Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-01-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road
Talking Real headline

Headline from the Beaver County (Pa.) Times on Nov. 29, 2004:

"Big racks get all the attention"

Well, duh. True enough, but is it worth a banner front-page headline?
Old 12-01-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Another one of those lines that can have the tag line- "Only in Pennsylvania".
Old 12-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

cubfan13 is on a distinguished road

was the article about what i think it's about?
cubfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Probably not. Being a native Keystoner I can only hazard to guess that it is an article on deer hunting. As, you see, the first day of deer hunting traditionally starts the Monday after Thanksgiving in the state of Pennsylvania. It is considered a holiday by some and some school districts even close for the day because they know that roughly a third of the students will be absent.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Only one day?!!!

Come on! In WV, we got the whole f'in week of Thanksgiving off. (Hunting season starts the Monday of Thanksgiving Week.)

Dave
Old 12-01-2004, 09:29 PM   #6
ESP0704
All-Star Player

Give doublee a cookie! The story was about deer hunting.
Starting last year, the state game commission enacted a law making it illegal for adult hunters to shoot deer below a certain size.

They complained a lot last year, but the result now is more trophy bucks out there.

And, everyone say it together ... bigger racks (and don't we all want to see that).
Old 12-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but you know some copy-editor knew exactly what he (I can only assume it was a he) was writing. I think it's hilarous, but I doubt that headline got on there "accidently."

Like the time in Kansas when the Stafford Trojans put up a few touchdowns on the Pratt Beavers, leading to the headline, "Trojans penetrate Beaver defenses."

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

That's awesome.

Anyone familiar with Lewis Grizzard? He (R.I.P) had a lot of great stories in his books about his editing days, the most memorable being, "Coach Smith said, 'The best thing about (basketball player) Sue Jones is, she has hit 75% of her shots this year."

Except when it ran, the "o" in "shots" got replaced with an "i" due to a typo that went unnoticed.

The coach called the paper: "You idiot."
Sue Jones' dad called the paper: "I'm suing."
A random reader called the paper: What about the other 25%?"

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:03 PM   #9
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

It's so easy to see that happening too. Especially when you're writing on deadline and not actually looking at the screen but at some stats or a quote sheet.

The best copy-editing story I ever heard was from a professor in college who also worked at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch as a copy editor.

Apparently, at some small newspaper, a guy was having some funwith his story. At one point he finished a quote, writing,

"'It was a good game,' said Podunk high coach Jon Smith, who is a stupid f***er and shouldn't be coaching." Or something to that affect.

He left it as a joke for his buddy who was the copy-editor, so his buddy could get a laugh out of it and take it out. Except his buddy never caught it and it ran and they both got fired.

I rarely ever take anything very serious in this job, but the one hardfast rule I have, is that you never write anything unless you're ok with it being printed.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:47 PM   #10
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

cubfan13 is on a distinguished road

where do you work 12pm?
cubfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:10 AM   #11
ESP0704
All-Star Player

Noon, I have the same rule. Here's my two examples.

When I was working at the Original Hot Dog Shop, one of the managers changed the sign in the sandwich section to read "Roach Beef" instead of "Roast Beef." Then, he walked up to me and said "Make sure you remind me to change that back."

Long story short, we all forgot and the sign stayed up until late the following afternoon before someone noticed it. The manager got fired. But he ended up working someplace much better, and, because I didn't rat him out, he got me a job there too.

The other one happened in a newspaper. I don't know exactly how or where it happened because I only saw it in a photocopy, but this newspaper took a team picture of a junior high school basketball squad and the guy writing the caption didn't have all the names for the kids in the photo.

Side note: Sometimes, for various reasons, you sometimes get a photo that doesn't have all the IDs, but when you want to get the caption written anyway, you might hold the space with something like XXXXXXXXXX, just to remind yourself to come back in stick that last name in. That doesn't exactly jibe with Noon's (and my) rule, but what actually happened was far worse.

The guy merely typed "some f***er" into the space. Then he forgot to go back and put in the correct name. I'd imagine he was fired.