Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 03-18-2004, 03:42 AM   #1
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road
Default LA SHOWDOWN: Clippers vs. Lakers

What do you all think about the cross town rivalry between the Clippers and Lakers?
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
AHS2412
Sports Enthusiast

AHS2412 is on a distinguished road

Lakers will win DUH
AHS2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

There's a rivalry? I thought there was no question L.A. is the Lakers' town, and it is, IMO. The Clipps, no offense, can't be taken seriously until they can at least make the playoffs, let alone win it (or three in a row, like the Lakers).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

yeah I don't think there's a rivalry... Clippers will have to prove themselves a whole lot more to get anywhere near that.

as far as the game the other night: so the Lake show jumps out of the gate firing on all cylinders and then come halftime, thinking they've got it in the bag, they mentally go out and grab some cheeseburgers, allowing the Clippers to get back in the game..
but then the Clippers miss their clutch shots and once again, lose to the Lakers.
"It's all about what's inside you when the game's on the line"
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #5
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LA SHOWDOWN: Clippers vs. Lakers

Quote:
Originally posted by Clipps
What do you all think about the cross town rivalry between the Clippers and Lakers?
What do I think? I think that when the Lakers start losing all those Laker fans will turn into Clipper fans.

I can't see why everyone in LA would root for Goliath when they could root for David. I always root for the Clippers when they play the Lakers, despite who's at "home."

It's always a wonderful moment to see the Lakers humbled when they lose to their crosstown rival. Sure, it doesn't happen much, but the Clippers usually come out pretty hard when the Lakers are in town...err...the other locker room.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:05 PM   #6
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

sure it's fun to root for the underdog sometimes... it's quite a rush when they beat someone they're not supposed to.
and vice-versa it's fun to root for the player/team you think is the best because THEY WIN more often than not, and occasionally look really good doing it
Old 03-19-2004, 05:10 AM   #7
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

dispite of the Clipper's losing ways, it is always fun watching the Clipper/Laker battles.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:17 AM   #8
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

I don't care about ths crow given to the Clippers, The LA showdown is always fun to watch. I got a lot of crow from Laker fans at school after the Clipper loss and i want to throw the crow back to them on monday.

But everytime I get crow thrown to me because I'm a Clipper fan, it makes me feel a lot better knwoing that I'm a true, devoted fan that won't give up. If next year, everything is changed(Lakers suck, Clips rule), I don't see how the Laker fans would take it and i believe most of them will jump ship. I used to be a Laker fan but I jumped ship and I don't plan on jumping back for any reason.

Go Clippers

True Clipper fans are arguably the best in pro sports. Other than those Angel Fans who completely ditched the Angels after their dissapointing season a year after their WS run. But I'm also a devoted Angel fan. I've been one since I was little.

Go Clippers. i can't wait for the day another Clipper fan joins these boards.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm sure there are a few Clippers fans on these boards, somewhere, somehow. Either they used to post and don't anymore, or what have you.

I, personally, am not enthused about this matchup. I'd much rather see other Western heavyweights play. You are biased, being a Clippers fan. Of course you love to watch your favorite team, who doesn't?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #10
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Clipps, you mentioned you were at one time a Laker fan and you jumped ship (to the Clippers). What prompted that?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:00 AM   #11
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Clipps, I wasn't looking to start an argument there... I am just cuious. Hell, if Kobe's wearing a Clipper jersey next season, I jump too.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

I started to like the Clippers because of Darius Q and Odom in 2000-2001(also about the same time I got into the NBA and basketball). I was also a Laker fan at the time. So basically, I was both a Laker fan and Clipper fan through the 2001-2002 season. During that time, the Lakers started to look more and more boring as the Clippers were almost nothing but fastbreaks and dunks and Darius and Q were tearin it apart. And during that season, I started to dislike Lamar Odom because of his lack of work ethic and his off the court issues with Pot and he costed us some games and then he got injured and the Clippers started their real push for the playoffs, which they probably woulda made it to the Playoffs if Corey Maggette wasn't injured near the end of the season of 2001-2002. I was still caught in the "YEAH, LAKER 3 PEAT. GO LAKERS!" They won it, I was happy and thrilled like all the other Laker fans were. Then the Lakers just grew off of me like an old toy does for a kid. THe Kid gets the new toy. It's all cool but then he's sick of if in about a year. That's how it was with the Lakers. That same season, the Clippers traded Miles, which p!ssed the livin hell out of me. I knew we needed a PG but trading Miles was a horrible Idea. Sometimes you have to risk the fans for wins but it didn't work like that. And when you make mistakes, you got to suffer the consequences.

Going through the last 2 seasons with my head up basically showed how great a true Clipper fan is. I don't care how bad they are. If they win 60 games and the championship, I willwalk around school with my head up high and with my Clipper gear on. If they lose 60 games and DTS loses his key players again, I will still wear my Clipper gear with my head up high. People wonder why I'm a Clipper fan. Some people try to get me to jump back on the Lakers bandwagon. I keep on using the main quote from Clipper fans, "Wait till next year." I can see why some of you have gotten sick of the Clippers. Their fans like myself promice a Clipper turnaround but it never happens. But I will still continue to promice that Next year will be the turnaround year. And if it isn't, the year after that will be their year.

Everyone who knows sports fans have to know the famouse Clipper fan Quote "wait till next year." The two new Clipper fans that joined this place know what I'm talkin about. Like my self, they probably promice that next year is that year. And you know what. Next year will be their year. It is a promice that if I don't keep, I will take a hard painful blow to the balls. The Clippers have major upsides. They have 2 great players to build around. If you don't want to build around hardworkers like Elton brand and Corey Maggette, your a complete idiot. And hopefully it'll be 3 people to build around if they re-sign Q, who is also a very hard working player like Maggette and brand. You have got to admire the work ethic coming from the Clippers big 3. They want to get better every day, they want to make the team better every day. they care more about wins than stats. Building around those 3 youn men can make the Clippers better than the Kings, Mavs, etc.

Dirk Nowitski isn't a hard worker. He's 7 feet tal, he shoots jumpers all night, he doesn't play D on a consistant night, Antoine Walker is not a hard worker. Some people say that he worked hard last summer to get in better shape. He still looks like Fatoine Walker that I saw play for the Celtics. Shaq is definatly not a hard worker. If i was 7 feet tall and 330 pounds of muscle and bulk and had very minimal Bball IQ, I would average 40 points, 17 rebounds, 6 blocks on a team that wins 70 a year. And if shaq had any determination and if he was a hard worker, he would put up those numbers. The numbers he puts up right now, I say are pretty pathetic, sore toe/calf/abs or not. Yao Ming is not a hard worker, nor he will ever be a hard worker. He is 7'5." He uses nothing but length to get his rebounds. He never fights for the ball. If he plays all his games like he does against Shaq, then I would consider him a hard worker and his team would be top 5.

And the Clippers have 3 very hard working players (Brand, Maggette, and Q)that love playing with eachother. They have known eachother in Chicago before even entering college. So that gives you great chemistry. They play well with eachother. they live and die for eachother. They put up consistant balll, well, Q is inconsistant but he is still a hard worker. But he plays very well when he's on the flor with brand and Maggette.

That's one reason why I don't like the Kobe 2 clippers idea. Sure, Kobe's a great player, top 5 at least. But to get Kobe, we will have to just let Q walk the plank. And Q means a lot to the Clippers. Q (and Darius) turned the dead Clippers into a team to watch. He brought some popularity to the Clippers and he's gunna turn out to be one of the top 10-5 SFs in the league. The players love him, the team loves him, the Coaching staff loves him, the organization loves him, Q loves his team mates, he loves the coaching staff, the fans and even the organization. If you have a player as talented and promicing as Q and he loves the Clippers organization, that is saying a lot. And even for Kobe, the Clippers should never attempt to break up the big 3. You guys may think I sound like a nut because i choose Q over Kobe but oh well. I'm done explaining.

Go CLippers. Our year will come. The losing tradition will be just a thing in the past.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:43 AM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

thanks for the dish there Clipps...
but consider this- i know you're emotionally attached to Q, but with Kobe in that slot can you take a WILD guess how much better the Clippers would be?!?!? Kobe and Corey.... Michael and Scottie.... that's what I'm talking about man...
guess we'll see how it pans out
Old 03-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #14
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

I just don't think It's gunna happen. It's too risky. Q is gunna be a very popular freeagent getting offers from just about every team who needs a startings SG or SF. I bet the first day of freeagency, he will get an offer. And Kobe will obviously take more than 15 days to figure it out and get the legal situation out of the way. And then lets say the Clips do try to pursue JKobe by just letting Q's offersheet expire. And then when every thing is said and done, kobe either is in jail or he decised to stay with the Lakers, or go to New York or etc. So basically, the Clippers can end up with neither Q or Kobe. If the Clippers were smart, they would re-sign Q from the get go. If the Clippers let go of Q, thinking they will get Kobe and not get Kobe afterall, that just shows jst about how dumb the organization is.