Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default South Carolina Beats Florida

What a great win for South Carolina and Steve Spurrier. Winning 30-22.

They are definitely going to a bowl this year. They play Clemson next week.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

That'll be an interesting match up since Clemson knocked off Florida State today 35-14.

Spurrier's Gamecocks have only lost to Georgia, Alabama and Auburn this year. All three are very good teams. With a win over Clemson next week, South Carolina would be 8-3. Most thought that Spurrier would have done an admirable job just getting this team to a bowl game at 6-5. Spurrier may have this team competing for a MNC in a couple of years. Much like Bill Snyder made Kansas State and Barry Alvarez made Wisconsin into national powers, Spurrier had a chance to take South Carolina to the next level.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Someone please explain to me how Urban Meyer's Gators with 9:04 left in the game can afford to put together a 17 play drive eating up 6:13 off the clock for 55 yards and settle for a freaking field goal????????

There was never a sense of emergency in the 4th quarter and that killed the Gators in the end.

Hat's off to Spurrier though he's taken Lou Holtz's men and still is able to win with them. What SC going to be like in 3 years when Steve has his own boys lining up.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush
Hat's off to Spurrier though he's taken Lou Holtz's men and still is able to win with them. What SC going to be like in 3 years when Steve has his own boys lining up.
That all depends if he can convince top level talent to come to Columbia. Any coach worth his salt can recruit talent to the Big Three in Florida without really trying.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I thought SC would be a loss worse than they have been. Goes to show Spurrier, kind of like Rick Pitino, is a great college coach, but lousy in the pros. And also like in the case of Pitino playing his old Kentucky team, I hope Florida fans don't lose faith in Meyer. He's still a hell of a coach.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
That all depends if he can convince top level talent to come to Columbia. Any coach worth his salt can recruit talent to the Big Three in Florida without really trying.
South Carolina is a southern school and Spurrier is a legendary coach. If that moron Bill Callahan can convince kids from California to head to snowy and cold corn country to join a dying football program, Spurrier can most certainly bring top kids to Columbia on a yearly basis.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:07 AM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Alex...

But look at Callahan's record. Yeah have to recruit and coach.

Anyway...

Nice win for South Carolina today...for this year anyway. Won't be soon til I'm cheering against them when they are going for an undefeated season and to represent the Evil Empire (SEC) in the BCS.

2 of the 3 Florida schools lost today in the original Axis of Evil (Florida, FSU, Miami) and the SEC schools beat up on each other. All and all, couldn't have asked for a better day...ok, Miami could have lost 100-0, but life will go on.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Alex...

But look at Callahan's record. Yeah have to recruit and coach.
What's your point? Callahan's record is spotty, at best. He took the Raiders to the Super Bowl on the coat tails of Jon Gruden's success. So far he has made Steve Pederson look like a moron for firing Frank Solich following a 10-win season. So far, he has only 11 wins in two seasons at Nebraska. That used to be an acceptable single season total in Lincoln. The Huskers are going bowling but will probably lose to Colorado the day after Thanksgiving and finish at 6-5.

Spurrier has proven that he can recruit and coach. Keep in mind that Spurrier won the ACC at Duke. Callahan is using the last bit of Nebraska's glory to land a good class. That program is either going to have a turnaround season like Penn State did this season, or fall into oblivion like Washington did under Keith Gilbertson.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Also just because they are from California doesn't mean they are good athletes or football players. Heck Jay Davis, who started the year as NC State's QB is from Florida and he sucks. Chris Rix was from Cali and was an at best mediocre QB. Maybe the Cali kids are coming to Nebraska because nobody out west wants them.

On top of that Callahan is coaching at a legendary program that sells out every home game regardless whereas Spurrier is at South Carolina where they have trouble selling out even when the team is good. Up until a couple of years ago Nebraska always had big games on national TV. I can't remember the last time South Carolina had a big game on national TV.

I think Spurrier has already shown he can coach on the collegiat level. He actually won 15 games in two years at Duke got them into a bowl game and a top 25 ranking. Not to mention he has won a National Championship.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

South Carolina will be a force to be reckoned with in 2006. I like their QB Blake Mitchell.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

My point is that if you win or have a winning tradition, the players will come. Spurrier will get top kids to come to South Carolina and compete in the SEC and for a national championship. I'm not suggesting that South Carolina will ever reach the level of constant success that a Nebraska or Florida has but they can certainly become a well respected program. They already have the fan base and stadium to do it- over 80,000 seats and fans in them. Spurrier can be the guy to take South Carolina from the level of the Michigan State's and Ole Miss's of college football to the level of the Clemson's, Auburn's and Texas A&M's.