Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #16
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

As has been said, it does not appear LeBron will get anymore perks from being a Knick, rather than a Cav. The Cavs want him to stay and he is a home-town player (without the discount). Sure he and CC are friends and CC is now in New York, but basketball season and baseball season don't overlap that much.
The Browns seemed to be turning the corner to contention again, but have taken a step backwards -- not that it would take much to regain their momentum. They look like a franchise in need of a more consistant coach.
To get to the Indians baseball, I like some of their players, but they have a problem at 1B and catcher. Their problem is that there are 4 players that need ABs at those positions (1 can DH). Martinez is one of the better catchers, both offensively and defensively. Shoppach needs to get ABs too, but to move Martinez to 1B cuts into Garko's ABs.
Another problem they have is 3B, but they have some decent players that can fill in there. Marte, DeRosa and Carroll should be OK there.
If Sizemore could play in LF, the team would be better. His arm is more suited for the shorter throws from left, but his speed and quick delivery allows him to be an adequate CF. I like the looks of that team.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #17
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

Spug Guy is on a distinguished road

catman, word from Indians Chief Shapiro or atleast what he let on in the off-season was that Derosa and Carroll would be your second basemen, Cabrerra would move to short and Jhonny would play third being as his offense would more suit a corner infield slot and the range of Asdrubal at short would more than make up for Jhonny's short comings in the defensive department.
Spug Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spug Guy View Post
You mean to tell me buckeyefan that Lebron is lying when he says he likes it here? You mean to tell me that he would rather play in a rebuilding franchise is 2010 than for a franchise that is now on the cusp of being one of the elite's in the NBA today? That he would rather be just a scoring threat like kobe as opposed to a phenomenal player that needs to be accounted for on both ends of the court? And as far as NY signing Bosh or Stoudamire, we have seen over the years that Mike D's system is all about offense, they play no real defense under Mike D. So go ahead sign them and NY will just be the Phoenix of the eastern conference.
I don't know if he's lying or not and I rarely understand the motives of young people in any walk of life but the fact remains at the present time the Cavs haven't gotten over the hump and Lebron hasn't shown he can do so either...obviously.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #19
mthm142
Who's the Rookie???

mthm142 is on a distinguished road
Default Cleveland Fans

I do feel bad for the loyal fans up there that really support the teams and then have the worst happenings. It sucks that LeBron will wind up somewhere else, he should stay home. However, can't blame him for taking the money, it's a no brainer. The Cavs should do the right thing and make that happen.
mthm142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #20
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthm142
It sucks that LeBron will wind up somewhere else, he should stay home
Why? I guess I just don't see what he owes the city or the franchise or the fans.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #21
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spug Guy View Post
What challenge would he face in NYC that he hasn't already in cleveland? He was the number 1 draft pick, he is the face of this franchise, with the additions that dann ferry has made to the team in the past few years it has turn this team from playoff contender to championship contender on an annual basis. Trust me Zeke did far more damage to that franchise in his tenure than is visible, the Knicks won't be anywhere near the level of the cavaliers in two years when Lebron can opt out, besides should the cavaliers win a title either this season or next, why would he want to leave to start over?
LeBron is good friends with Jay-Z (notice how he throws up the Roc sign?) and scrutinized Yankee fan. He loves NYC. I know he loves the big stage and challenge, too. There is a lot appealing to him about NYC. He told me, because we are both in the James family. :lol:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #22
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

Spug Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
Why? I guess I just don't see what he owes the city or the franchise or the fans.
How about a sense of loyalty to the franchise and the fan base the helped put you were you are? Sue James is one of the best players in the NBA today but the people who work behind the scenes like Owner Dan Gilbert and GM Danny Ferry who have worked their asses off to put the best team available on the floor with Lebron so he can win a championship here. How about a sense of loyalty to the area were you grew up huh? It should never be just about the money. I have faith that in 2010 Lebron James is still going to be a cavalier, but should he not be danny ferry and dan gilbert will do everything that they can to put a competitive team back on the floor at the Q.
Spug Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #23
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spug Guy
How about a sense of loyalty to the franchise and the fan base the helped put you were you are? Sue James is one of the best players in the NBA today but the people who work behind the scenes like Owner Dan Gilbert and GM Danny Ferry who have worked their asses off to put the best team available on the floor with Lebron so he can win a championship here. How about a sense of loyalty to the area were you grew up huh? It should never be just about the money. I have faith that in 2010 Lebron James is still going to be a cavalier, but should he not be danny ferry and dan gilbert will do everything that they can to put a competitive team back on the floor at the Q.
As far as the bolded part is concerned, hasn't LeBron James reignited the Cleveland NBA fan base and helped lead the franchise to where they are today moreso than the franchise has helped lead him to where he is today? I do think the organization has done an admirable job trying new things and bringing in supporting guys around LeBron that has enabled them to be a contender in the east, but to this point he is still without a ring. If he desires a championship and he believes that it won't happen in Cleveland, then he should bolt for a place he believes he can win a title at. Is that place New York? I don't think so. But if that is where he wants to be, good for him.

He doesn't owe the city, the franchise or the fans anything.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #24
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well this isn't a good sign, that's for sure:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #25
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

LeBron is going to New York. Accept it now, Cleveland.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote