Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 07-24-2003, 11:55 PM   #1
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default Screw VH1--Make ur own list

Since VH1 has proven themselves incapable, I thought we should make our own top ten list of the greatest pop culture icons of all time.

Here is my Top 15. No Oprah, and no, I didn't just forget about her.

1. Elvis
2. The Beatles
3. Madonna
4. John Wayne
5. Marilyn Monroe
6. JFK
7. Jack Nicholson
8. Michael Jordan
9. Britney Spears
10. James Dean
11. Frank Sinatra
12. Audrey Hepburn
13. Jerry Seinfeld
14. Howard Stern
15. Johnny Carson
Old 07-25-2003, 12:22 AM   #2
JagZone
Jagadelic Since 1997

JagZone is on a distinguished road

Britney SPears????!?!?!?!?!?! Your as bad as the people who select the walk of fame!

Its of ALL TIME. Not 5 years of time

SOrry to be flaming a bit but my thoughs
JagZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:24 AM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Where's U2???

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:17 AM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Satan should be number one. EVEYRONE knows who he is...

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:08 AM   #5
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Not me da12ken....

tumblr | twitter
Old 07-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Breaking the words down, you have " pop" which stands for popular and " icon" which means one who is the object of great attention or devotion, according to a quick search on the net here. Also of note, is that they are a representation or image of something.

So, the biggest popular objects of devotion and attention who were representatives or an image of something among the public is a good definition if you ask me.

With that, there is only one who can be the clear choice for the top spot, John Lennon. The man is widely recognized as the representative and image of a generation's entire ideals while being a symbol of undying devotion.

I would like to think that the people on the list have a little " meat" to their icon appeal. Meaning, you have to be a little more then a pretty face ( cough...Britney...cough) and a marketing push to make it here.That's just me though in my hatred of shallow culture.Here's my top 10 list then...

1. John Lennon
2. Winston Churchill ( there is life beyond America's shores VH1)
3. JFK
4. The Beatles
5. Martin Luther King, Jr.
6. Ghandi
7. Mother Teresa
8. Nelson Mandela
9. Kurt Cobain
10. Babe Ruth

My list is a lean on the shallow candy, with an emphasis on the substance. Any musical discussion of the word icon begins and ends with Lennon/ The Beatles and Kurt Cobain. They DEFINED their generations music, but so much more. Elvis was too lean on the substance to make it for me.

Ok everyone, rip my list apart !...LOL.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

OK... let me in on this. This is my list, my thoughts and my opinions. Please respect that.

This is my list using VH1's list for POP ICON's. Its not a list of icon's, but POP icons.

10. Princess Diana
9. Kurt Cobain
8. Bono
7. Wayne Gretzky
6. David Bowie
5. Steven Spielberg
4. Sigmund Freud
3. The Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
1. Albert Einstein

Like I said.... my listg using yhe VH1 list.

tumblr | twitter
Old 07-25-2003, 04:38 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Fair enough Heathen. I pretty much threw out the word " culture" in my list and went with substance, hence people who have done things that have been instrumental in the world we live in, instead of just having a nice ass.

I've never been high on Einstein personally. I instantly connect his work to the atomic bomb, which sours me on him.

Without having much knowledge of hockey, I guess Gretzky is a good pick, however, Babe Ruth's prescence was something that couldn't be fathomed today, even by Jordan's standards. Ruth's contributions weren't left to just the diamond as well. His " work" extended well into the lives of American culture, giving the people a figure of strength in trying times. Jordan was a mere marketing tool, nothing more. I scoff at the notion that Jordan is " the Babe Ruth" of today or basketball as the media has sometimes dubbed him.

Stones over the Beatles Heathen ? Come on man !...LOL.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

where's p. diddy
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #10
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

What about MJ or Magic Johnson in the top 15?

In 10 years Lebron will be #1

Last edited by Ellis; 07-25-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 05:59 PM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I like VH1's original list 'cuz a Canadian, SUPERMAN, was #2
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:22 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I actually quite like Ricky's list. It covers the decades since the inception of era in which pop culture really developed, and has the potential king of pop culture at its top.

My only beef is Britney Spears, who's not been around long enough to be iconic (and can any female singer/video star/dancer type be mentioned in a list with Madonna-- queen of the genre?). I think I'd replace her with, despite the legal issues and unanswered questions, Michael Jackson, who, behind only Elvis and Beatles, is one of the top pop culture icons of all time, and when talking pop music, well... he comes in as #1C.

Dave
Old 07-25-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Good point from that perspective Dave. " Pop" in my mind begins with Elvis. The TRUE pop culture that we are really getting at is one of youth, freshness, and a sense of uniting of minds in some way. Like I've said in this thread, that way of thinking of Pop tends to land you in " shallow" waters, meaning fluffy eye candy.
I think it's something to be pop in the above sense, but without the shallowness, and having actual merit or meaning. Some have done it, and done it well.

You have Lennon and Dylan as " voices" of their generation as well as Cobain and Vedder for theirs. They were pop, but had meaning as well. And that's why I can't put Bono in. For all his musical merit and efforts in Africa, the guy simply wasn't an identifiable character of pop culture in a trend or in a known movement. Nothing personal against him or U2, I happen to like their early stuff, but it just doesn't qualify him in my eyes. Same thing goes for a band like REM. GREAT band, just not at the level of idol worship, or iconic value of a Nirvana or Pearl Jam.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:28 PM   #14
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Good point Buckeye.... as for the Stones over the Beatles... I think I see what the Stones did (and still do) and rate them just above the Beatles. Its pretty even really.... just a personal preference really. I love the Stones

tumblr | twitter
Old 07-25-2003, 11:36 PM   #15
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Thanks Dave.

And Buckeye, yes, if i was going for substance, my list would be totally different. But I was trying to follow VH1's lead. This isn't a list of the most important people of all time, its of pop icons. I like the lists so far. You guys are probably right about Spears, but I still wouldn't take her off the list. I'll move her to number 15 and bump everyone behind her up a spot.

Also, I disagree with the longevity factor. Many pop icons died before they could leave a lasting impact (Morrison, JFK, James Dean) It's about the heights you reach, not necessarily how long your there, IMO, which is why I put Spears on because over the past couple years she's been as big as anyone I can ever remember in terms of pop icon status.