Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I think that Akron's win over Ohio State was in the 1890's. I think it was a trivia question during the Miami of Ohio-OSU game this past season.

If the Zips keep recruiting as well as they are right now, the "statement" win will come eventually. I doubt it comes at the hands of a Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan but certainly a school on the level of Michigan State or Virginia.

The Akron-PSU game may be close (closer than some of their other match ups with the Big Ten have been) because Penn State is going to have a brand new starting secondary and Joe isn't going to let the offense show much with ND coming up a week later. I'm thinking PSU wins by a couple of TD's but doesn't hammer them by 38 like they did in the last meeting.

EDIT- According to the College Football Data Warehouse, Akron defeated Ohio State 12-6 in Columbus on September 5th, 1894.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #17
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Well, they don't have to beat a Penn State or a Wisconsin. They just have to get a few games where the scare the hell outta them. Let's just see how the season plays out. I would hope they do get a victory against a big school, but I don't want it to be Penn State. That hurts the Big Ten's image in a big way.

Beat one of those southern SOBs...LOL.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #18
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Well, they don't have to beat a Penn State or a Wisconsin. They just have to get a few games where the scare the hell outta them. Let's just see how the season plays out. I would hope they do get a victory against a big school, but I don't want it to be Penn State. That hurts the Big Ten's image in a big way.

Beat one of those southern SOBs...LOL.
Well, we DO play NC State right after Penn State...

But no, scaring the hell out of them is not enough. We need to BEAT a big school. No one remembers when you "scared the hell out of them" for very long. To wit: that 48-31 Wisconsin victory of Akron? It was tied 31-31 in the 4th quarter...and Akron got the ball down to the Wisconsin one, and went for it on 4th down rather than trying to take the lead on a chippy field goal...they got stuffed, and Wisconsin scored on the very next play, a 99-yard touchdown pass, and never looked back. I'm sure that doesn't mean much to recruits now.

I will now return to hanging my head in shame that Alex was able to casually correct me on not one, but two facts (one pretty basic) about my favorite team.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote