Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 06-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
lersfan
Rookie Player

lersfan is on a distinguished road
Default What would happen if...

What would happen to the legacy of Barry Bonds if tonight he ran into a burning house and saved a family of 4 from dying. However, in the process of saving this family Bonds was trapped and ended up dying (thus becoming a hero).

Right now he's one of, if not the most hated athletes in sports because of the whole steroid scandal. Would people forget about all the steroids and stuff and instead judge him on the fact that he saved this familys life?

I think people would say that deep down Barry was a good person (as this would show) and give him more of a pass on the whole steroid thing.
lersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Problem being I doubt that Barry Bonds would put his livliehood, let alone his life, at risk to save someone else unless it were his immediate family. They told a story about the difference between Bonds and Griffey during the Cards/Reds game tonight. The announcers talked about how when the fan who caught Griffey's 500th homer offered to give it back to him Griffey offered the guy tickets to a game and all sorts of signed memorabilia in return for the ball. When a fan offered to give Bonds a home run ball back in exchange for an autograph Bonds refused to do it and actually had the cajones to ask the fan to sign a release form giving Bonds/ESPN permission to show the fan on his 'reality' show.

Bonds has made it fairly evident that he only cares about himself and really does not care about giving back to the common everyday fan.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

This is one of those hypothetical threads that really has no point to me. It forces posters to use the only information out there to project a very far reaching view.

Like Doublee said, using the incidents during his career, it seems he would be too selfish & self absorbed to be that heroic. However, in a critical moment like a burning house, I don't think anyone can truly say a person's day to day personality in a public lifestyle like a baseball player's, would be the basis of what that person would to. There have been stories thru-out time, in all walks of life, of the most surprising acts of heroism from the most unlikely people.

So while I don't have a high opinion of Bonds for a myriad of reasons, I personally wouldn't begin to guess what he might do in that one...
Old 06-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

was it an electrical fire or a gas fire?

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-09-2006, 04:39 AM   #6
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Bonds save a family? He couldn't even save himself... unknowingly of course. :lol:
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

That sad fact of the matter is, Bonds WOULD run into that burning house, and save everyone he possibly could.......if the front yard was full of tv news crews.