Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-16-2003, 02:38 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Natural Grass Is Losing Ground

Two fewer teams are playing their home games on natural grass this season than in 2002, reversing the trend away from artificial turf that began about 15 years ago. The stadiums in Baltimore, Pittsburgh and East Rutherford, New Jersey (the Meadowlands) switched from grass to turf this year, while Chicago (the Bears return from their one-year sojourn at Champaign) and Philadelphia have gone the other way (last year Buffalo and Indianapolis had the only synthetic surfaces in the AFC). Since two teams (the Giants and Jets) play on one of the fields that was switched from grass to turf, this makes the net gain two teams in favor of artificial turf. The breakdown now stands at 19 teams playing on grass and 13 on the carpet; all four NFC divisions have two teams that play on grass at home and two that play on artificial turf.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-16-2003 at 02:45 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

There is a big difference between the concrete-hard turf and the new FieldTurf which is a padded, grass-like artificial surface. A lot of the teams that switched to turf probably are using this new material. In fact, many players like it even more than grass.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

In college, Nebraska, Michigan, and Wisconsin are using the turf Marc refers to. It looks like grass and is softer. If we can't have real grass ( still don't know why not), I'll take this new version of FieldTurf instead of surfaces like the Vet...yuck. In Michigan, the head coach, Carr, even went so far as too ban students from throwing marshmallows at each other or on the field, a long tradition in the Big House, so they wouldn't get caught on the new playing surface and stick to cleats.

NON-GRASS = TRADITION KILLER.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
JagZone
Jagadelic Since 1997

JagZone is on a distinguished road

The new grass Marc is talking about is probably what the teams who switched from turf went too. I know in Jacksonville our Training Facility has 2 fields of natural grass and one of the rubbery turf material Marc said. Its relaly a nice product and is a lot more padded than astro turf.
JagZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I hate turf. If you're going to play on turf play inside. I hate domes and retractible roofs too. I like tradition, especially in college sports. Not every often I agree with a Buckeye fan but in with '78 NON-GRASS=TRADITION KILLER
Old 09-20-2003, 05:12 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
I hate turf. If you're going to play on turf play inside. I hate domes and retractible roofs too. I like tradition, especially in college sports. Not every often I agree with a Buckeye fan but in with '78 NON-GRASS=TRADITION KILLER

Let me guess - you either root for the 49ers or have been betting on the Titans every time they have played on artificial turf recently (San Francisco has lost 16 of its last 21 turf games straight up, and Tennessee is 1-7 against the spread in its last eight as a visitor on the carpet).:lol:

Seriously though, I like diversity of conditions - natural grass and artificial turf, warm weather and cold weather etc. - because it makes the game that much more interesting (to say nothing of the lucrative wagering opportunities this diversity so often provides!).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 07:18 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Nope I just hate turf. If you want to see football on a rug watch the AFL
Old 09-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
kevingrt
Sports Enthusiast

kevingrt is on a distinguished road

The new artificial turf stuff is amazing. I went to Notre Dame's indoor practive facility which just put it down a couple month's ago, and the stuff is simply amazing. I can see why so many teams are going to get it; it works and is cheaper then maintaing grass throughout the year.
kevingrt is offline   Reply With Quote