Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

luke broadbent is on a distinguished road
Default Australian Open 2009

Well, just over a week away and it's shaping up nicely. Murray appears to be up there with Nadal and Federer now. In fact, some bookmakers here in England have Murray as favourite for the Aussie Open! Not sure I agree with that, I think I would still take Federer over Murray in a 5-set match.

Roddick was pretty good this week but his lack of variation cost him in the final against Murray. However, he does have really good coach in Larry Stefanki. Hopefully, for Roddick's sake he helps to add to his game. I think Roddick could do with using the drop shot a bit more, especially against thetop guys, as his drop shot is a pretty good asset.

Anyway, not sure he's played yet this year but I fancy Gilles Simon to go far. He's never made it past the 3rd round of a Grand Slam but with wins against Federer and Nadal towards the end of last he should fear nobody. Also, he is the master of defence, making his opponents play plenty of shots. I reckon that this will help in Australia as temperatures can get very high, and making opponents move around a lot will wear them down. Perhaps, he will "grind" his way to the title.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Last edited by luke broadbent; 01-12-2009 at 08:09 PM.
luke broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's nice to see Murray emerging as a contender at the top with Nadal and Federer. Last year, Nadal passed Federer and I will be interested to see if Federer can remain a dominant player. As for Roddick, I've always pulled for him being an American, but have given up hope for him being anything more than he is. He's peaked. He's too one-dimensional on his power game.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road

I think Murray being the favorite is based on the oddsmakers picking him. But let's not forget that the oddsmaker market in tennis is dominated by British oddsmakers. So I find the pick a bit skewed. So far, all authorities that I have heard and read on tennis agree that Murray being picked the favorite is just not warranted. The matches are based on five sets. When you have Federer, Nadal and Djokovic who have proven to get the job done in this type of setting, it's not just to pick an unproven as the contender.

It will be tough to getthings done in the evenings for two weeks, while the Australian open is on

Mert
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

Well, Murray is out. I didn't see the match but I am happy for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I can't stand Murray.

Secondly, it means that the top 8 seeds aren't all in the quarter finals. I know that technically speaking they are the best 8 players and should make it that far but it just seemed like a boring proposition to me.

Also, does anyone else think that Djokovic has no idea how to speak to the media?
Last week he said about Murray being favourite, something like, "What's his ranking? And what's mine?" So by his reckoning he won't win it either, and Nadal will win every tournament he enters.
Then he seemd to in no way whatsoever condemn the crowd violence between Bosnian and Serbian fans.

On a better note, Federer really looks like he is enjoying his tennis like he hasn't seemed to for a long time. Bizarrely, Mats Wilander thinks that Federer hasn't reached his peak yet. I normally agree with Mats, but not this time.

Did anyone see Gasquet vs Gonzalez on Saturday? Incredible quality of tennis, especially the final few games. I don't think anyone can call Gasquet a quitter any more.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke broadbent View Post
Firstly, I can't stand Murray.
Why's that, Luke?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

Well, last year just before we (Great Britain) was going to play Argentina in the Davis Cup he pulled out claiming that he was injured. Yet he played in the singles tournament a couple of days after the Davis Cup contest. Clearly he is more concerned with his own achievements than representing his country.

Then after we lost in the Davis Cup in September he came out and said that Bogdanovic hadn't tried as hard as he could have to win the deciding match. Personally, I think it's wrong to go around questioning people's efforts when there is no clear evidence to suggest he hadn't given his all. Also to crtiticse him for not trying is rather hypocritical when Bogdanovic was one of the players who bothered to compete in Argentina.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

Wow! How good was Nadal vs. Verdasco?

My predictions for the finals:
Serena to win in 3 sets.
Federer to win in 4 sets.

Either way the men's final will be historic. Either Federer equals Sampras with 14 major titles or Nadal becomes only the 4th man to win a major on hard, grass and clay, joining an illustrious class of Agassi, Connors and Wilander.

One stat I didn't know but found interesting was that all 57 of Federer's titles have been while Mirka has been his girlfriend.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Nadal wins. Federer loses and cries. I agree with the chaps on PTI (ESPN, you get it now in Britain). Federer crying after losing is unacceptable. Crying when you win or retire is one thing, but not when you lose. But perhaps it was his coming to grips with the fact that Nadal has passed him on all surfaces and his reign as No. 1 is over. Still, I love Federer and he's a classy competitor.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, the channel here is called ESPN America, though it's not all strictly ESPN programming. I have to say that I do like PTI and Around the Horn, though some of the people on Around the Horn are qute annoying, but Tony Reali makes up for that.

I don't agree that Federer crying is unacceptable. I agree with Michael Stich, who said after the match that it shows that he is still hungry and still wants to win. Nevertheless, the presentation became very awkward and difficult to watch.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road

Sorrry to be late.

I disagree with Federer crying being unacceptable too. He is an emotional guy, he cries after victories too. I think that he feels like he played a very good match for four sets, that was his best showing against Nadal since 2007 (not Wimbledon 2008 final because there he won a ton of ree points with his serve).

He actually played head-to-head with him from the baseline and at times, he was the better player (despite his serve not working). Then when he had the big letdown on the fifth set, that really disappointed him. He felt like he got the match to the fifth set with a good chance to win.

It was awkward for the presentation, I agree, and I think that is why some got that impression. I remember McEnroe refusing to speak to ther crowd and storming off the court in the French open trophy presentation when he lost Lendl, like a sore loser. Nobody seemed to criticize that as harsh as Federer. It was said that it was bad manners but that it showed McEnroe's drive to win. Now Federer does a similar thing except with a much classier behavior, and he is blasted by some for behaving like a loser.

I think if he can play like he did for the first 4 sets (I realize it's a tall order, he played unreal from the baseline), and his serve is working, he can beat Nadal.

Bud Collins, by the way, is pathetic nowadays, I am sorry. His comments were like what some drunk person in a bar would say about players and tennis. His need to be dramatic is archaic.

Mert E.
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote