Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 08-14-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road
Angry Power Outages!!

So anyone at SC effected by the power problems?

I'm happy my city runs it's own power. We are not connected to ANY grid... we do our own thing and its also the cheapest in Canada.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

That's a massive power failure - covers New York City; Buffalo; Cleveland; Detroit; Toronto; Ottawa; covers large parts of Connecticut and New Jersey as well. Quebec is unaffected ; not only are we accountable for keeping many parts of New York State with power, our system does not depend on the American one and the American system does not depend on ours.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:26 PM   #3
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Damn, you beat me to making this thread. Let me add on what I was going to say.

I know some people on this site, like Alex, live in Connecticut, New York, and other states/cities around there. Or Canada.

I was just wondering if any one here was affected by this. Did your electricity go out?

Was any body on the streets of New York, and had to walk home?
That would suck.

Yeah, well i was just wondering if any one had a cool story about it.

I guess, If you are effected by it you won't be answering this until tomorrow.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:09 AM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I was on SC at a time writing a VERY lengthy reply.... the power went out at exactly 4:15PM..... came back on 10 seconds later for about 3 seconds... and then all out until 2:45 AM.... 10 hours... I guess that's not too bad. The longest previous was 13 in 1965.

Anyway, parts of London got power back as early at 7:00... the hospital down the street had power earlier... 2 block south and 2 blocks west of my block had power at 9:00PM but I didn't get mine until 2:45AM.... anyway, I'm glad it's back and hopefully everyone else gets it soon... I'm sure our "big man," Marc, was affected also.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:26 AM   #5
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

What a crazy CRAZY day! We just got our power back, OVER 50 MILLION PEOPLE IN CANADA & THE U.S WERE AFFECTED. It happened around 4:10pm EST, our dinner went to hell...so we kinda had to scramble around finding something to eat. Everything in our fridge went straight to hell also, all the ice was melted so we had nothing cold to drink all day, a very humid day too.

Night hit, still nothing...it's pure pitch darnkess outside, so we lit a giant fire in the backyard and stayed up until 2:30am listening to a power radio on batteries. About 20 canldes were lit threw ought the house, you couldn't see a damn thing and we had a couple of flashlights handy. I read about the Blackout of 1965, but I had no idea what is was really like until today...pure hell, filled with chaos for many. Those who weren't hit are very lucky.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:01 AM   #6
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Damn Brian, that must’ve sucked pretty badly… Were you one-percent afraid that the world might have just ended in front of your very eyes? I would be.

Whew… Good thing I live in the West Coast, the half where energy is truly conserved.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:41 AM   #7
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Lee, I know the university area got power back at around 9pm. My brother called to ask if i had any candles in my apartment . I just spoke to him and he said the power came back on at about 9pm.

He said there were alot of idiots out in the streets screaming and acting crazy.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:57 PM   #8
JagZone
Jagadelic Since 1997

JagZone is on a distinguished road

I remember last year down here in northeast florida about 5 counties lost power in a similar situation. Luckily the backup systems kicked in and stopped in from spreading as far as it did in the northeast.

It was crazy then I can't imagine how it was up there.
JagZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 04:40 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Ravi -- ya, UWO has cancelled all the Saturday exams and closed alltogether on Friday even though they got power at 3AM last night...... the White Oaks area of London doesn't have any power yet though. ...I had an outside beer with my neighbors who were BBQing chicken had these torches they stuck in the ground to keep afloat.... I guess he is one of the ones your brother probably commented on
Old 08-16-2003, 01:14 AM   #10
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I got my power back about 10 minutes after I lost it.

I really don't see the big fuss. So we lost electricity for a day. Big deal. Ya know, people used to live like that their whole lives not too long ago. I think it does us some good having something like this happen every now and then. Shut off our tv's and computers for a day--its healthy.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:25 AM   #11
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky the Kid
I got my power back about 10 minutes after I lost it.

I really don't see the big fuss. So we lost electricity for a day. Big deal. Ya know, people used to live like that their whole lives not too long ago. I think it does us some good having something like this happen every now and then. Shut off our tv's and computers for a day--its healthy.

Well I don`t think Ive seen many people complaining about missing CSI or not being able to log on to check SCMB. Most of the complaints have come from people who had to take a 3-4 hour walk home because there was no other option...or those stuck in the subway where it must have felt like 150 degrees...or those who had to throw out alot of produce/goods because they couldnt be kept cold...or those who had to track down 50 flights of steps...and i`m sure you get the picture. Even though there hasn`t been much of that, the biggest fuss I`ve seen yet is the officials trying to figure out how this happened in the first place.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 02:03 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'm at the VA in Brecksville Ohio about 15 miles north of Akron and 15 miles south of Cleveland. our power went down at 4:00PM and came back up around 6:00AM the next morning. We are having to drink bottled water. It was spooky having those many people lose power.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:55 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Ya... like McDonald's losing all their beef and milk and buns and chicken and...... it all adds up, and never mind McDonald's, what about grocery stores??? That adds up to MILLIONS, on top of MILLIONS Toronto has already lost 'cuz of SARS.

Maybe if you had lost yours for longer, Rick, you'd feel a little more sympathetic. However, I wasn't majorly inconveinced by it and for the first time I decided to go out and play some basketball and go for a walk and get some fresh air during the power outages... but I made sure my shower worked before I went
Old 08-16-2003, 03:24 PM   #14
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I live in MT, and we had our power out last night for about 6 hours. From about 6:30 PM until 12:30 AM. Now this isn't related to the east's problems at all. A transmitter was either shut down or effected by the fires we've had up here. A strange coincidence though...
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
I'm sure our "big man," Marc, was affected also.
Nope ... D.C. wasn't affected, I never lost power. I just have been having a life outside of the computer. The weather finally turned sunny and warm and I've been doing stuff outside. Then the power went out and I was concerned that it might be terrorism, so I was glued in front of NBC News most of Thursday afternoon.

By the way, here is a cool link to stuff on the blackout:

http://blackout.textamerica.com
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote