Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default Gun Control

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-22-20-36-58

Can we all agree that mentally ill people shouldn't be allowed to own guns?

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

We can probably all be considered mentally ill by one doctor or another
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
We can probably all be considered mentally ill by one doctor or another
Good point

Let's be more specific then. How about individuals who have been institutionalize for mental illness. On top of that, any individual diagnosed with any of the following:

schizophrenia
manic depressive disorder
suffering from homocidal dellusions
bipolar disorder
psychotic rage
(any others?)

Can we agree that these people shouldn't own guns?

Think Fresh.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-22-20-36-58

Can we all agree that mentally ill people shouldn't be allowed to own guns?
Can we all agree that a gun is what saved many in the latest MALL SHOOTING SPREE? Well, doesn't matter, because it's the truth.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
Can we all agree that a gun is what saved many in the latest MALL SHOOTING SPREE? Well, doesn't matter, because it's the truth.
DETMURDS,

Do you think insane people should be allowed to carry guns? It's really a simple question.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Quote:
DETMURDS,

Do you think insane people should be allowed to carry guns? It's really a simple question.
I hear you on this, but sometimes people just snap. I had a buddy that had everything, one day he turned up missing, and was later was found with arms, and legs slit,....done by himself,...he is dead. This was last year, and it was on the local Seattle news big time. He was a retired Navy Commander, Assitant Officer in Charge of the Naval Brig I retired out of, and he had a beautiful home and family. Again,....some people just "snap".

We can make laws all day and all night, but will they always stop bad things from happening?....no way.

Afterall, drugs are not legal, look at all the violators out there!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good point

Let's be more specific then. How about individuals who have been institutionalize for mental illness. On top of that, any individual diagnosed with any of the following:

schizophrenia
manic depressive disorder
suffering from homocidal dellusions
bipolar disorder
psychotic rage
(any others?)

Can we agree that these people shouldn't own guns?
I've been institutionalized for mental illess Was diagnosed as chronic depressive if I remember right. It was a long time ago, I was 15 or 16, and it was really my father being unable to deal with me. My neighbor at the time had recently done the same with her son, and he thought it might be a good idea.

Most of the people in with me were nothing I would call crazy. At worst they were a little more messed up than your average teen Not to mention you can voluntarily admit yourself to a mental institution, and I would think there are at least some who do so and are never a threat to anyone. And with our society's obsession with diverting blame, I think way too many people end up under some kind of mental health care that don't need to.

My point is that it's hard to make the kind of distinction you want to here. I understand your point, and certainly it's valid sometimes, but where do you draw those lines?

Keeping guns out of the hands of those convicted of violent crimes I'm fine with. Even non-violent I would be fine with; crime has a price. But the mental health issue is a much more complex one I think.

On a side note, I think I was worse off after I left said institution than I was going in. I wasn't 'cured', my insurance ran out :lol:
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
We can make laws all day and all night, but will they always stop bad things from happening?....no way.
Of course we can not stop all bad things from happening, but the idea is to LESSEN the amount of bad things. Preventing people who are ALREADY INSANE from purchasing guns will without doubt prevent murders from happening.

Quote:
Afterall, drugs are not legal, look at all the violators out there!
Interesting you bring this up. What do you think causes more deaths per year: gun shot wounds or drug over-doses?

Think Fresh.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
But the mental health issue is a much more complex one I think.
I agree, and I guess we can not simply say, "if you have been institutionalized, you can not own a gun." A very close friend of mine is considered "mentally unstable" but is the most peaceful guy in the world.

I simply think that there are some cases (such as the VT shooter) that should be prevented from purchasing weapons. This guy had publicly voiced his desire to kill large amounts of people. He had 2 women report that he was stocking them.

In fact, laws are in place to prevent people like Cho from purchasing weapons, but hardcore Pro-Gun people prevent the enforcement of such laws.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:31 AM   #10
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Quote:
Of course we can not stop all bad things from happening, but the idea is to LESSEN the amount of bad things. Preventing people who are ALREADY INSANE from purchasing guns will without doubt prevent murders from happening.

Interesting you bring this up. What do you think causes more deaths per year: gun shot wounds or drug over-doses?

Better yet, what do you think costs the government (you and I in taxes!) the most? Here is a hint,...caring for all the drug addicts in prison! We are adding two more units to a facility that houses 70% "Meth-Heads"! THAT IS SICKENING!

These people don't even care about themselves,...it has been way too many times I've had these inmates say they are going right back to that crap when they get released! Even after all the time, money, and effort put into thier rehabilitation.

Last edited by DETMURDS; 04-24-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

How about this Fresh -- if you have been adjudged incompetent for any reason, you may not own a firearm, OK?
I agree that we could all be considered to be mentally ill under the wrong circumstances. Everyone acts in irrational ways at times.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Better yet, what do you think costs the government (you and I in taxes!) the most? Here is a hint,...caring for all the drug addicts in prison! We are adding two more units to a facility that houses 70 "Meth-Heads"! THAT IS SICKENING!

These people don't even care about themselves,...it has been way too many times I've had these inmates say they are going right back to that crap when they get released! Even after all the time, money, and effort put into thier rehabilitation.
All the more reason to legalize... but that is for another thread.

Quote:
How about this Fresh -- if you have been adjudged incompetent for any reason, you may not own a firearm, OK?
I agree that we could all be considered to be mentally ill under the wrong circumstances. Everyone acts in irrational ways at times.
I'd like to make sure that nobody who is insane can own a gun. Unfortunately there will be no progress on this issue. Any type of restrictions on guns gets the NRA up in arms. They would rather have the entire US population walking around with rocket launchers, shooting anyone who looks at them wrong. The Democrats have no back-bone, especially on this issue.

The gun control issue is lost. My party has no interest in fighting that battle, and the other side refuse to make any compromise, no matter how reasonable it may be.

Seriously, many people within the NRA want hollow-point bullets to be legal. They want anti-tank missile launchers to be legalized.

I don't know, I am all for your right to own a rifle, and I've given up on the hand-gun debate. But I don't think it is too much to ask that we prevent insane people from buying guns.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Quote:
All the more reason to legalize... but that is for another thread.

I'd like to make sure that nobody who is insane can own a gun. Unfortunately there will be no progress on this issue. Any type of restrictions on guns gets the NRA up in arms. They would rather have the entire US population walking around with rocket launchers, shooting anyone who looks at them wrong. The Democrats have no back-bone, especially on this issue.

The gun control issue is lost. My party has no interest in fighting that battle, and the other side refuse to make any compromise, no matter how reasonable it may be.

Seriously, many people within the NRA want hollow-point bullets to be legal. They want anti-tank missile launchers to be legalized.

I don't know, I am all for your right to own a rifle, and I've given up on the hand-gun debate. But I don't think it is too much to ask that we prevent insane people from buying guns.
Well CKFresh, I think you are insane for saying legalize it,...therefore, no gun for you too!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Well CKFresh, I think you are insane for saying legalize it,...therefore, no gun for you too!
Seriously, move this conversation to the appropriate thread, repost your stance on drug users in another thread and I will respond...

As for "no gun for me," I say fine. I will never find myself in a situation where I need a gun and any conflict I am in can be resolved without a gun. Having guns around makes me nervous. So please, keep your guns at home when you come to visit - you got that DETMURDS?

Think Fresh.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Quote:
Seriously, move this conversation to the appropriate thread, repost your stance on drug users in another thread and I will respond...

As for "no gun for me," I say fine. I will never find myself in a situation where I need a gun and any conflict I am in can be resolved without a gun. Having guns around makes me nervous. So please, keep your guns at home when you come to visit - you got that DETMURDS?
I have been required to shoot various types of weapons while in the Navy for the last 21 years, as well as for my current occupation with the Dept of Corrections.

Therefore, I get paid to handle them, and I am a professional.