Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default MLB Thought of the Day - July

Since no one else has done here it is the July edition.

That play Longo made in the 7th was just sick. Please tell me someone caught the highlight.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Investment advice:

Buy the rights to "www.FireDustyBaker.com"

Think Fresh.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
themush
Banned

Well I guess my boys did it again.

Go Rays!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Well I guess my boys did it again.

Go Rays!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbup:

That's awesome. I'll definitely be pulling for your boys in the AL.

Think Fresh.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

The Rays are definitely one of the "feel-good" stories this year. I predicted they would be much better than they were, but I don't think even their management expected them to be this good this soon. They are a franchise on the rise, with limitless potential.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

The Twins stay hot, having won 14 of their last 16 games. 12-3 over the Indians last night. Delmon Young hit his 3rd homer for the Twins. Hopefully, he has his stroke now.

Catman
Old 07-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
themush
Banned

What's going on with the Yankmes?
Old 07-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Investment advice:

Buy the rights to "www.FireDustyBaker.com"
Huh? I thought Dusty was the guy to get the Reds over the hump and lead them to respectability.... :lol:
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
What's going on with the Yankmes?
They are realizing that older, expensive players do not always play well together. A huge payroll does not guarantee success.

Catman
Old 07-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Huh? I thought Dusty was the guy to get the Reds over the hump and lead them to respectability.... :lol:
Did I say that, or are you mocking the media in general?

Either way, I wanted to like Dusty Baker, he's a good guy and a great interview, but he is simply a terrible manager.

There is no doubt this team is underacheiving. Now, I don't think they have 1st place talent yet, but they certainly should be above 500.

In other NL Central News:

The Brewers have won the C.C. Sabathia sweepstakes.

The Indians' four-player return will include Class AA outfielder Matt LaPorta, Class AAA left-hander Zach Jackson, Class A right-hander Rob Bryson and a player to be named, according to major-league sources.

Sorry St. Louis... It's the Cubs and Brewers from here on out.

Think Fresh.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Did I say that, or are you mocking the media in general?
Both I think. I seem to remember you being pretty excited about the prospects of Dusty managing this team.

Quote:
Either way, I wanted to like Dusty Baker, he's a good guy and a great interview, but he is simply a terrible manager.

There is no doubt this team is underacheiving. Now, I don't think they have 1st place talent yet, but they certainly should be above 500.
Yeah, they should definitely be above .500 with the talent they have. If Harang were pitching like he has the past couple of years they'd probably be in the thick of the wild card race right now. The Reds still need to improve the top third of their lineup. They just seem to be a collection of 4,5, and 6 hitters for the most part. Aside from maybe Phillips nobody on their team really strikes me as a top of the order guy right now. Jay Bruce is obviously the #3 hitter of the future but he is not quite ready for that role just yet and nobody really strikes me as an ideal #2 hitter on that team.

Quote:
In other NL Central News:

The Brewers have won the C.C. Sabathia sweepstakes.

The Indians' four-player return will include Class AA outfielder Matt LaPorta, Class AAA left-hander Zach Jackson, Class A right-hander Rob Bryson and a player to be named, according to major-league sources.

Sorry St. Louis... It's the Cubs and Brewers from here on out.
I don't know that is assuming Sabathia gets his crap together and starts pitching like a Cy Young winner. Keep in mind his inconsistency has been a big reason the Indians have underachieved this year. They also need to hope that Sheets does not make his yearly sojourn to the disabled list where he misses five or six starts. This guy has not started 30 games nor has he thrown 200 innings since 2004 so fatigue could become an issue for him come the end of August. They also have to hope Salomon Torres does not implode once he realizes he is actually pitching in games that matter. They are relying on a closer who has pitched his entire career as a setup guy for mediocre to crappy teams. I don't think he has ever pitched a significant inning his entire career in terms of being in a playoff race.

Don't forget the Cardinals have done this without some pretty talented arms thus far. They should get Wainwright back any day now and if all goes as planned Carpenter and Matt Clement should be back sooner rather than later. The Cards pitching staff looks to be getting much better over the next few weeks without actually making any trades.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Both I think. I seem to remember you being pretty excited about the prospects of Dusty managing this team.

I probably was...

Quote:
Yeah, they should definitely be above .500 with the talent they have. If Harang were pitching like he has the past couple of years they'd probably be in the thick of the wild card race right now. The Reds still need to improve the top third of their lineup. They just seem to be a collection of 4,5, and 6 hitters for the most part. Aside from maybe Phillips nobody on their team really strikes me as a top of the order guy right now. Jay Bruce is obviously the #3 hitter of the future but he is not quite ready for that role just yet and nobody really strikes me as an ideal #2 hitter on that team.
Jerry Hairston has turned out to be a terrific leadoff hitter. He is batting over .330 and has 12 stolen bases in limited playing time. He also sees a lot of pitches.

Jeff Keppinger is an ideal #2 hitter. He will hit over .300 for the year, can bunt, puts the ball in play, and almost always moves the runner from 2nd to 3rd.

Problem is, they both play SS, and 3rd. With Encarnacion at 3rd, playing time is hard to split between the two. That's why Griffey needs to go, put Bruce in right, Hairston in center.

Quote:
I don't know that is assuming Sabathia gets his crap together and starts pitching like a Cy Young winner. Keep in mind his inconsistency has been a big reason the Indians have underachieved this year. They also need to hope that Sheets does not make his yearly sojourn to the disabled list where he misses five or six starts. This guy has not started 30 games nor has he thrown 200 innings since 2004 so fatigue could become an issue for him come the end of August. They also have to hope Salomon Torres does not implode once he realizes he is actually pitching in games that matter. They are relying on a closer who has pitched his entire career as a setup guy for mediocre to crappy teams. I don't think he has ever pitched a significant inning his entire career in terms of being in a playoff race.
All good points. Although CC has pitched pretty well this season. Moving to a new league (without the DH) will certainly help his numbers. Then again, he'll have to pitch in PNC, Great American, and Milwaukee.

You're right about Sheets. The thought of injury should always be on his mind.

That bullpen is crap for the Brewers. Whoever thought Gagne was worth $10 should be fired.

And yes, you have a good point about the Cards. I keep forgetting all the pitching that they are missing. I will say, Kyle Lohse HAS to implode at some point. If he doesn't, I will go on record to say that Duncan is the best pitching coach I've ever seen.

The Cards are obviously much better than anyone gave them credit for. However, I think that the Brewers and Cubs would have to take on some serious injuries to give St. Louis a legit shot at the division. Wild Card isn't out of the question by any means.

Think Fresh.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:

Jerry Hairston has turned out to be a terrific leadoff hitter. He is batting over .330 and has 12 stolen bases in limited playing time. He also sees a lot of pitches.
I would not put any stock in Hairston as the long term answer though. He is a .259 career hitter and something tells me he is just this year's Willie Harris who is now back to hitting .209 with the Nats this year.

Quote:
Jeff Keppinger is an ideal #2 hitter. He will hit over .300 for the year, can bunt, puts the ball in play, and almost always moves the runner from 2nd to 3rd.
Keppinger could be the answer at the two spot but I have yet to see him put it together for an entire season at the big league level. He seems to be in a bit of a tailspin right now. If he pulls out of it and gets back to hitting around .300 then I'd say they have their #2 guy.

Quote:
All good points. Although CC has pitched pretty well this season. Moving to a new league (without the DH) will certainly help his numbers. Then again, he'll have to pitch in PNC, Great American, and Milwaukee.
For what it is worth he has not exactly dominated NL teams in interleague play. He has been good (12-6, 3.73 ERA) but not great.

Quote:
That bullpen is crap for the Brewers. Whoever thought Gagne was worth $10 should be fired.
It has gotten better since they removed Gagne from the closer's role and you have to have a quality bullpen if you want to win these days.

Quote:
And yes, you have a good point about the Cards. I keep forgetting all the pitching that they are missing. I will say, Kyle Lohse HAS to implode at some point. If he doesn't, I will go on record to say that Duncan is the best pitching coach I've ever seen.
I don't know I thought it was going to happen about a month-and-a-half ago when he got knocked around for 3 consecutive starts at the beginning of May but then he bounced back and the Cards have won 9 of his last 10 starts. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Lohse as well but he seems to be responding well to Duncan's guidance.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
I would not put any stock in Hairston as the long term answer though. He is a .259 career hitter and something tells me he is just this year's Willie Harris who is now back to hitting .209 with the Nats this year.
I am definitely approaching Hairston with cautious optimism. He claims that this is the first season in a long time that he's been healthy, and he attributes his success to that. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he is hitting .346 and his approach to hitting looks great. He has a short, compact swing and he has a good eye. It is possible that his health has held him back in the past, and now he is finally reaching his potential.

But I am not ready to "crown" him just yet. Still, until he proves otherwise, as a Red, he's been great.

Plus, his versatility makes him a "super sub" at worst - and I'll take him over Ryan Freel any day.

Quote:
Keppinger could be the answer at the two spot but I have yet to see him put it together for an entire season at the big league level. He seems to be in a bit of a tailspin right now. If he pulls out of it and gets back to hitting around .300 then I'd say they have their #2 guy.
Yeah, but that tailspin followed a trip to the DL, with a broken kneecap. Including last season, he has shown that he can hit .300 (in my opinion).

Quote:
For what it is worth he has not exactly dominated NL teams in interleague play. He has been good (12-6, 3.73 ERA) but not great.
hmmmm, interesting. That surprises me.

Quote:
I don't know I thought it was going to happen about a month-and-a-half ago when he got knocked around for 3 consecutive starts at the beginning of May but then he bounced back and the Cards have won 9 of his last 10 starts. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Lohse as well but he seems to be responding well to Duncan's guidance.
I was a bit surprised he didn't get named to the All Star team.

I liked Lohse when he was in Cincinnati, I always told myself that he had the "stuff" to put together a nice season. After he continually proved me wrong, I gave up on him. Duncan really knows what he is doing.

Think Fresh.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Nice game by Dice-K tonight. The Red Sox picked up a good win over the Twins, 1-0.

Catman
Closed Thread