Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008
 
Richard the Lionheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,869
Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default Did you guys happen to catch my appearance on Conan O'Brien?

http://barefootmeg.multiply.com/video/item/56
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Very nice Ricky.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,865
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

I don't understand what's going on here.

Someone dumb it down for me and then explain.

Thank you.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008
 
Richard the Lionheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,869
Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default

Don't worry, buck. It's not that complicated. I just found a funny clip from an episode of Conan O'Brien that I happen to agree with 100%. I think you will enjoy it as well.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
Don't worry, buck. It's not that complicated. I just found a funny clip from an episode of Conan O'Brien that I happen to agree with 100%. I think you will enjoy it as well.
Perhaps the part about the younger generation will resonate with buck as well... I know I'm going out on a limb with that prediction
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,865
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

To be honest with ya, I don't agree with that take.

Things were better yesteryear cuz life had structure and forced personal responsibility and accountability.

When he talks about people complaining when the cell phone goes out or a bad plane ride today...that really is something to complain about because the reason why things like that go bad today isn't due to lack of technology (as was the case using the rotary phone) it's due to lack of accountability and personal responsibility on someone's part. Or...and more likely...due to some financial restraint b.s.

Now, perhaps the younger crowd gets upset cuz it doesn't meet their need of instant gratification and pleasing. In fact, I know that's why they get upset cuz they've been given everything for no reason at all.

But for me, I get pissed when s-hit goes bad cuz if I had my way...it would still be horse and buggy, Bell's original phone and the Wright Bros plane. The technology and craftsmanship are inferior but the era they came from was surrounded by people who got the job done no matter what. Today, that's impossible. You are forced to be at the mercy of technology cuz the younger generation's laziness and cost cutting.

99% of inconvenience today is due to laziness, lack of accountability/personal responsibility. 99% of inconvenience yesterday was due to inferior technology.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
99% of inconvenience today is due to laziness, lack of accountability/personal responsibility. 99% of inconvenience yesterday was due to inferior technology.
I think that is exactly his point...
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,865
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
I think that is exactly his point...
Yes, but that's a reason to complain CK.

Things in the old days didn't get done not from a lack of trying/accountability or work ethic. They didn't get done cuz technology was primitive.

Things today don't get done cuz people are lazy/no work ethic/no accountability.

So when he complains that people today complain too much...he's wrong. You should complain if you're old enough to remember when most of your daily activities were met by competency as best could be provided.

This is our generational divide again. Results (you) over attempts (me - old folks).

I never have a problem with a failed attempt as long as it's honest and sincere. I just haven't seen one since 1979.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Yes, but that's a reason to complain CK.

Things in the old days didn't get done not from a lack of trying/accountability or work ethic. They didn't get done cuz technology was primitive.

Things today don't get done cuz people are lazy/no work ethic/no accountability.

So when he complains that people today complain too much...he's wrong. You should complain if you're old enough to remember when most of your daily activities were met by competency as best could be provided.
Again, I think you are making the same point he is.

On the larger point, the "baby boomers" are to be blamed for everything that you mention here. They created and rule the world that we live in now. You make your own bed so they say.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,865
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Again, I think you are making the same point he is.

On the larger point, the "baby boomers" are to be blamed for everything that you mention here. They created and rule the world that we live in now. You make your own bed so they say.
No, I'm not making the same point.

The fact you don't get this CK is pretty much the point. It isn't a generational thing in terms of the technology...it's a generational thing in terms of what to get pissed over.

Listen to the take again. He's saying that in the old days things were primitive and took time/energy to do. It was a b-itch in that sense...sure. But 99% of inconvenience was simply due to the primitive nature of things. It had nothing to do with laziness/incompetence. In that world...which is before your time...people didn't b-itch and moan about those inconveniences because the majority of the time you were accepting the plain fact that while things may have been difficult in the sense of technology at the very least it wasn't due to incompetence/laziness as is the case now.

That's where I disagree with him. We should be pissed today because accountability and personal responsibility is something we can control. It's something we had already conquered to a large degree.

That is the point I'm making. In today's world, when you combine the unnecessary crippling technology advanced by my generation and then adopted by yours... and combine it with the complete and utter lack of accountability/personal responsibility of your generation...we are now paralazyed.

Let me give you an example -

Last semester ended in mid-January. We are forced to do grades on the computer. Younger teachers of your ilk don't even use old fashion gradebooks anymore. They dotcom everything.

Me?

I use the old fashion gradebook and tell them to never trust this box. The grades are official in my gradebook. Just because this thing says so don't mean it is so.

So last January, as grades were due on the Thursday of MLK Day week, the computers "go down".

So, we have a completely paralyzing situation...especially for the younger teachers (actually...I only know one other guy who does it my way).

Now, is that a reason to be pissed?

ABSOLUTELY.

Thursday comes and all thru the day they got the kids in suits pushin' the buttons tryin' to make this thing go. Meanwhile, my grades are ready and official. If it was my rule of law, I woulda just sent 'em out by mail straight out of the gradebook but no...the talking box is "easier" they tell me.

Well, Thursday ends and this thing still ain't operational. Friday comes and all thru the day rumor has it we may have to stay later or come in on Saturday if and when they fix theses boxes.

Uh, I don't think so. It ain't in my contract and it ain't my problem. But...sure enough...Friday afternoon school ends and the box still ain't up and running. The young teachers sit there and take it. Me? I make copies of my official grades out of my gradebook, put them in a folder and give 'em to an admin when the last bell rings.

And I'll tell you what I told that kid as I walked out the door...

"This ain't my problem. Work ethic and accountability isn't my shortcoming. It's yours. Here are my grades. See ya Monday."

And that's the how it goes nowadays CK.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
And that's the how it goes nowadays CK.
And the baby boomers are to blame for the world we've inherited, including the lack of accountability you speak of.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,865
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
And the baby boomers are to blame for the world we've inherited, including the lack of accountability you speak of.
It's sad really.

You're this myopic and believe that you and your generation have been the first to be lied to. Guess that comes from the self-centeredness of youth plus sitting on the sidelines.

Pathetic.

Placing blame can be generational CK, but you take it on as a personal quest. I understand functioning in a world where pragmatism means philosophical application and accountability means blame after a result rather than examing outcome after an honest attempt has hampered you...and most of your generation...not all...into becoming willing participants in the paralyzing nature of our culture but excuse me if I don't play along.

The fact that you don't understand the difference between blame and accountability is testament to some of the negatives your generation/culture have not only accepted (after being lied to) but embraced as an identity.

Postscript:

I would say you'd understand the above paragraph when you get older...but I have little hope.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Yes buck, how deep of you.

If you were half as interesting as you think you are, this board would be thriving. But you're nothing more than a bitter asshole with an obvious lack of self esteem.

Get over yourself
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc
 
Jaguar Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgia & North Carolina
Posts: 343
Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Yes buck, how deep of you.

If you were half as interesting as you think you are, this board would be thriving. But you're nothing more than a bitter asshole with an obvious lack of self esteem.

Get over yourself
Isn't that a contradiction? ("obvious lack of self esteem/get over yourself"?)
__________________
If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?
Jaguar Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,865
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Yes buck, how deep of you.

If you were half as interesting as you think you are, this board would be thriving. But you're nothing more than a bitter asshole with an obvious lack of self esteem.

Get over yourself
Jeez, what crawled in you? Still pissy cuz I won't let you pose as some hardship case when in reality you just had a s-hitty father?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conan O'Brien to Replace Leno on Tonight Show in 2009!!!!! Habs Fan The Lounge 34 03-02-2005 11:39 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.