Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Soccer

Old 08-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

luke broadbent is on a distinguished road
Default English Premier League 2011/12

Having a look around I realised that there have been no posts in the soccer section for over a year, so I thought I would talk to a brick wall by bringing up the topic of the new Premier League season.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'm expecting a three way title fight between Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City. I can really see Arsenal struggling to make the top 4 and perhaps the top 5 or 6 if they aren't careful. It seems they will be losing Nasri and Fabregas and, so far, haven't addressed their problem areas of defence and goalkeeper. So, I expect Liverpool to round out the top 4, especially given they have Suarez who is my tip for top goalscorer.
luke broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Angus Saul is on a distinguished road
United were a little lacklustre last season, and in my opinion should have done better, considering their players. Hernandez performed well throughout and I'm expecting him to be more of a regular on the team. They're my tip for the title.

Carroll, who performed stunningly well at Newcastle for the first half of the 2010/11 season, hasn't had the chance to shine at Liverpool, I want to see more of him. And with another scrappy fighter in Charlie Adam, Liverpool will have a bit more about them I think.

I'd like to see Tottenham do well again this season, it's a shame they didn't make the top four in the end. But their star player in Gareth Bale... if he's fit and playing well, by the 'January Sales' I think there could well be some interest from Europe.

I can't post this reply without mentioning Villas-Boas. There's going to be a little stirring at Chelsea, and they are going to pose some stiff competition, and it'll be a close run title race, much the same as last year, but with higher quality play all round.
Angus Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Wish I could chime in, but I only really follow Olympic soccer. Glad Luke and Angus, our new SC contributor, can meet, though. Both are SC's resident British chaps.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Thumbs up

There´s been a lot of activity in Europe this week, with qualifiers beginning for both the UEFA Champions League and the Europa Cup. Arsenal, Spurs, Fulham and Stoke all came away with wins, and Birmingham took away a draw.

Not a bad showing all round.

Last edited by Angus Saul; 08-21-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

I did fear for Arsenal before the game. I thought they would go out and though they have the lead there was enough from Udinese for us not to assume Arsenal will go through. Another early goal should probably do away with the nerves and then allow them to play.

Out of interest, who do you support?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

I'd hate to say without knowing where you're from, but he're goes a long-winded explanation.

I'm more a supporter of the game a whole - I like watching teams who have a flowing style, and who don't hang about in getting the ball up the field.

I'm also a fan of some of the players. Andy Carroll (who hails from not too far from where I live), Luiz Suarez, Sergio Aguero, and the seemingly revitalised Fernando Torres, who ripped holes in Stoke's midfield and defence, but couldn't quite get the ball away.

So, as a native Geordie, I support Newcastle, but Man United also have a special place for me - my mother lived and worked a stone's throw from Old Trafford, so I support them too. I'm also half Scottish, so I support Dundee United. So a mixed bag really - but i'm not too bothered who wins what so long as games are kept interesting, with fast play and a lot of goals. I want to be watching quality football, where the players and managers step it up to get the wins they need.

Oh, and, this is more a little aside, but it's become a tradition that I choose one team just promoted from the Championship and support them for the season. It's usually the team that won the Championship play-off. Hull, Burnley and Blackpool didn't stay long in the Premier League, so although I'm supporting Swansea this year, that could be a black mark against them. As it happens, I've got a good feeling they're going to stay up this year.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

OK then, I'm from West Bromwich and support West Bromwich Albion. Quite pleased with our performances in the first two games despite losing, though I don't think we could realistically expect to beat Man United or Chelsea.

I really like Suarez as well. He reminds me of Tevez with his work ethic and he's probably better on the ball than Tevez. If he stays fit then Liverpool will be finishing pretty high. I think guaranteed top-4 if he stays fit.

When you say you like teams that don't mess about in getting the ball forward, does that mean you're not a fan of the way Barca and Arsenal play?

Even though I really like their style of play it does annoy me when all the pundits go on about how it's a victory for football when they win, or when Spain won the World Cup. There's more than one way to play the game and the fact is that most teams aren't capable of playing that way. It's all about playing to your strengths.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Question

To be honest, I've seen little of Barca - not having any sports channels on my TV, but Arsenal are OK. Not a huge fan, mainly because they have a whole load of potential and under achieve almost every season. But I have to say, Van Persie and Theo Walcott annoy me, and I'm not sure why.

That said, Rooney annoys me too - as do most players with a giant ego. Rooney is a great player, no doubt - but he IS overrated, and Capello should have thought harder about his inclusion in the England team in 2010. I'm not saying keep him off the team, but play him a with a pinch of salt - there are other players in the team that pair up better. Why didn't we see Crouch and Defoe playing together in South Africa? They play together week in, week out, and have done so for years. Capello missed a trick there.

Also, if I might be so bold as to say, in the qualifiers the year before, a disproportional number of goals were scored either from the air or from set plays. We didn't see too much of that at the world cup for some reason. England just weren't good enough from open play, but that may be because most teams they played marked Rooney heavily.

I'm not saying I should be the new England manager, far from it, but I don't understand why Capello changed a winning formula... it is beyond me. I just hope they can pull it together and do well in 2012.