Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 06-25-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road
Default Computer Security

I used to think my computer was safe from anything. Recently I've been infected by viruses a couple of times, and today I thought I was being hacked (my pointer moved by itself a couple of times, and I kept toggling back and forth between windows without doing anything). So I installed a copy of ZoneAlarm Pro. I don't really think much of firewalls, but I wanted to test. It's been running about 10 minutes and has blocked almost 60 intrusions. I'm shocked. (However, I'm unsure whether these intrusions are actual hack attempts or simply various information transfer like cookies and such) What about your security situation?
Old 06-25-2003, 06:46 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Not worried about it. 7 years on the Internet... 1 or 2 minor "viruses" that never did a thing to harm my system.

No "anti-virus" software or anything.... anti-virus software is only as good as the minute it is made and is looooooooooong out of the date by the time it hits the shelves and you buy it and install it on your computer.

Be wise as to what you download and what sites you visit, and you will never have problems. "Anti-virus" software gives you a false sense of security, and also slow down your system.

DOWN WITH McAFEE. UP WITH PERSONAL DECISIONS.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
JagZone
Jagadelic Since 1997

JagZone is on a distinguished road

AC is actually grabbing Firewall and virus?! You can't say we never told you so!! ALthoguh I'm still using the free ZA and its working fine.
JagZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:53 PM   #4
air_canada
Youngster

No antivirus, Kevin. I don't like antivirus. It just creates problems. However, I installed a copy of ZAPro, and it's found 290 intrusions by now (3 high-rated). As for viruses, the last time I had any they'd infected 5000 files on my hard drive and were causing errors everywhere. However, nowadays I just take a periodical scan with TrendMicro's HouseCall online scan. I won't install any antivirus software, I once had McAfee and it screwed with me, same for Norton.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:07 PM   #5
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

My AOL account was recently hacked into and my email was used to syphon off hundreds of cell phone adds. lol
Old 06-26-2003, 08:38 AM   #6
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Sam alot of those "intrusions" aren't hackers. Alot of them are attempts to see if you're still connected to a service. Just basic pings back and forth.

I don't use anti-virus...i find it really bogs down a system. Just use your common sense and chances are you won't get infected. If I get a suspicious file from someone I trust, I just send it to my hotmail address and let hotmail auto scan it for me. But that's only with word documents ...I don't accept any executables from anyone and I have macro's turned off in word/excel.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:47 AM   #7
air_canada
Youngster

That's what I figured (see first post), but still, some of the Source DNS's come from the same ISP and some come from various sites I've never heard of. I don't know exactly what it means, but oh well.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:51 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Changing your tone, Sam? https://www.sports-central.org/commu...light=firewall

For anyone with a broadband connection, a firewall is a must. Same for AV -- there are great free solutions available such as AVG from Grisoft.com or traditional retail versions like Norton, which I've used for years. I have never been a fan of McAfee, but have also never had problems with AV.

AV can slow down your system? Maybe in 1998 or '99, but not in this day of 2 Ghz+ systems. They can handle AV with ease ... don't give me that. Many modern systems can do heavy-duty things such as video editing and gaming.

And what matters is not what version of AV software you have, but how often you keep it up-to-date. All you do is set it to download new virus definitions regularly and you are automatically protected. So that's another lame excuse against AV.

Sam, how is ZA Pro for you? Did you buy it online? I have always used the free version and it has all the features I need.

In a day and age when new flaws are discovered all the time and when you can get viruses just by OPENING AN E-MAIL, there is no excuse except stubborness to run AV to prevent a disaster. To me, my files are not worth risking for being stubborn. AV is not a "newbie" item, it is an essential for any smart user.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #9
air_canada
Youngster

Oh, Marc... I got this ZAP from a friend... he got it recently but didn't like it.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:24 AM   #10
JagZone
Jagadelic Since 1997

JagZone is on a distinguished road

As for AV protection my AV doesn't slow down my comp. at all. I use AVG from grisoft.com. Its free and works great
JagZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:25 AM   #11
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by JagZone
As for AV protection my AV doesn't slow down my comp. at all. I use AVG from grisoft.com. Its free and works great
Yeah thats what I use.... its great.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:12 AM   #12
RaviPachai18

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc

AV can slow down your system? Maybe in 1998 or '99, but not in this day of 2 Ghz+ systems. They can handle AV with ease ... don't give me that. Many modern systems can do heavy-duty things such as video editing and gaming.
Don't make the assumption that everyone runs out and buys the newest processor on the market. Your average consumer doesn't have a 2Ghz machine. In fact, mostly everyone I know is running a processor with less than 1 Ghz of processing power. Maybe YOU run out and buy a new processor every 4 months but I can't say I do.

I have to agree with Lee. I've had alot of experience with computers and if you use your common sense you will avoid infection. AV doesn't work in a mysterious way, if you think about it, anything it does to avoid infection of a new virus...you can do that yourself. It can protect you from older viruses...sure...but we already know about those? So, what's it good for?

And maybe AV doesn't slow down your system when you're surfing the web and reading some articles but try running some CPU intensive processes (Photoshop / Compilers / etc etc ) and have AV try to monitor local files as well as any downloaded files and it WILL slow down your system.

I've been on broadband for three years, and for the last two I have been behind a router with a firewall installed. Even with the firewall I keep the DMZ host open most of the time and I've never had *any* issues with being hacked or attacked. I don't invite hacks or attacks but at the same time, my computer isn't fort knox...it doesn't need to be.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:26 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Don't make the assumption that everyone runs out and buys the newest processor on the market. Your average consumer doesn't have a 2Ghz machine. In fact, mostly everyone I know is running a processor with less than 1 Ghz of processing power. Maybe YOU run out and buy a new processor every 4 months but I can't say I do.
Trust me, I'm not making that assumption, Ravi. My main computer is over two years old now (1.3 Ghz), so my point is if you have a machine that is reasonably new, AV shouldn't be a problem as far as disrupting performance. It's not like I have a 3 Ghz computer with Hyperthreading and preaching about performance.
Quote:
I have to agree with Lee. I've had alot of experience with computers and if you use your common sense you will avoid infection. AV doesn't work in a mysterious way, if you think about it, anything it does to avoid infection of a new virus...you can do that yourself. It can protect you from older viruses...sure...but we already know about those? So, what's it good for?
Common sense is the best protection against infections, but I like to have an extra layer of protection and reassurance. Last I checked, I was human and humans make mistakes, so no reason not to protect against them. And to reiterate, there are worms that can execute simply by opening a plain e-mail -- common sense can't guard against that, but an updated AV can. When I rely on my computer for so much, there's reason to take any risks.
Quote:
And maybe AV doesn't slow down your system when you're surfing the web and reading some articles but try running some CPU intensive processes (Photoshop / Compilers / etc etc ) and have AV try to monitor local files as well as any downloaded files and it WILL slow down your system.
That's when you disable AV. There's nothing preventing you from doing that.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:43 AM   #14
RaviPachai18

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
That's when you disable AV. There's nothing preventing you from doing that.
well that's the point. I run these applications everytime I'm using my computer. So if I disable it whenever I use my computer, what's the point of AV? It's only going to be enabled whenever I'm not using my computer....which makes little to no sense.

And if you thought about it, any email you get that executes a script as soon as you open it...that will spread way faster than any AV can.

Alot of people don't use AV to prevent themselves from getting a virus or worm, they use AV to help them clean up their computer after they've been infected. If a new virus is out, all AV can do is inform you that a file looks suspicious, like I said, I can do this myself. My argument here is that most people will need AV because they don't understand how computers work, I do, and I know exactly what AV does, and I just don't see *my* need for it.

About 5 months ago I had around 3-4 friends call me about some e-mail they received telling them if they had file xx.xx then they were infected with some virus bla bla. Not only did they all delete the files but they proceeded to forward the email to all their friends! If they had taken 5 minutes to find out what the file actually was they would have realised it was a system file required to run some java systems.

Don't forget that humans write software, and the software is susceptible to the same mistakes and flaws that you talk about in your post. Therefore, to me, it is no better at catching infections than I am.