Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default Steeler fans travel well.

Jeebus. Seems like every time they do a pan shot of the crowd in DC, it seems like half the stadium are Steeler fans. Or are my eyes playing tricks on me.

On a side note, Big Ben isn't exactly looking spectacular this preseason. :uhoh:
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, the Nats are hosting the Cardinals tonight so I imagine there is probably a decent crowd over at RFK for that game.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same Mike. Ben looks more like a rookie this year than he did last year. Also, Bettis and Staley are both knicked up going into the season. Good thing for the Steelers the defense is stepping up and playing some slobberknocker football.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, but i think they are helped that Ramsey is a crap QB. Of course, as i say this, he is leading them on a scoring drive, but up until now, he hasn't hit a WR yet. I don't think Gibbs will keep him as the starter. I think Brunell opens the year #1, and i think even he will eventually be replaced by Campbell.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, they threw a stat up there earlier in the game that the Steelers have forced 11 TOs already in preseason and returned five TDs on defense or special teams.

I doubt we see Campbell for awhile. From what I read earlier in the week Campbell is struggling with his decision making and the 'Skins are working on shortening his delivery a bit.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:03 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

I'm not so sure that drafting a QB in the 1st round twice in four years makes a whole lot of sense - and don't get too worked up by the stats Washington's defense hung up last year; everybody played "not to lose" against them because their offense was so helpless. I have seen this same scenario so many times in my 30-plus years of following this game.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

No it does not make a whole lot of sense, but it is clear that Gibbs has little to no confidence that Patrick Ramsey is going to amount to anything more than a journeyman QB who spends the bulk of his career as a backup. Why else would he have spent a small fortune on Mark Brunell last year and then draft Jason Campbell this year?

Ramsey has not been doing much to help himself out either. He put up decent numbers last night, but in the two preseason games I have seen him play this summer he has made an awful decision that led to him throwing an interception. The one last night was taken back for a TD. He has thrown 4 picks in 49 attempts this preseason and that is against fairly vanilla coverage schemes. He does not seem to be progressing at all.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Sorry to take this back to Steeler fans, but someone asked me what the best thing up Michigan State from my first week here, compared to Penn State was...it was the easiest answer in the world: No Steeler fans.

TONs in penn state. I'm convinced they don't even like football. They just like the Steelers raaaaaaaaawr.

They brag about EVERY little thing. First down in the second quarter? PITTSBURGH'S GOIN' TO DA SUPPPPPPPA BOWL. HERE WE GO. STEELAS. SUPER BOOOOOOOWL.

Win the coin toss? HERE WE GO. STEELERS

So annoying.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #8
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Two problems with the way Ben is acting this preseason:

1. The Steelers defense/special teams are look amazing: scoring touchdowns, getting interceptions, make teams go 1-2-3. Thus, Ben really hasn't had much throwing practice, but I will agree with what I see isn't all that spectacular.

2. THIS IS PRESEASON.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

So, if he has not had that much throwing practice as you put it then what, exactly, does he do at practice during the week? The thing that is a bit disconcerting is that his accuracy seems to be all over the place and by this point of training camp he should be getting the accuracy and timing down. As Aikman pointed out last night Ben is not getting his feet set underneath him and the ball is sailing a bit on him. Granted he is not getting a ton of gametime in preseason, but that impacts the decision making process moreso than accuracy.

Doug, I grew up in South Central PA, which is a melting pot of mostly Steelers, 'Skins, and Eagles fans, and can empathize with how obnoxious Steelers fans can be. I can remember back in the late 80s and into the early 90s when the Steelers were medicore at best and the Eagles were a team on the rise I used to have Steelers fans tell me their team was better because they won four Super Bowls. It just did not matter to them that none of those players were even on the team any more and that Steelers had not been seen as a legit contender for several years.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:14 AM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Doug...

Try doing a tour of duty for two years in Pittsburgh. I had no work my ass off trying to find out what was going on in the world of college football, but I sure as hell knew what Jerome Bettis had for breakfast everyday. That and the daily lovefest with Mario. God I'm glad I'm outta there.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:21 AM   #11
Anthony

Aren't the people in and around York, PA actually Baltimore fans?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I did not live that close to York, it was about 40 miles down the road, and when I was living in the area there was no team in Baltimore. I cannot really speak that much for folks in York as I really spent very little time in that part of the state.

Where I lived the Steelers were the AFC team that got the most TV time and depending on who was better it was the Redskins or the Eagles. The reason the area was heavily into the 'Skins is because they used to have their training camp in my hometown so they ended up building a good fanbase in and around South Central PA.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #13
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
So, if he has not had that much throwing practice as you put it then what, exactly, does he do at practice during the week? The thing that is a bit disconcerting is that his accuracy seems to be all over the place and by this point of training camp he should be getting the accuracy and timing down. As Aikman pointed out last night Ben is not getting his feet set underneath him and the ball is sailing a bit on him. Granted he is not getting a ton of gametime in preseason, but that impacts the decision making process moreso than accuracy.
Didn't look to bad to me. He threw for over 200 yards on 11 throws (9/11 *ohhh that's creepy*). He did not over throw, under throw or misthrow any of his recievers - except for Randle El on a 50 yard bomb attempt into the endzone that was just out of the reach of his his hands (the other incompletion was due to pressure and he threw the ball away).

Oh and he had a perfect passer rating.

Here we go, Steelers, here we go!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, he should have since his recievers were wide open all day and the Titans barely laid a hand on him throughout the game.

The Titans very well maybe the worst team in the league this year.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #15
Anthony

Well I guess the negative momentum Roethlisberger appeared to have at the end of last year hasn't carried over into the new season.

And next up is another opposing secondary which will never be confused with that of the 1981 San Francisco 49ers.