Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road
Default Will the Niners get in?

If SF wins both games (Arizona, @ Denver) and Seattle loses both (San Diego, @ Tampa) they will take the division. I'm not sure if it's even possible for them to get in as a wildcard at 8-8....I haven't tried to check. What do you think are the chances?

I think Seattle will lose to the Chargers, but win the last game in Tampa to take the division. Despite the comeback against the Bears, Tampa has not been a good team this year. Whatever problems they may have had, I see the 'Hawks taking that last game to get in. I think the Niners will beat Arizona, but have a very tough game against Denver. It would have been better if Denver hadn't broken their losing streak; suddenly they are alive and well in the wildcard hunt. That last game could potentially be win-and-get-in for both teams, wouldn't that be great! Nothing like one of the last games of the season being so important I'll be rooting for the Bucs that last week if hope is still alive, but sadly, I just don't see them being able to pull the upset

Still I hold out hope, and even should they not get in, I finally see real hope for the immediate future for the Niners. They are one of a few up-and-coming teams with young talent (Buffalo, Tenn, Miami) that should be fun to watch next year, and even more if any of them gets in.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
matthews_world
Sports Enthusiast

matthews_world is on a distinguished road

I don't see them winning their division. The only thing they got going for them is their rushing game.

If they can't win their division, then they are pretty well screwed with Atlanta, Philly and even Green Bay in the hunt.
matthews_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
grifter
Skateboarding thug, Baby!

grifter is on a distinguished road

There is a good chance for a wild card berth. Atl hasn't been able to close out seasons when for any kind of playoff push except once really and until Vick gets more consistent I don't see that this year. Philly has a good chance if their D can hold up the rest of the way. And GB only due the weak confernce they are in. But I don't see SF beating Denver and I don't see TB beating Seattle.

Next year I think will be a diffrent story if Smith can continue to mature but he needs to mature even more so than this year as a passer.

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:26 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, they need to figure out how to stop other teams on defense. They are getting to the point where Smith is not losing games for them, but unless they significantly cut down the 26 points per game they are giving up this year it won't matter too terribly much how well Smith is playing.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 AM   #5
Montrovant
Hatecarver

The Niners have shown some good defense this year, the problem has been consistancy. 26 per game is actually well below their average halfway through the season, I think, so there's been some improvement.

There are a lot of positives to build on for next year, I'd just like to see them sneak their way in this year, and maybe even surprise someone in the playoffs
Old 12-22-2006, 04:45 AM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I'm pulling for them. This week they catch a decent break with Arizona and Seattle facing the best team in the NFL (SD). So they need to take advantage of it. Week 17... eh, Seattle could lose to TB, only because they are in TB (IMO) - but that's asking a lot. Then the 9ers would have to go to Denver and take care of business. It would make for a great story if they did. Yeah, they'd get KILLED in the playoffs, but still...
Old 12-22-2006, 05:05 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Because of the conference record situation, the 49ers are pretty much out of the wild-card chase, especially with Green Bay winning tonight.

There is a good chance that they could still be alive in the NFC West after this week's games, but expecting them to go to Denver and win in the cold weather and for the Seahawks to lose to Tampa Bay is asking an awful lot.

But if you're a 49ers fan, you need to root for the Raiders on Saturday - because if the Chiefs do lose to Oakland, then on Sunday Denver beats Cincinnati, and either the Jets or Jacksonville lose, Denver would clinch a playoff spot right there and then and the 49ers would get to play against Shanahan's junior varsity in the season finale.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

BigBuddhaPup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
If SF wins both games (Arizona, @ Denver) and Seattle loses both (San Diego, @ Tampa) they will take the division. I'm not sure if it's even possible for them to get in as a wildcard at 8-8....I haven't tried to check. What do you think are the chances?

I think Seattle will lose to the Chargers, but win the last game in Tampa to take the division. Despite the comeback against the Bears, Tampa has not been a good team this year. Whatever problems they may have had, I see the 'Hawks taking that last game to get in. I think the Niners will beat Arizona, but have a very tough game against Denver. It would have been better if Denver hadn't broken their losing streak; suddenly they are alive and well in the wildcard hunt. That last game could potentially be win-and-get-in for both teams, wouldn't that be great! Nothing like one of the last games of the season being so important I'll be rooting for the Bucs that last week if hope is still alive, but sadly, I just don't see them being able to pull the upset

Still I hold out hope, and even should they not get in, I finally see real hope for the immediate future for the Niners. They are one of a few up-and-coming teams with young talent (Buffalo, Tenn, Miami) that should be fun to watch next year, and even more if any of them gets in.

It is doubtful...but I will be pulling for them to win the division...

:thumbup: Go Steelers....
"So it goes"
BigBuddhaPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
The Niners have shown some good defense this year, the problem has been consistancy. 26 per game is actually well below their average halfway through the season, I think, so there's been some improvement.
Meh, a lot of that is due to playing lesser competition the past few weeks though. New Orleans is the only real quality offensive team they have played the second of the season thus far and they scored 34 on them.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Meh, a lot of that is due to playing lesser competition the past few weeks though. New Orleans is the only real quality offensive team they have played the second of the season thus far and they scored 34 on them.
Like any good fan, I'm choosing to ignore this fact so my team looks better
Old 12-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well this won't help matters, Antonio Bryant suspended for four games today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2706588
Old 12-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
grifter

^ It doesn't hurt them much either, he hasn't really none nothing since week 2 I believe.

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
Old 12-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but who would you rather have out there Antonio Bryant or.... Who is their third receiver again? Taylor Jacobs, Bryan Gilmore, or some other no-name. Bryant is at least someone you have to at least acknowledge defensively.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #14
grifter

Frank Gore gives D's enough to have to acknowledge, I beleive. Truthfully I was disappointed with Bryant this year, More so cuz I had him on one of my FF teams this year.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #15
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Well, if you can't beat Arizona with your playoff hopes on the line, you don't deserve to get in. :redhot:

Hope the Niners can improve during the offseason and come into next year ready to make a run.

Grats to any Seahawk fans, although backing in is never that satisfying =/