cardinals. (Staten Island Advance file photo by Rich Kane)If Plaxico Burress hadn't shot himself in the thigh and missed the last third of the NFL season, the Giants would be playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday, not the Arizona Cardinals. At least that's how Big Blue running back Brandon Jacobs feels about this past season.

"If we have Plax on our team, we go 15-1 and we win the Super Bowl," Jacobs told the New York Post. "I'm not afraid to say that and I'll say it to anybody on any team."

"We had a different identity with him and we didn't have enough time to try to change our identity to be effective at what we wanted to do. Teams, I'm not going to say stopped the run, but they did a little bit better each week because they were able to have that eighth guy in the box."
Jacobs, a free agent at the end of next month, said that he exchanges text messages with Burress "every other day" and said that if he's going to re-sign with the Giants, he wants Burress to be on the team.

"No question, if I'm there I need 17 back on that roster," he told the Post.

The Giants do have the option of placing the franchise tag on Jacobs at a cost of $6.6 million but that's something the Giants leading rusher wouldn't be too happy with.

"I would be angry and it probably would cause some problems, but it's nothing we couldn't deal with. I don't anticipate that at all. I'm confident something will get done."
So, we've got a three-parter for you...

1. Is Jacobs right, would the Giants be playing on Sunday if Burress hadn't shot himself?
2. Do you want the Giants to re-sign Jacobs?
3. Do the Giants need to bring back Burress if his legal issues are cleared up by the time next year starts?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It is hard to say if the Giants get there or not if they had Burress. Just look at all of the upsets in general in the NFC playoffs this year. I mean we had the teams with the two worst records in the playoffs playing in the NFC Championship game. One of the main reasons the Giants failed to really compete in the playoff game was due to Eli never being able to adapt to the elements in that game. I am not it would have mattered terribly much given how poorly Manning was throwing the ball that day.

I don't know if they need to bring back Burress specifically but they will need to do something significant at the position this offseason. There is a rumor floating around out there that the Giants are going to make a serious run at getting Boldin.

With Amani Toomer telling everyone this week that he doubts he would even accept a new deal from the Giants if they offered him one they are potentially looking at Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, and David Tyree being their top options at the position. Even if Toomer were sticking around one only needs to look at Manning's numbers to know they need to do something to revive the passing game. Manning had no 200 yard passing games and threw just 2 TDs and 4 INTs in the five games they played without Burress.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Anthony

Of course the decision may not be in the hands of the Giants front office, as a conviction means a mandatory minimum three-year state prison sentence for Burress - and conceivably, as much as 15 years.

But what if the Giants don't tag Jacobs - and the Eagles were to sign him?

I'd be absolutely overjoyed - although I can't see it ever happening.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

That is assuming he would even be interested in signing in Philly. I have to think that if he leaves NY it is going to be with a team where he is guaranteed to be the top dog. That is not going to happen in Philly as long as Westbrook is still there.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:03 AM   #5
Anthony

But you know what The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase said:

Every man has his price (although Lurie and Banner are probably the last people who are willing to pay it).
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

That is just it. It is a waste of money to pay 2 backs starter money especially when everyone knows Westbrook is going to be the focal point of the offense while he is still there and that type of money would be better spent on a LB who can actually tackle and cover someone or getting younger and better at the tackle positions.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Jacobs need to learn that those are the breaks... hell... New England would be in the SB had they not lost Brady... they bring in Cassel and go 11-5... nuff said....
Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The what-ifs about if they had Burress, I couldn't care less, it's all speculation and like boston_aloha said, part of it is luck and you have to deal with it...

I think the Giants HAVE to re-sign Jacobs, he is a punishing runner with speed and those are pretty rare. And I think, despite his issues, Plaxico should be brought back not only to appease Jacobs, but because he's that good. Assuming he doesn't go to the big house, that is...

And Anthony, I love ya, man, but can we please go one thread without an Eagles tie-in? It gets tiring.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
Anthony

Well having the same weakness, year after year, for 30 years and never doing anything about it - and hardly ever even trying to do anything about it - is pretty tiring in its own right.

And don't the Steelers have a need for Jacobs too?

That was readily evident yesterday.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That was readily evident yesterday.
How so? They won the freakin' Super Bowl so I don't see how one makes the case that the lack of a power runner is a glaring weakness they need to address when they are the Champions.

Besides, the Steelers have never been one to go out and land big named high priced free agents.

Honestly, I think the Steelers are in the same boat as the Eagles in terms of not having strong enough line play where a big bruiser would be effective for them.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #11
Anthony

Who said anything about high-priced free agents?

Is that how Jacobs and Michael Bush landed in New York (technically Jersey, I know) and Oakland respectively?

And if poor line play is to blame in Philadelphia, then how could the '08 Eagles have allowed the fewest sacks they've given up in a season since 1981? Maybe their O-linemen just love McNabb and hate Westbrook for some reason? (There's no accounting for taste on their part, if that is the case).

But looking at the Steelers and their '09 schedule, correcting their power-running-game problem could literally enable them to make a realistic assault on 16-0 next year (they already have a 15-1 season with Ben "Game Manager" Roethlisberger as their starting quarterback).

Last edited by Anthony; 02-04-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Giants cut Burress: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4040009

I think he'll get signed somewhere. Someone will take a chance because of his talent. And I don't blame them. He did make a Super Bowl-grabbing catch and isn't exactly T.O., Jr.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
Anthony

That's if any NFL team gets the chance to take a chance on Burress.

His legal situation remains up in the air - and remember that he has two gun charges pending; if he's convicted on both of them, the judge could order the sentences be served consecutively, in which case he could receive as much as 30 years in prison; and with NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg, an admitted former marijuana user ("Yeah, I smoked pot - and you're damn right I enjoyed it") leading the witch hunt, there is tremendous pressure on the system not to be lenient.

And even if he somehow evades jail time, he's likely to face a suspension from the league, pursuant to its "personal conduct" policy (up to and including for the entire '09 season?).

Last edited by Anthony; 04-04-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

His lawyer got the case adjourned until June which means nobody is even going to touch Burress until then at the earliest and that is assuming he avoids any jail time which, from all accounts, looks highly unlikely as the Mayor and DA are not willing to cut a deal that does not have any jail time tied to it.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 AM   #15
Anthony

But didn't he kind of shoot himself in the foot (!) by having the case adjourned? Maybe he could have copped to something now, gotten six months, and been able to save a significant part of his 2009 season?

After all, Bernie Goetz (if you remember him) served only eight months on his gun charge - and he actually shot four other people, and put one of them in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

I'm sure Burress' attorney could have brung that up.