Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #76
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

He shoots about 4% worse in the playoffs, but yea, the numbers don't really tell the story. I wouldn't call Peja a playoff choker (i.e. see John Starks in Game 7), but he doesn't bring his A-game to the table.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #77
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

The guy got shut down by Rick Fox in big time games.

While he isn't a choker, his numbers go down and he is less aggressive.

As for Redick, I consider defense, playmaking, slashing, shooting, and rebounding more important than pure shooting. Especially in the lottery. Teams that draft players based on need alone over skill usually find that the player that fill the need at the moment isn't the answer. I consider Ronnie Brewer a better player.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:12 PM   #78
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

But with Turkoglu, Trevor Ariza, and potentially Grant Hill out there Brewer probably was not going to get a ton of minutes whereas the Magic need three point shooting more than they needed another SG/SF how can handle the ball and has a mediocre jumper to boot.

Brewer could turn out to be the better player but Redick fills a more immediate need whereas Brewer was not likely to get many minutes in Orlando.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #79
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Brewer's been getting rave reviews in the Summer League. Maybe that's not much, but he should be a good one. His awkward shot may have detracted some teams.

Doublee's right. The Magic desperately needed someone who could shoot three's. Although, since they (wisely) let Deshawn Stevenson go, the Magic don't have a good perimeter defender, which Brewer could have brought them. And Redick gives them a swagger that they need if they want to make the playoffs and then some.

IMO, the Magic made a far worse pick in the second round by drafting James Augustine. ARRRGGHH

Old 07-28-2006, 01:07 AM   #80
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=...&vback=Results

LOL. Kenny Smith comments on some of the worst dunks in the dunk contest. Darrell Armstrong lol.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #81
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Quote:
But with Turkoglu, Trevor Ariza, and potentially Grant Hill out there Brewer probably was not going to get a ton of minutes whereas the Magic need three point shooting more than they needed another SG/SF how can handle the ball and has a mediocre jumper to boot.
I hardly consider those guys players to be starters.

If they wanted three point shooting, sign Gerry McNamara, or Novak in the second round.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #82
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Ariza could be a keeper. He signed a 3-year, $8 million deal. He's only 21 and a can do a little everything. Turkoglu is inconsistent; one day he gets 25/7/5 and the next 8/3/1. Hill needs to retire.

I thought the Magic should've drafted McNamara instead of Augustine. He isn't that great a shooter (35% 3-pt), but I'm always high on guys who can hit free-throws (90%) and play clutch down the stretch. I think McNamara may sign with Orlando as a free agent, although Travis Diener is said to have shown improvement during the Summer League. I would've prefer McNamara over Augustine, but the Magic have three PG's already in Nelson, Dooling and Diener.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:15 AM   #83
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

CNN reported today that Luke Walton has a small role in an upcoming episode of the soap opera The Young and the Restless.

He has a larger role in another soap opera that takes place at the Staples Center set to air this fall. It's called The Young and the Hopeless.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 07-29-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:17 AM   #84
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Dear Lord....my side....
Old 07-29-2006, 02:31 AM   #85
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Now now Tarkus. Remember, this is year 3 of the "healing process" out in L.A. and Dr. Phil says laughter is the best medicine. That doesn't stop Kwame and Lamar from using their own "medication" on the side, but if we stick together I know this team will have a swell year!!!

EDIT:

I get a phone call from my cousin this afternoon telling me to turn on ESPN Classic. They were running Game 7 of the 1984 Finals (though we both have it on tape of course). He had a great one-liner...

"Look, the Lakers are losing... but it's with dignity!"

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 07-29-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #86
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Quote:
Ariza could be a keeper. He signed a 3-year, $8 million deal. He's only 21 and a can do a little everything. Turkoglu is inconsistent; one day he gets 25/7/5 and the next 8/3/1. Hill needs to retire.
I like Ariza, a former Bruin.

But no way is a playmaker. More of a guy who wouldn't turn the ball over, but he isn't creating. As for Turkoglu, I don't see him as a starting three. So the wing position is a log jam, deep, but not a log jam so Brewer wouldn't get minutes.

Imagine Nelson, Brewer, Ariza, and Howard to build around. All can defend, all can rotate. Defense is practically set, just needs to add some offensive pieces i.e a shooter. But a passer out of the post is present in Howard, two playmakers, a finisher in Ariza. IMO, that is a better team.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #87
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Pittsnogle signs with Celtics...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5819602
I like this kid. Now whether he'll be a good player in the NBA... that's another story - but I hope he does well.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:44 AM   #88
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

This is CBS Sportsline's take on the summer leagues but Thomas is gettin' comparable reviews across the boards. Dyin' to see Thomas & Sefolosha in action...

"Chicago: Early reviews on Tyrus Thomas indicate he might have some Shawn Marion in him. His athleticism dropped jaws, even if his offense appears raw. Fellow first-rounder Thabo Sefolosha showed great versatility and athleticism too, so the Bulls feel good about their draft picks potentially being able to make an immediate impact. Grade: B."

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/9580017
Old 08-01-2006, 03:01 AM   #89
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quick question:

Tarkus...what's it like to have hope?

LOL

Hey, you gotta love the nickname they gave this kid: T-Time. That's awesome. I don't know about the Marion comparison though. Does that mean he'll allow Lamar Odom to post Larry Bird-like numbers on him during a playoff series? LOL

Oh well...things are lookin' up in the Windy City.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 AM   #90
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Quick question:

Tarkus...what's it like to have hope?
In Chicago...like livin' in a glass house in a neighborhood of obnoxious kids carryin' sacks of rocks...

Quote:
Hey, you gotta love the nickname they gave this kid: T-Time.
Yea, a great one...

Quote:
I don't know about the Marion comparison though. Does that mean he'll allow Lamar Odom to post Larry Bird-like numbers on him during a playoff series?
:lol:

& then disappear down the stretch....