Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Latest Sports Central Headlines

Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Post SC Newsfeed: Grading the MLB Offseason Moves

There has been more to the Major League Baseball offseason than just the infamous Michell Report. With a flurry of deals made, SC's Rich Lyons discusses how some of the most notable trades, free agent signings, and re-signings graded out.

More...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
3. Francisco Cordero: Signed by Reds, 4 years, $46 million

I understand how important closers are, but this is one of the biggest head-scratchers I've seen in a long time. Not only because of the amount of money, but the team is also a mystery to me. The Reds have David Weathers, who got them 33 saves last year, and opted to bring in another closer? Their entire outfield is banged up, and they are in desperate need of bringing in a power hitting first baseman, but yet they signed a closer for over $11 million a year? This is totally perplexing. Cordero has great stuff, but the cost is way too high here, especially with Adam Dunn's impending free agency.

Grade: D

(Just to throw this in, Eric Gagne signed with the Brewers, Cordero's former team, for $10 million next season ... has the whole world gone crazy?)
Alright, I know we usually don't comment on these threads... but I have to point out a couple errors in this article:

Quote:
The Reds have David Weathers, who got them 33 saves last year, and opted to bring in another closer?
David Weathers is not a closer. He got 33 saves last year by default, the Reds had no one else. Moving him into the setup role makes this bullpen significantly better. Assuming that Weathers is good enough to be a closer is simply wrong.

Quote:
Their entire outfield is banged up
What? Who is banged up?

Quote:
they are in desperate need of bringing in a power hitting first baseman
Joey Votto made his major league debut last season and batted .321 in 24 games overall with four homers and 17 RBI.

He had 22 HRs in under 500 ABs in AAA last year.

The power hitting 1B is on the roster.

Quote:
Cordero has great stuff, but the cost is way too high here, especially with Adam Dunn's impending free agency.
If anything this move shows Adam Dunn that the Reds want to compete and are willing to spend in order to do that. According t baseball prospectus:

"signing Cordero does is give Krivsky something to show to Adam Dunn and his peeps, as part of a further demonstration of a desire to contend. Maybe that helps Dunn see his way clear to signing a multi-year extension; stranger things have happened. I know that these things might ideally be sorted out in isolation, but that's not the way people are. If a (presumably) refreshed Dusty Baker and the market's best closer don't help Dunn see merit to sticking around, I doubt anything will."

----------------------

The Reds may have over-paid, but the addressed the team's biggest weakness and turned it into a strength... Not to mention, they took a division rivals closer.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
MelloSC
Rookie Player

MelloSC is on a distinguished road

right, so if a guy comes in and gets 33 saves "by default," it's wrong to think he's a legit closer? all three of their starting outfielders had injuries last year...thus, "banged up" (griffey/groin, dunn/knee, freel/knee.) that's a good point you made about joey votto. and signing cordero means they'll have less money to try and re-sign dunn. i'm not saying that he won't re-sign because the team is not attractive, it's just that unless they plan on spending $80-90 million, they're going to be tying up around half of their payroll on two guys if they get dunn back. i realize that by signing cordero, their team gets better, but the cost i feel was too much. saying that there are "errors" in the article is going a bit too far. it's an opinion piece!!!
MelloSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
right, so if a guy comes in and gets 33 saves "by default," it's wrong to think he's a legit closer?
Not really, but if you see him pitch you could gather that information. The guy is almost 40 and he's thrown over 1,000 innings in his career. His fastball barely breaks 90. He is a capable set-up man, but not a closer. No one fears David Weathers. Cordero makes Weathers even better however.

Quote:
all three of their starting outfielders had injuries last year...thus, "banged up" (griffey/groin, dunn/knee, freel/knee.)
Right, but you said the enitre outfield "IS" banged up, implying that they are currently recovering from injuries. Dunn is healthy, Griffey is healthy, and Freel is a back-up. Norris Hopper (healthy) is expected to be the opening day starter in CF.

Quote:
and signing cordero means they'll have less money to try and re-sign dunn. i'm not saying that he won't re-sign because the team is not attractive, it's just that unless they plan on spending $80-90 million, they're going to be tying up around half of their payroll on two guys if they get dunn back.
That's a valid point. However, Griffey's contract expires this year which means they can use that money to resign Dunn.

Quote:
saying that there are "errors" in the article is going a bit too far. it's an opinion piece!!!
You're right. I didn't want to be a jerk about it. I guess I get defensive about the Reds... I apologize. I loved the Cordero signing because the Reds never make moves like this. Their bullpen was so weak last season that they had to address it, and they got the best free agent closer on the market.

Either way, thanks for the opinion.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote