Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road
Default Amare out 4-5 months

The best player on the Phoenix Suns and one of the five best in the league is out until March. Stoudemire is having surgery on his knee. His absences knocks this team several notches down the totem poll. Phoenix is deep trouble. If I'm a Suns fan I am pissed off at Amare Stoudemire, right now. Way to pull a Shaq and wait until the preseason starts to check out an injury, Amare. That's just stupid and careless. Suns weren't going anywhere before and they sure aren't going anywhere now. I think they can probably pull out a 6 or 7 seed, but that puts them at a serious homecourt disadvantage heading into the playoffs against the likes of San Antonio, Houston, and Sacto.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

I hate watching talent like Amare go down with injuries like this, but this definetly opens the door for the Clippers. If the Clips take advantage, they should get home court. The Suns have hardly any big man depth outside of Amare and Thomas
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

That SUCKS! Amare pulled a Shaq.
I was really looking forward to watching lots of Amare this season.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Tough blow for the Suns. More pressure on Marion now.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Amare out 4-5 months

Quote:
Originally posted by #99
The best player on the Phoenix Suns and one of the five best in the league.
Best player on the Suns and a Top 5 player? I def don't agree with him being the best player on the Suns but I would agree with you that he is in the Top 10 in the NBA. Steve Nash, without question, is the MVP of the Suns and the reigning MVP of the entire league. He carried the team throughout the season and picked up the slack of Shawn Marion in the playoffs (Marions' play probably cost them the series against the Spurs). I don't doubt that Amare is the #2 guy in Phoenix but he can't lead the team down court and he doesn't set up every scoring play that goes on for the team. Nash gives HIM the ball and he is just dominate enough to slam it home. I believe Shaq has referred to him as Shaq JR.

This season might end up being different because the Suns took big hits losing Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson but as the season begins (whether or not Amare is healthy), Steve Nash is the #1 guy in Phoenix.

#99, i was wondering who would be in your top 10 of the league right now. I'd like to see it since Amare is in your To 5.

1) Tracy McGrady 6) Kevin Garnett
2) Steve Nash 7) Dwayne Wade
3) Dirk Nowitzki 8) Lebron James
4) Kobe Bryant 9) Amare Stoudemire
5) Tim Duncan 10) Jermaine O'Neal / Shaq
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Wow Zach, that is way too high for Dirk, imo. He is too soft and doesn't play D.

1. Timmay!
2. K.G.
3. A.I.
4. Wade
5. Kobe
6. Bron
7. Amare
8. Nash
9. J. O'Neal
10. Melo

Last edited by Dublin Mike; 10-12-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

You don't even have him in the top 10? Dirk was being offered for Shaq back when he was first being traded!

Dirk carried that young team through the season and into the playoffs. The Mavs have never been a defensive team and thats fine with me because they still win games and playoff series. I think you should have switched Melo and Dirk on your list. Melo had a terrible season last year (and mainly because everyone was comparing him to Lebron all season again).

Other than that, I still don't see how you don't rank Nash higher than Amare? I'm just not understanding the thinking in the situation! I mean didn't the Suns only win like 2 games out of the 7 Nash missed with his injury? It's some number like that, Amare was healthy but he couldn't win those games w/o Steve Nash.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I dunno Zach, he has just never impressed me. My biggest gripe, like I said, no defense. You can average 30 a game, but if the guy you are guarding scores 40, it doesn't matter how much you score. Plus, I have never once heard him take the blame for playing a bad game and being the cause of a loss, but I have sure heard him call out other people who didn't play half as abd as he did. (I remember one situation in paticular where he called out Finley last year. Can't remember the details, but it was pretty childish)

As far as ranking Stoudamire above Nash, it is close bud. But, we are gonna see how Nas reacts without his main target to go to for a few months. I think Marion will step up, but Nash is gonna have to step up like he did in the playoffs last year. AND get his TOs down. Hell, if he does that, I'll probably put him in my top 5, but he has to do it CONSISTANTLY.

Hey, you are ragging me about Stoudamire, yet you put Nowitzke up high when Nash did the same thing for him that he does for Stoudamire.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Dublin Mike
Wow Zach, that is way too high for Dirk, imo. He is too soft and doesn't play D.

1. Timmay!
2. K.G.
3. Bryant
4. Wade
5. Kobe
6. Bron
7. Amare
8. Nash
9. J. O'Neal
10. Melo
Well, maybe Dublin Mike could find room for Dirk Nowitzki in his top ten if he didn't have Kobe Bryant ranked in the top ten twice (does he get another slot in the rankings for just his ego?)!

Steve Nash is obviously the MVP of the Phoenix Suns, but as I debated back when Nash won the league honor, the MVP certainly does not mean the best player. I think there is a legitimate arguement for Amare Stoudemire being the best player for the Phoenix Suns, and honestly I don't have either one in my top ten (although, they both would be in my top fifteen). If you are ranking the top ten best players in the league, I would have...

1.) Tim Duncan
2.) Kevin Garnett
3.) Shaquille O'Neal
4.) Tracy McGrady
5.) Kobe Bryant
6.) Allen Iverson
7.) Dirk Nowitzki
8.) LeBron James
9.) Dwyane Wade
10.) Jermaine O'Neal

But, if I broke it down and picked my First-Team All-NBA by positions, I would have...

F Tim Duncan
F Tracy McGrady
C Shaquille O'Neal
G Allen Iverson
G Kobe Bryant
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

lol. in the words of a great man: D'OH!!! Lemme edit that real quick.

For some reason, I put Kobe in 3rd where I had originally planned on putting A.I. Alzheimers is a mudder.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #11
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

You just sign multi million dollar contracts with the Suns and Nike and then arrive at camp thinking "Maybe now I should get that knee looked at?" I must say, I am a little pissed off.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimbot
You just sign multi million dollar contracts with the Suns and Nike and then arrive at camp thinking "Maybe now I should get that knee looked at?" I must say, I am a little pissed off.
The Phoenix Suns were well aware of Amare Stoudemire's knee problems during contract negotiations (Stoudemire's five-year, $73 million contract extension doesn't begin until after this season).

From the report that I read, the extent of the knee damage wasn't determined until Tuesday during diagnostic arthroscopic surgery by team doctor Thomas Carter, where he looked to determine the amount of cartilage damage to the knee. When more damage than expected was found, Carter then proceeded with the microfracture surgery to repair the joint surface defect in his left knee.

Quote:
Originally posted by #99
If I'm a Suns fan I am pissed off at Amare Stoudemire, right now. Way to pull a Shaq and wait until the preseason starts to check out an injury, Amare. That's just stupid and careless.
When the defect was found during an MRI scan, the Suns treated Amare Stoudemire symptomatically. But, as those symptoms elevated, the Suns decided to operate and treat it more aggressively, rather than have a lingering problem potentially later in the season.

I don't think you can be pissed off at Stoudemire, because he went into yesterday's procedure for what he thought was a minor surgery, but became more serious than anyone had expected. It was the team's decision to treat Stoudemire symptomatically, and then decide on the surgery.

I think it is easy to say that Stoudemire was money-hungry (and I won't deny that he isn't a money hungry person; I heard Mike Wilbon during ESPN's Pardon The Interruption say that the average salary of an NBA player is $4 million a year: They all sound money-hungry to me) in waiting to do something about the injury until after he signed his new extension, but I don't think that was at all the case in this situation. I think it was all a matter of unfortunate circumstances.

Last edited by tobynosker; 10-12-2005 at 10:51 AM.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

As someone who just had knee surgery -- granted ACL surgery isn't the same as this procedure -- I can say that the rehab is not guaranteed to be successful. He cannot bear any weight for up to 6 weeks and that will cause his leg muscles to atrophy to the point where they will need to be rebuilt.
The Suns might be better off by shutting him down for the season to not put any pressure on his rehab. They can go through the season and see who they have in reserve. If they make the playoffs without Amare, fine.
Penny Hardaway had similar surgery and never played the same afterwards.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:54 PM   #14
Hall of Famer

Default Re: Re: Amare out 4-5 months

Quote:
Originally posted by Titans100
Best player on the Suns and a Top 5 player? I def don't agree with him being the best player on the Suns but I would agree with you that he is in the Top 10 in the NBA. Steve Nash, without question, is the MVP of the Suns and the reigning MVP of the entire league. He carried the team throughout the season and picked up the slack of Shawn Marion in the playoffs (Marions' play probably cost them the series against the Spurs). I don't doubt that Amare is the #2 guy in Phoenix but he can't lead the team down court and he doesn't set up every scoring play that goes on for the team. Nash gives HIM the ball and he is just dominate enough to slam it home. I believe Shaq has referred to him as Shaq JR.

This season might end up being different because the Suns took big hits losing Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson but as the season begins (whether or not Amare is healthy), Steve Nash is the #1 guy in Phoenix.

#99, i was wondering who would be in your top 10 of the league right now. I'd like to see it since Amare is in your To 5.

1) Tracy McGrady 6) Kevin Garnett
2) Steve Nash 7) Dwayne Wade
3) Dirk Nowitzki 8) Lebron James
4) Kobe Bryant 9) Amare Stoudemire
5) Tim Duncan 10) Jermaine O'Neal / Shaq
Trust me, I watched a lot of Suns games last year and often still go back to Phoenix. The Suns' offense does sputter w/o Nash, yes, but it is absolutely toothless with Stoudemire. Nash's MVP season was pretty well deserved (though I would've voted for Shaq), but it's arguable whether his play was any better this year than a Jason Kidd or a Dwyane Wade. Hell, for most of his career, Nash was on the same level as Sam Cassell and Mike Bibby. Stoudemire, quite honestly, is the best power forward in the league, right now. Even playing undersized center, he changes the game single-handedly. You just watch how much the Suns struggle with Nash in the lineup and no Amare to rely on.

For what it's worth here's a top ten in which not only skill is factored, but dominance. So before you take issue with Shaq being 3rd, ask yourself if anyone has been more dominant in this league since Michael Jordan. You'll note that I don't have Nash in the top ten and, for what it's worth, I'd still place him behind a healthy Jason Kidd.

1. Garnett
2. Duncan
3. Shaq
4. Kobe
5. Amare
6. T-Mac
7. Wade
8. LeBron
9. A.I.
10. Dirk
Sports Again?!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by tobynosker
The Phoenix Suns were well aware of Amare Stoudemire's knee problems during contract negotiations (Stoudemire's five-year, $73 million contract extension doesn't begin until after this season).

From the report that I read, the extent of the knee damage wasn't determined until Tuesday during diagnostic arthroscopic surgery by team doctor Thomas Carter, where he looked to determine the amount of cartilage damage to the knee. When more damage than expected was found, Carter then proceeded with the microfracture surgery to repair the joint surface defect in his left knee.

When the defect was found during an MRI scan, the Suns treated Amare Stoudemire symptomatically. But, as those symptoms elevated, the Suns decided to operate and treat it more aggressively, rather than have a lingering problem potentially later in the season.

I don't think you can be pissed off at Stoudemire, because he went into yesterday's procedure for what he thought was a minor surgery, but became more serious than anyone had expected. It was the team's decision to treat Stoudemire symptomatically, and then decide on the surgery.

I think it is easy to say that Stoudemire was money-hungry (and I won't deny that he isn't a money hungry person; I heard Mike Wilbon during ESPN's Pardon The Interruption say that the average salary of an NBA player is $4 million a year: They all sound money-hungry to me) in waiting to do something about the injury until after he signed his new extension, but I don't think that was at all the case in this situation. I think it was all a matter of unfortunate circumstances.
The rumblings I hear from some of my friends at the NBC affiliate in Phoenix is that Stoudemire had complained about this pain long enough to the point where the severity shouldn't only be coming out now. That is to say, the organization knew something was wrong. This guy is your franchise. You're sinking your entire future into him. I have to say, if my prize investment even complains of a headache, I'm running as many extensive tests on him as I can because, damn it, you have to protect your investment.
Sports Again?!