Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 09-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road
Default Greatest Alltime Rivalries

Did you see the ESPN top 20 alltime best rivalries show? I was really disappointed in that one. I usually can get the top 5 in most of those, but this one shocked me. I thought for sure that Connors/McEnroe would be in the top 3 or 5. And it wasn't even on the list. I suppose they forgot all about it, along with the Florida St/Miami football game.

I did agree with Army/Navy for sure, but putting a woman's college basketball rivalry on the list? What was that all about?

And I think they wasted 2 spots by listing both Lakers/Celtics and Celtics/76ers, and then again putting Bird/Magic and Russell/Chamberlain. They should have just combined the two because teams wouldn't have been without the 2 players themselves.

I didn't like the fact that number 1 was the Red Sox/Yankee Rivalry for several reasons. It is totally one sided so except for last couple years unless you were a Yankee/Red Sox fan, who cared. Yes, should have been in top 4 or 5, but not over Army/Navy, Ali/Fraser, or Connors/McEnroe.

I say Army/Navy for the length of time, pagentry, and national pride.
Ali/Fraser for the magnitude of each of those bouts world wide.
Connors/McEnroe because of its greatness and how it elevated the sport.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

While I hate all of the Big Ten talk that dominates the college football forum here at SCMB, I would put Ohio State and Michigan near the top of the list.

Also, as far as colleges are concerned, North Carolina and Duke basketball.

And for individual rivalries, I will take Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:42 AM   #3
eric
Grizzled Veteran

eric is on a distinguished road

I agree it is UM/OSU in college football. Yanks/BoSox in baseball, Duke/UNC in college basketball, Connors/McEnroe in Tennis, Player/Palmer/Nicklaus/Watson in Golf, Packers/Bears in the NFL, Red Wings/Avalanche in the NHL
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I'll throw my biased opinion in the mix for the NFL and say anytime two of the NFC East teams face off both teams pack lunch and dinner as it is usually a dogfight no matter how bad the teams are.

I cannot say as I am shocked that ESPN would put Yanks/Sox at the top of the list. Seeing as they give those two teams the most coverage and all but openly campaign and root for those two teams on-air I am not surprised at all. One of the few things I agree with Colin Cowherd on when he says ESPN does not realize that baseball does not begin and end in the AL East.

And, of course, being a Cards fan it does not get any better than Cards/Cubs for me.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What about Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock?

To be settled, presumably once and for all, on October 10th (and how did you like my man Rashad Evans last night?).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Yankees/Red Sox for me, being a Yankees fan. It seems like anytime these teams play there's just a different intensity in the air then usual. Each team always give it their all for these matchups.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Hoosier Daddy
Sports Enthusiast

Hoosier Daddy is on a distinguished road

What about Notre Dame -vs- USC, and Bill Lambier -vs- everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What about Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock?

To be settled, presumably once and for all, on October 10th (and how did you like my man Rashad Evans last night?).
Lot's of hype, to be sure in that rivalry, but not much competition. I think I'll take Lidell -vs- Coture as the best rivalry in the UFC.

Tim.
Hoosier Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

For me it is the Yankees/Red Sox, Army/Navy game as the top 2. After that it is mainly personal picks such as Dodgers/Giants, UCLA/USC and Lakers/Celtics. I also think Ohio State/Michigan is one of the biggest and many other college football rivalries would make the list.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:01 AM   #9
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

I didn't see the ESPN piece (which is just as well, because it sounds like it would have pissed me off). Some that come to mind, and this isn't necessarily in order, nor is it an all-inclusive list:

NFL
Washington-Dallas
Bears-Packers
Browns-Steelers
Raiders-Chiefs

MLB
Yankees-Red Sox
Cards-Cubs

NBA
Celts-Lakers OR Bird-Magic (not both)

College Football
Army-Navy
Michigan-OSU
Florida-FSU-Miami
Alabama-Auburn
Nebraska-Oklahoma

College Basketball
Duke-Carolina (and Maryland when they're good)

Tennis
Evert-Navratilova
Borg-McEnroe-Connors-Llendl
Sampras-Agassi

Boxing
Ali-Frazier

Yankees-Red Sox would NOT be #1 on the list of anyone except a Red Sox fan or an ESPN employee. Ridiculous.

I think I like Ali-Frazier or Chrissy-Martina at the top. For teams, give me one from the NFL (Washington-Dallas or Green Bay-Chicago), NBA (Celtics-Lakers), or College Football (Army-Navy or Michigan-OSU).
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
LA sports
I love LA!

I'm not a Red Sox fan or an employee of ESPN and I think it is the most bitter and storied rivalry in sports. I could see if people did not have it as one of their top picks because they are not a baseball fan but to say it is ridiculous is actually the ridiculous thing to say. You don't even have the Dodger/Giant rivalry mentioned but you did mention the Cards/Cubs rivalry so I take it you are not a big follower of baseball Brad O. and that's fine if your not, but it is in noway ridiculous to have the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry at the top.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

There are a lot of good rivalries I left off my list. I can understand that the Dodgers/Giants rivalry is near to your heart as a Dodger fan, but I just don't see it as being among the very top. There's room for a difference of opinion without my ceasing to be a baseball fan. Regarding Yanks/Sox, I'm not denying that it is a storied rivalry, but I do think putting it #1 overall is ridiculous. It's one-sided, loses most of its intensity when the teams aren't good (which isn't true for something like Army-Navy), and generates much less interest away from the East Coast than it does in New York, Boston, and Bristol.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:02 AM   #12
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05 View Post
Yankees/Red Sox for me, being a Yankees fan. It seems like anytime these teams play there's just a different intensity in the air then usual. Each team always give it their all for these matchups.
You said it bro... I got to hit 2 of the 5 games in Boston (the sweep :redhot: ) and it was just so electric. Yankee fans in town - it was a great time.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #13
LA sports
I love LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
There are a lot of good rivalries I left off my list. I can understand that the Dodgers/Giants rivalry is near to your heart as a Dodger fan, but I just don't see it as being among the very top. There's room for a difference of opinion without my ceasing to be a baseball fan. Regarding Yanks/Sox, I'm not denying that it is a storied rivalry, but I do think putting it #1 overall is ridiculous. It's one-sided, loses most of its intensity when the teams aren't good (which isn't true for something like Army-Navy), and generates much less interest away from the East Coast than it does in New York, Boston, and Bristol.
One of your reasons for saying that the Sox/Yanks is ridiculous to have at #1 is because it is a one-sided rivalry yet you still listed it as a top MLB rivalry. The Dodgers/Giants have played eachother over 2,000 times and they are within 40 wins of eachother in the all-time series, can't get a whole lot closer than that. They have had numerous brawls including being beaten over the head with a bat. They have had numerous occasions of knocking eachother out of playoff contention and clinching playoff berths against eachother. I would say these are most of the things that make an incredible rivalry. I should not have said this means a person is not a baseball fan it just probably means they don't follow it very closely and are not aware of it's history. IMO if you follow baseball there is noway you can say that the Dodger/Giant rivalry is not among the tops in baseball or any other sport. To me it's not bias it's simply fact. But they are just our opinions I guess, I'm just glad my opinion is right.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #14
Ravana
Revolution w/b improvised

Ravana is on a distinguished road

Didn't see the show, but I do know that in two previous fan polls, the OSU/Michigan rivalry was listed as the best rivalry of all time, in any sport. Somehow, I can't see all the voters having been from the Big Ten....

The problem with listing the "top 20" like this is that there are so many that can't be included. There are probably fifty good NCAA football rivalries alone that deserve to be considered, from Harvard/Yale and Army/Navy to USC/UCLA (and, oh how much difference that one made this year!) and Alabama/Auburn. Geez... Texas/Texas A&M, Texas/Texas Tech, Michigan/MSU, Notre Dame/Michigan and MSU—and USC, Ole Miss/Mississippi State, Auburn/LSU... even Grambling/Southern deserves to be in there. The Florida rivalries have been good ones, but they've also been recent ones, for the most part, which is why they didn't place near the top.

People have already commented on most of the other sports. I would add that several very good tennis rivalries existed over the years: not just Connors/McEnroe (arguably the best), but also Connors/Borg, Borg/McEnroe, and Navratilova/Evert, among many others... Sampras/Agassi being possibly the most recent "classic" rivalry. Not sure if anything since then has arisen that deserves equal recognition; I'm not following tennis as closely as I used to.

And—to do a quick one-eighty—who can forget Waltrip/Earnhart?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
Slider
Rookie Player

Slider is on a distinguished road
Default Sox Yankees

I didn't see the show either, what was it called? When did it air? Does anyone remember?
My comment on the rivalry issue is that the Sox vs Yankee rivalry predates baseball to the days before the American Revolution when Boston stood for separation from the Crown while the loyalists in NY wanted to stay the course. So, the rivalry is between cities, philosophies, not just teams therefore transcending the world of sport. The only other rivalry I see even close to this is Harvard vs Yale. But, I agree with much of the writing here, too much is made of the Yankee vs Red Sox games, especially in the early season. Like dissecting a marathon in the first two miles.
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote