Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 05-07-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default Mike Hampton

Somebody please tell me, are these rumors true!!!??? Rumors that the Rockies want to trade staff ace Mike Hampton before the trading deadline July 31st ? This leauge is so freakin' dumb!!!!! Gosh!! You sign a player to a huge, sever-year deal, his first year and a half doesn't go so well ( he's in Colorado) and then you trade him? That is s***!!!!!!

I'm sorry for exploding but that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. By next year, with two years under his belt in Colorado, he would be back to his old self, but noooo, they have to trade him. It's worst excuse for trading somebody I've ever heard!!!!
Old 05-07-2002, 06:20 PM   #2
diggerboy3
All-Star Player

diggerboy3 is on a distinguished road

And you think this is dumb? look at all the dumb trades over the years.Go back to the Babe! He put that curse on Boston when they traded him to the Yankees.Maybe Mike can put one on the Rockies.
diggerboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 06:42 PM   #3
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I don't think its dumb. Actually, I think its a good idea, they could probably still get good value for him and that ERA isn't worth that contract, no matter who it is or where he's pitching. The Rockies need to concentrate on the offense with their money and develop young, cheap pitching. Personally, I don't think Mike Hampton is going to recover in Colorado.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:23 AM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree with Brandon, it doesn't seem so ridiculous to me. He hasn't played well in Colorado and both would benefit from a trade. If they could get some young, cheaper pitching to solidfy their future, I don't see why not.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 01:00 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Mike Hampton is a "flyball" pitcher, therefore he is not a good fit in Colorado. The ball carries very well there causing flyball pitchers allow a lot of runs. If he were to go back to Houston or possibly go to a ballpark where the ball doesn't carry as well, ie Comerica Park, perhaps he'd get his stuff back and be worth the big contract he's signed. Lord knows the Tigers could use some pitching. They have some decent prospects in the minors that the could trade for him and maybe Bobby Higginson would allow a trade to Colorado. Higginson could fit in well with the Rockies. He is a good defensive outfielder with good speed and a bit of pop in his bat. He has one of the best outfield arms in the business and seldom makes mental errors.
Just my opinion, but this could be a decent trade for both teams.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.

Last edited by catman; 05-08-2002 at 01:02 PM.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Guys, the Rockies need pitching, not offense. Trust me, they have enough. Walker, Helton, Pierre, Uribe, Ortiz, Zeile, Agbayani, Hollandsworth, they're loaded. Not to mention Jack Cust, who is hitting .330 with 11 home runs in 29 games for Triple A Colorado Springs. Neagle will win em' and lose em', Chacaon has been inconsistent, ( although he's pitching good tonight) Hampton has obviously been bad, you might as well consider John Thompson the ace, he is 4-2 with a 4.46 ERA, proving you can win with a high ERA in Colorado. Jason Jennings ahs not been that bad either. Bottom line though, if they're gonna trade him, which they shouldn't, they should trade him for a couple starters and at least three above average minor leauge pitchers. We have a Japanese pitcher in the minors, Chin Hui Tsao, who is supposed to be great, but went under the knife for TJ surgery last season. We've got a long way go, I'm suprised there hasn't been talk about contracting us.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:54 PM   #7
Brandon
is lurking...

I'm not saying trading Hampton for offense. Trading for pitchers would be a good idea. But what I'm saying, is that the Rockies should invest a long term, high dollar contract to a pitcher. They should concentrate their payroll on offense and develop young, cheap pitching. Because, pitching isn't worth money in Colorado in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:42 AM   #8
pffriberg
Grizzled Veteran

pffriberg is on a distinguished road

Sorry Catman, but Hampton isn't a "flyball" pitcher, its just that his groundball-inducing, sinking fastball doesn't sink in the thin air.

Trding Hampton isn't a bad idea, especially with all the pitching Colorado has in the minors, the problem, is will anyone give up anything good for a player with a bloated contract and will Colorado be forced to pick up part of the tab.

If Colorado can anything worthwhile for him, even if they have to pay of his contract, they should do it. Otherwise they pay his whole contract and get crappy pitching to boot...

Boston is the obvious suiter, but if they have to give up Ramirez to get Mike, it's a bad deal. Ramirez may not make the Hall, but he is that good of a hitter. You don't trade those guys.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:31 AM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

OK, Peter. You're probably right. I was refering to the way he's been pitching lately.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 10:31 AM   #10
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

TheWittyOne is on a distinguished road

Did anyone hear that the league is allow Colorado to store the baseballs at 40 percent humidity? This makes the balls heavier and helps the pitchers.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:44 AM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'd love to see Mike Hampton go to Boston or Atlanta. I think Boston would be the most viable plan for him if he can be traded or will be. He just needs to leave Colorado and soon.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:22 PM   #12
Brandon
is lurking...

Boston would be a good spot. Atlanta wanted him, but I rather see them try and lock up Maddux and Glavine for a couple more years and develop the young ones instead of adding his bloated contract.

As for the humiditor, I think its a good idea. You need some tinkering here or there to try and normalize Coors somewhat.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:10 AM   #13
pffriberg
Grizzled Veteran

pffriberg is on a distinguished road

If Atlanta's smart, they steer well clear of him, that or they let Greg and Tom go. They can't afford 3 pitchers who are 30+ who all have $10+ yearly contracts. Sure they're a high revenue team. But if allocate $35-45 mil for three pitchers, one who may regain his form, and two are still formidable, but are defnately over the hill, it doesn't leave much to pay for other things, especailly when Andruw makes $12, Chipper $15, and Gary $11. That's an expensive, talented, but expensive OF.