Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Cowher Stepping Down

Well, it sounds like Bill Cowher will make it official and step down tomorrow as the Steelers' head coach. He informed his assistants of his decision on Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2720242

What are the odds he ends up in Dallas after Parcells quits in a fit of frustration after failing to win with the Cowboys and having to put up with TO for another year?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Why do you think he would go to Dallas? Hes not from Texas is he? Just curious.

Also, do you think they Steelers will try and give the job to Whisenhunt, or will they go another way?
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I doubt he'd go to Texas.... I think he's done. I'm just glad we don't have to see that ugly mug anymore!

Who will be the new head coach in Pitt?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
nojob67
Grizzled Veteran

nojob67 is on a distinguished road

It looks like, as of right now, that the Pittsburgh job will go to either Ken Whisenhut or Russ Grimm. I think both could be quality head coaches. It is likely that the one which does not get the Steelers job, especially if Whisenhut does not get it, will be a head coach someplace else next season. Possibly Atlanta.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
AmpleSound
Grizzled Veteran

AmpleSound is on a distinguished road
Default Good Day, Bill Cowher!

Well, he is said to resign today. After 15 long seasons Bill Cowher is taking a break to spend time with his family. He will be missed, lets just hope the Steelers can seal Whisenhunt as their new coach!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
NYG Babe 28
Dear Abby of Sports

Location: Originally NY, Temporarily San Diego but moving to Boston!
NYG Babe 28 is on a distinguished road

No way will he go to Dallas! He is leaving to take a break not for any other reason really. I think he may come back in a year or so though.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
NYG Babe 28
Dear Abby of Sports

Location: Originally NY, Temporarily San Diego but moving to Boston!
NYG Babe 28 is on a distinguished road

I think Parcells may leave Dallas... I hear rumors about him going to the Giants... lets just hope they are just rumors!
Old 01-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Cowher will return to the NFL in '08. I seriously doubt he'll go to Dallas. If Crennel doesn't get the ship running in the right direction next season, expect him to be returning to a DC position somewhere and Cowher going to the Browns.
Other possibilities could include any of the Florida teams. It was suggested earlier this week that the Fish could hire a placeholder (Jim Bates springs to mind) to hold the job till Cowher's contract with the Steelers expired. Jack Del Rio has returned a certain amount respectability to Coughlin's train wreck, but he hasn't shown any improvement beyond a first round playoff loss, and with Cowher available, middle of the road guys who appear to have plateaued are going to be on the chopping block. Del Rio will be mentioned as "on the hot seat" next Nov & Dec. Also, if Gruden doesn't prove that he can actually coach (his tenure at Tampa, imo, has been evidence to the absolute contrary, SB regardless), he's out after the '07 season, too.
Another guy whose reputation seems to be built of fairly flimsy stuff is John Fox in Carolina. One jarringly good postseason and pretty much nothing else. Again, middle of the road guys, or good coaches experiencing a bunch of bad luck, are on hotter seats in '07 than they were this year.

Finally, Schottenheimer is no spring chicken. It's conceivable he'd retire after this season (I'd bet he will should the Chargers go on to win the SB, actually), but say he holds on one more season... Cowher's an east coast guy, but that's a really peach situation to walk into if Marty hangs it up in '07.

Of course, Cowher could get really fat and lazy in '07 and decide that retirement suits him just fine. I doubt it, but you never know.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I seriously doubt that Cowher is retiring altogether the guy is only 49 and still has several good years ahead of him.

Well, my reasons for thinking he could end up in Dallas are:

-I think Parcells will stick around for one more year to see how far he gets with Romo as the starter for a full year.

-It is rumored that one of the reasons Cowher wants out of Pittsburgh is he wants Holmgren type money ($8 mil per year) and Pittsburgh has no inclination of paying their coach that much.

-If the Dallas job is indeed open after the '07 season Jerry Jones' massive ego dictates that he will have to hire the biggest name out there and throw $8-$10 million per season at Cowher.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I think Jerry Jones will throw money at a coach from Oklahoma before he brings in Bill Cowher. I just don't see Jones and Cowher working out any better than the Jones-Parcells marriage has. Certainly, if Parcells survives this year, next year's his last in Big D, but I simply can't see Cowher in Dallas. It's just not something I can even imagine.

Anything's possible, but I think JJ will offer $15M to Bob Stoops first. It's just me. I'm possibly very wrong.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

I'm cueing up the Carole King CD as I post this:

"So far away;
Doesn't anybody stay in one place any more?"
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
Ravana
Revolution w/b improvised

Ravana is on a distinguished road

I think Cowher will be back after a year or two, too. Where, I don't know. I actually expected him to go another year and fill out his contract... the fact that he'd need to be bought out makes it pretty certain he won't be coaching anywhere in '07. But I can't see him staying away forever.

I suppose it's just possible he'll look for a college job... don't expect it, but possible. Anybody know where he might go if he does?

I agree about Schottenheimer, too: if he finally gets his Super Bowl ring, he's out of there. If not, he stays at least one more.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I doubt he takes a college job. I think the only college job he has any real interest in is NC State's and unless Tom O'Brien is a colossal failure or turns out to be the next Mike Price I doubt that job is going to be open any time soon.

He'll be back in the NFL soon enough.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Everyone is speculating about where Cowher will coach next. I say sheesh, give the guy some time to recharge his batteries. The more important question is who will take over for the Steelers? Not seeing Cowher on the sidelines is like Favre not quarterbacking the Packers, Joe Pa not coaching Penn State, the list goes on...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote