Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

View Poll Results: Which NHL team has improved the most?
Anaheim Mighty Ducks 0 0%
Calgary Flames 0 0%
Edmonton Oilers 1 8.33%
Los Angeles Kings 0 0%
Philadelphia Flyers 0 0%
Pittsburgh Penguins 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road
Default Which NHL team has improved the most?

I'd be very interested in seeing which NHL teams people believe have improved the most since the start of the new CBA.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:48 AM   #2
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Pittsburgh by far! There is no question about it. Two years ago they were the biggest joke in the NHL. Since then they've added Mark Recchi, Sergei Gonchar, Ziggy Palffy, John LeClair, Jocelyn Thibault, and drafted Sidney Crosby! They are not only a playoff team, but they are built to go deep into the playoffs!
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I also have got to go with pittsburgh they got a lot of big name free agents and they got the cream of the crop in the draft you can't do much better then that.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

While I agree that Pittsburgh is the popular pick here, I'd take a chance on betting with Edmonton. The Oilers were one of the fastest teams in the league before the lockout and even without Marchant, they still remain a very fast team.

Add superstar defenseman Chris Pronger, a guy who can dominate any game as well as a solid two-way player like Peca and I think that Edmonton might finally be able to keep up with the Avs and the Stars.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 08-27-2005, 02:24 AM   #5
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Pittsburgh by far! There is no question about it. Two years ago they were the biggest joke in the NHL. Since then they've added Mark Recchi, Sergei Gonchar, Ziggy Palffy, John LeClair, Jocelyn Thibault, and drafted Sidney Crosby! They are not only a playoff team, but they are built to go deep into the playoffs!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Pittsburgh, easily. The additions of Palffy, LeClair, Recchi, Thibault, Gonchar and Crosby, this team should be among the favorites in the Eastern Conference this season and for years to come. Hopefully some of these signings also mean that some of the young talent in Wilkes-Barre last season will be back. My Baby Pens are in for a big rebuilding season otherwise.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

Hands down Pitt. I cant believe my Kings let Palffy get away and we signed Demitra. Crosby should make a pretty big impact and Lemieux, well he will be better than most even when he is 65. I'm not a big Gonchar fan but he should do very well with the new rules. The Penguins with the new rules I think are building the perfect team for them. Thats why I dont understand why the Flyers are going out and getting great big slow defensemen, the Flyers team would be great a few years ago. Then of course getting Leclair and Recchi gives then a couple true snipers as well as two great veterans to work with the young guys, lets not forget they still have alot of really good prospects from when they were getting rid of big contracts. I dont think Thibault is all that great but dont be surprised if Fleury starts showing what he can do this year. The Oilers would probably be second on my list or the Hawks. Chicago has improved dramatically but goaltending is a question mark. I also think the Flames got even better by adding Amonte and McCarty, they needed a sniper and a tough guy and they went out and got them. My Kings should be about the same, I would have rather had Palffy then both Demitra and Roenick, the Kings have alot of really good young players like Frolov, Cammalleri,Lehoux and especially Dustin Brown that I would like to see get bigger roles instead of getting Roenick and Demitra. The new CBA is great, its going to be a great competitive season.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #8
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

SoCal, I think Frolov will be big for the future, maybe someday replacing Palffy's scoring if he isn't ready already.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

In my previous post I said the Hawks had a question mark in goal, I forgot they signed Khabibulin! Man what an idiot. The Hawks will be better but they needed to get alot better but are on the right track. With Lapointe and Simpson added they get two hard workers and a great checker in Lapointe. The central division doesnt look all that strong either.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

I agree with the masses: Pittsburgh by a country mile. Make no mistake, the Oilers made some tremendous moves, but they got older in doing so. The question, however, is "which team has improved the most?"

By the by, keep an eye out for Phoenix this season. Brett Hull and Curtis Joseph aren't exactly spring chickens, but they're still Brett Hull and Curtis Joseph. Along with signings like Petr Nedved, Mike Ricci, and a slew of young talent, the Coyotes could sneak up on teams. You don't think that Wayne Gretzky will have that team eating out of the palm of his hand? He's WAYNE GRETZKY! A friend of every veteran and the idle of every youngster.

SoCal, I'm also going to miss Ziggy big time. I was actually rather surprised that he split town after we had signed Demitra - the perfect compliment. I do, however, eagerly look forward to a Demitra, Roenick, Frolov line on the power play.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 AM   #11
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

Some excellent points #99. It is going to be very interesting to see how the Coyotes do this year. I was really hoping the Kings would make a run at Cujo but Labarbera that we signed was one of the best goalies in the minors last season. In 03-04 I saw the Kings play the Habs at the Staples center and Garon was in net. He was really awesome. I believe he was supposed to be Montreals goalie of the future until Theodore started dominating. I would like to hear from HABS FAN to see what he knows about Garon. I think Frolov has a ton of talent and hopefully the Kings will make him a top line player this year. What do you think of Dustin Brown? GO KINGS!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #12
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

I'm really looking forward to seeing Brown develop and mature. He has solid foundation and I really think he could blossom under Andy Murray. I'm anticipating he'll part grit, part goals this year.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote