Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default NBA Thoughts of the Day - August

Al Harrington reportedly fired his agent. If true, it could definitely impact his impending trade to Indiana.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2536841

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:16 AM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

06-07 schedule released today. Here are some of the highlights...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...arc&id=2536337

Bulls at Heat on opening night as Miami raises their banner. Interesting. Motivation for the Bulls? Only other game is Phoenix at Lakers. Still tryin' to convince us that BOTH teams are of interest I guess.

Wade v Lebron: 3 games in Febuary. Nice.

Lakers and Heat do battle on Christmas and MLK day...again. Get over it. It ain't even interesting anymore.

Here's the tv schedule for ABC and ESPN only. Damn ESPN. Just put up all the games on tv in the same link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvl...ory?id=2536321

Lakers get 13 games nationally. Cavs get 12. Feb. 11...Kobe at Lebron.

Devean George is off to Dallas. And then there was 1 (as in Kobe being the last link to the 3peat).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2536586
Old 08-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Lakers and Heat do battle on Christmas and MLK day...again. Get over it. It ain't even interesting anymore.

Here's the tv schedule for ABC and ESPN only. Damn ESPN. Just put up all the games on tv in the same link.
Thank you. I forget who it was, I think it may have even been Cowherd, who said last week when it was announced that this was going to be the X-Mas game: "Give me LeBron v. Wade on Christmas."

What the crap? It wasn't really enthralling when it was on last year. Give me the two most exciting players in the game on Christmas, not broken down Shaq vs. Air Kobe again. But, at least we will get to see D-Wade carve up the Lakers.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

NBA is changing playoff rules.

Shorter timeouts at the end of the game. 60 second timeouts change to 20 seconds with 2 minutes left, no more three 60 second time outs in over time. Instead, they get two 60 seconds and one 20 second.

20 second time outs don't go over.

Also, winner of the divisions still get in the top four followed by next best record, but it is still based on best record. So Winner of a certain division could still get the fourth seed. No more Dallas vs. Spurs in quarter's.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky
NBA is changing playoff rules.

Shorter timeouts at the end of the game. 60 second timeouts change to 20 seconds with 2 minutes left, no more three 60 second time outs in over time. Instead, they get two 60 seconds and one 20 second.
Wonder how they got ABC/ESPN to agree to this that obviously means fewer ads. If they didn't agree to it I would not be surprised to see this go back to the old way. As we all know TV runs the NBA.

Quote:
Also, winner of the divisions still get in the top four followed by next best record, but it is still based on best record. So Winner of a certain division could still get the fourth seed. No more Dallas vs. Spurs in quarter's.
I have always been a fan of the way the NHL does it where the division winners get home ice for the first round and then everyone is re-seeded by record for the second round so the team left with the best record is always guranteed to play the team with the worst record still remaining and you don't run into what you had with Dallas and San Antonio facing off in the secrond round of the playoffs.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I like the shorter timeouts but doubt they'll stick with it.

Thursday night at 11pm marks the tv debut of Team USA. They'll play Puerto Rico.

Anyone really look at the schedule?

The Bulls play 11 of their first 15 on the road which includes a 7-game road trip. There are 3 instances where they play back-to-back games on the road in the first month of the season. 9 of their first 11 games are against playoff teams from last year. Plus the Texas triangle is in there. Man that's a rough way to start things off. I wouldn't be surprised if they started off something like 6-9 or 5-10 before the schedule eases up on them come December.

The Lakers play 16 of their first 20 at Staples Center (at Clippers is in there) and play only 9 playoff teams in their first 19 contests (most of those are the weaker playoff teams too). They only have 1 back-to-back game in there and it's a home-road that begins on opening night. Honestly, the Lakers could start something like 14-5 or 15-4.

Of course this has no bearing on where either the Bulls or Lakers will end the season but just an interesting observation.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Well easy first half means harder second half.

I prefered this season where Lakers faced some tough teams early on, and on the road and finished most of their games at home.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Well easy first half means harder second half.

I prefered this season where Lakers faced some tough teams early on, and on the road and finished most of their games at home.
From December 19th to March 15th (nearly 3 months), the Lakers will play 27 of 41 games (41 is half a season) on the road with 9 back-to-backs (ALL on the road). Only 21 of the 41 games are against playoff teams though. That ain't that bad.

The last month and a half of the season is 10 home and 7 road with only 2 back-to-backs. 10 of their final 17 opponents made the playoffs last year. That fast start will be crucial for this team. I say they need to start off something like 14-5 if they want to make any progress.

I too liked the way the schedule fell for 'em in 05-06. It was good for a younger team like that to gain some confidence going into the playoffs. O4-05 was brutal down the stretch if you recall.

With their experience and the way things ended last year, I'm kind of happy the schedule isn't easy down the stretch this year (I say it's average with that middle being pretty brutal). This team needs more adversity to get better. They play the Clippers, Suns, and Kings a total of 6 times in their last 10 games. Good. That will be a good barometer of where they stand in the Pacific.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Sweet...

January 20th - Kings at Pistons.
Ron Artest's first time back at the Palace at Auburn Hills since the infamous brawl there on November 19th, 2004.

Bets on how many people get punched this time?

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #10
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slow month...

More Al Harrington news.

According to LA Radio AM 570, Hawks approached the Lakers for a Mihm+Filler deal for Al Harrington. They first asked for Bynum, Smush, plus first rounder. No idea if this has legs or not, and no idea why they would want Mihm instead of Bynum+Smush+First Rounder.

Also, more internet speculation. Bobcats has around 31 million on payroll saving up for future prospects, the NBA minimum is 39 million meaning if they don't use that 7 million, they would have to use that to give money to current players. So, one idea a hoopsworld writer had was send trade excemption to LA for Mihm plus other one year players like a McKie or Cook, Lakers uses first rounder and excemption to get Al Harrington saving the Hawks money and giving them a first rounder.

I'm not clear on the details, but that is some Harrington pipe dreams to LA.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

This made the LA Times too but was quickly dismissed. It's a case of boredom if you ask me but here's the link...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_18322.shtml

Honestly, I didn't even read it that closely.

Harrington and Brown with overpaid salaries and overrated skills fighting for time at the 4?

Another year of Laker basketball...(sigh)

EDIT: Kwame was cleared in his sexual assault case due to lack of evidence.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 08-07-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Slow month...

More Al Harrington news.

According to LA Radio AM 570, Hawks approached the Lakers for a Mihm+Filler deal for Al Harrington. They first asked for Bynum, Smush, plus first rounder. No idea if this has legs or not, and no idea why they would want Mihm instead of Bynum+Smush+First Rounder.
They need Mihm in the deal to make the salaries work. The Lakers are way over the cap and Smush and Bynum are to make just under three mil combined next season. Mihm's salary brings it up closer to 8 mil which I think is in the ballpark of what Harrington is looking at a year. I doubt this has too much to it though as the Lakers have never been rumored to be in serious contention for him.

Quote:
Also, more internet speculation. Bobcats has around 31 million on payroll saving up for future prospects, the NBA minimum is 39 million meaning if they don't use that 7 million, they would have to use that to give money to current players. So, one idea a hoopsworld writer had was send trade excemption to LA for Mihm plus other one year players like a McKie or Cook, Lakers uses first rounder and excemption to get Al Harrington saving the Hawks money and giving them a first rounder.
I doubt there is much to this either. The scenario they mention of giving to guys like Felton, Wallace, etc. seems more likely. Wallace is due a new deal after the upcoming season and kicking some money his way would entice him to stick around.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #13
fearthehawk47
Cleveland Rocks

fearthehawk47 is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to watch all of the amazing LeBron/Wade matchups this year, they really went crazy when playing each other last year, and it will happen again this year. Cleveland and Miami split the season series 2-2.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #14
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
They need Mihm in the deal to make the salaries work. The Lakers are way over the cap and Smush and Bynum are to make just under three mil combined next season. Mihm's salary brings it up closer to 8 mil which I think is in the ballpark of what Harrington is looking at a year. I doubt this has too much to it though as the Lakers have never been rumored to be in serious contention for him.
Atlanta would be fools to trade Harrington for that, but then again, Knight is calling the shots. Aaron McKie, a first-rounder and Bynum would do the trick, but LA won't give up on Andrew so soon (and rightfully so).

I doubt the Lakers will do much more with their team because their cap is so horrible. In 2007 they will look much better, with only $40m in guaranteed contracts. What the Lakers hope to do is move Kobe to the 3, Lamar to the 4 and hope Mihm stays healthy. Farmar continues to develop into their future PG and Bynum is a ways away.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think McKie's salary is enough to make the deal work though. He is only due 2.5 from the Lakers and I don't think his salary with Bynum's is nearly enough to offset the salary Harrington is looking for.
Closed Thread