Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 06-10-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
YankeesChick
DVDA

YankeesChick is on a distinguished road
Default you all take it for granted, but i miss it

i work overnights at target, have been since april 2nd. my hours are 10pm-6am and i usually get to sleep sometime between 7am and 8am. as i lay awake in bed this morning because the sun was too bright i started to think and i realized something, i really miss sleeping at night. you have no idea how much i long for the cool night breeze coming into my open window, sleeping when its nice and dark, no birds chirping in my window, trucks not going by, sleeping while everyone else works. i think im gonna cry. :sniff: I miss you night time.
"Sex is a drug; I should know, I'm a dealer"
YankeesChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I can sleep at any given time, but I understand that you have to get adjusted to your new sleeping schedule. If the sun too bright in the morning close your blinds, and if that still lets in some of the sunlight put a blanket over the window or something. I know I have blocked the sunlight in my room before when I have slept during the day.

I can sleep in the morning, at noon, or in the evening, for it makes no difference to me. But good luck with finding better ways to sleep during the day.

Joey
Old 06-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I sleep all the time I'll email you some sleep
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I sleep much better during the day. I've been like this since I was in high school. I'd love to work nights. I pretty much hate the sun.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #5
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

I sleep around 7-8 hours a night, and that's plenty. I have trouble sleeping in the day.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

If left alone and no work without anything to wake up for, I sleep about 10-11 hours a night, which is high by the normal standards. If I get less then 7 hours a night, I'm toast the next day.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 11:19 PM   #7
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

sleeping during the day just blows... It's just too much comotion plus the sun, no matter how hard I try, seems to always beam through the blinders!
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:05 AM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I work as a nurse in a VA facility, so my hours are quite variable. I enjoy working the night shift (10-6) and don't really have any trouble sleeping, if I get to bed before 9 or stay up until after noon.
I usually work the 2-10 shift and sleep best from about 2 or 3 until about 7 or 8 in the morning.
I don't do the early morning shift, unless I need to do so. I don't like having all the people around and bustle.
Enjoy the night shift. It isn't too bad. If you have trouble sleeping, get better blinds over your windows or try taking a walk in the morning after you get home.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #9
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

I can just picture everyone who works nights walking around in the streets
Old 06-11-2003, 09:46 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I wonder why stores like Target even stay open 24 hours. I can understand why a 7-11 might stay open for business all night, but do people actually go shopping at Target a 2 AM? How do they even make a profit?

It seems you'd pay workers more than you would make in profit in the overnight shifts. But, since I've never been shopping at Target at 2 AM, I'll have to take Amy's word for it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:34 PM   #11
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I wonder why stores like Target even stay open 24 hours. I can understand why a 7-11 might stay open for business all night, but do people actually go shopping at Target a 2 AM? How do they even make a profit?

It seems you'd pay workers more than you would make in profit in the overnight shifts. But, since I've never been shopping at Target at 2 AM, I'll have to take Amy's word for it.
Marc, which stores like Target stay open late night/early morning. I haven't encountered one around here...

I would believe that Amy's job is a stocking job after the store is closed, that's when stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart stock their shelves. I also hear it pays pretty decently.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:41 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Oh, considering I've never worked a job like Target, I don't know all that well, but I never thought of it that way. I just envisioned it as being open and her working there, but you're right that it's probably stocking shelves and whatnot while the store is closed. I stand corrected.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:57 PM   #13
JagZone
Jagadelic Since 1997

JagZone is on a distinguished road

I know our full-time stock crew works midnight-8am and it really isn't too bad once you get use to the sleeping routine. Its also great casue there's no customers in the store at all and everyone is in an awesome mood.
JagZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:06 PM   #14
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Sleep.... whats that?!?! I have a 3 month old son.... I've not slept more than 4 hours a night since he came home

But he's worth it

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:04 AM   #15
YankeesChick
DVDA

YankeesChick is on a distinguished road

Brandon is right. it is a stocking job. we are supposed to start at 10 and leave at 6 but lately its been more like leave at 6:30-7:00. im getting paid an hour more than my other jobs, still not a lot but its good enough. its hard work ill tell you that much, but i enjoy it because i like to be kept working and its much better than dealing with actual people.

we unload the truck, put the boxes on pallets, throw the boxes down the correct aisles and very very quickly put the product on the shelves. we get anything from 1400-2000 piece truck each night.
"Sex is a drug; I should know, I'm a dealer"
YankeesChick is offline   Reply With Quote