Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default My dead grandmother could have thrown on the Raider D

Man, that was amazing last night. I can't remember the last time i saw a pass d that porous. No one was w/in 5 yds of the N.E. WRs last night. Oaktown better learn how to score in bunches or they will be in trouble.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #2
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

When they were within 5 yards they would get there to early and get a flag. The Raiders just dont have that mystique anymore, they have not had it in awhile which is fine with me, I cant stand Al Davis.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Plus the penalties killed em. Last i saw last night, they were well over 100 yards in penalties
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Raiders are too small and too young on D to stop any decent team. they can score points but they aren't going to win the close ones.

they are headed another losing record unless Moss, Porter, and Curry can revive Kerry Collins- which hasn't looked too good when he is under pressure. Collins threw into some very solid coverage trying to feed Moss the ball. this is going to cost him a lot of picks- something he hasn't be able to avoid to begin with.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
TitansFan
Rookie Player

TitansFan is on a distinguished road

I loved every minute of that game.

My second favorite team in the NFL is whoever is playing the Raiders.
TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

So much for the Raiders being much improved and making a run at the playoffs this year. They looked about the same as they did last year.

Kerry Collins never looks good when he is under pressure. Ability-wise Collins is as good as there is unfortunately he does not stand up well against the pass rush and still has trouble reading defenses.

The Patriots looked good, but may have some problems with teams that contain the pass rush. Their secondary play was a bit spotty last night.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if it was the Raider D or just Corey Dillon, but he made the Raider run D look pretty damn good last night. With the exception of the two rushing TD's, Dillon only had 23 rushes for 63 yards. That is only like 2.7 yards a carry. I sure know that Da' Raiderz are not that good ar run defense. So what's up with Mr. 1600 since last season?

If the Raiders wouldn't have stopped Dillon, then the score would have been way out of control because as we all have come to realize, their pass defense wasn't even their on the field last night.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

You know, Dublin Mike, saying that your dead grandmother can throw on the Raiders' D doesn't make your late grandma all that impressive.

As a fan of the Silver and Black, last night went from respectable to catastrophic and I think it's a likely indicator of how this season will play out for them. The first half against the Pats was a very entertaining game. Then the second half started and the wheels came off. Many times I wondered, "Why can't we stopped cheating?" Well, it's b/c during the entire off-season we never did anything to improve an already poor defense. I think the Raiders had something like 3,400 penalties last night. All due to carelessness. But this is nothing new for this team. If the winner of a game were determined by penalties accumulated, the Raiders would be working on a 12-year unbeaten streak. Maybe longer. Still, they only lost by ten in the end at New England. To me, that signals there is a beat of hope ahead this season. Particularly if Norv "I looked like I needed to take a huge dump all night" Turner can instill any semblance of discipline.

The pass defense won't show up all year, guys. You all know that. This team will be winning shootouts, if anything.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by #99
Still, they only lost by ten in the end at New England. To me, that signals there is a beat of hope ahead this season. Particularly if Norv "I looked like I needed to take a huge dump all night" Turner can instill any semblance of discipline.

The pass defense won't show up all year, guys. You all know that. This team will be winning shootouts, if anything.
I'm going to second the notion that the Raiders are in okay shape. It'd be nice if a defense magically showed up in Silver and Black, but all they need is for the o-line to avoid penalties and run-block a bit better. Do that and they'll be 9-7 and Kerry Collins will be an MVP candidate.

(No, I'm not kidding. Sprinkle in something resembling a running game and Collins will throw for 300 yards at least 10 times this season. Especially since the Raiders' D will get burned as quickly as possible to bring the O back on the field.)

And everyone's right to laugh at the Raiders' D. I swore i saw my man Ahmad Carroll out there twice last night, apparently using the pseudonyms "Routt" and "Washington".
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:53 PM   #10
niners80
Sports Enthusiast

niners80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy D
(No, I'm not kidding. Sprinkle in something resembling a running game and Collins will throw for 300 yards at least 10 times this season. Especially since the Raiders' D will get burned as quickly as possible to bring the O back on the field.)

Lamont Jordan looks like a pretty solid back to me. New England just put some intense pressure on the O-line and Kerry Collins all day.

Last edited by Marc; 09-12-2005 at 11:05 PM.
niners80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:10 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Yes, it was only one game and all that, but this year's Raiders seem to bear an uncanny resemblance to the Archie Manning-led Saints of the 1970s - more than exciting enough to watch, but losers.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #12
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
Raiders are too small and too young on D to stop any decent team. they can score points but they aren't going to win the close ones.
K.C./Oakland next week should be quite a shootout. I'm taking the over.