Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #61
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Meh, I want to see how Dunn and the D-Backs against someone who is not just playing out the string like Colorado, Houston, and San Diego are. I mean if Dunn truly makes that much of an impact then how come the Reds are in the bottom third of teams in baseball when it comes to average and runs scored? Sure the D-Backs are scoring more runs but is it because of Dunn or because they are just playing crappy teams that have no pitching to speak of right now? I would say it is probably a little bit of both. I am waiting to see what Dunn and the D-Backs do against the Cards and the two series against LA coming up. That will be the true litmus test to see if this deal is going to get Arizona over the hump or not.

The Braves are just downright awful right now. I mean you know it is bad when Cesar Izturis unleashes four hits in one game. :lol:
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 08-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #62
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Take a look at the Reds offense since Dunn has left, it's nothing.

It's not a coincedence that the D-Backs BA has increased dramatically since he arrived. He is on base 40% of the time and he hits more HRs per at-bat than anyone in the game.

If you put him in any line-up the offensive production will increase, significantly.

Take him out of any line-up and the offensive production will decrease, significantly.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #63
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Adam Dunn appears to be doing well with his change of scenery. If that is the case, good for him, and good for the D'Backs. I, too, would like to see what he does against some good competition.
Taking him out of the Reds' lineup doesn't really prove anything. Griffey was taken out also. Its possible that Griffey was the run-producer.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #64
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Adam Dunn appears to be doing well with his change of scenery. If that is the case, good for him, and good for the D'Backs. I, too, would like to see what he does against some good competition.
Taking him out of the Reds' lineup doesn't really prove anything. Griffey was taken out also. Its possible that Griffey was the run-producer.
Not really... Griffey was not a run producer for the Reds. He was a slightly-below-average major league hitter this season.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #65
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Dunn is a very good player and very underrated. He drives in runs and gets on base a lot. I don't really understand why the Reds got rid of him...getting some pitching to go around Phillips-Dunn-Encarnacion-Bruce seems like it would be a good way to go.

Then again, Dusty does not like guys looking at pitches...even if it's the smart thing to do at the time...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #66
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Mush's Rays are really startin' to piss me off...

Great to see the Sox stumble into 2nd place, the Angels tank it against the Twinkies, & to top it off, see the Nats bludgeon the Cubs.

Freaky Friday...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #67
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

You're not the only one they are pissing off. Just be glad you weren't around to accept an avatar bet.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #68
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

So am I...

I'm starting to become a believer, Mush. I thought that Rays rough stretch near the break was chinks in the armor but it looks more like it made them even tougher...
Old 08-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #69
themush
Banned

I think that series against Cleveland at the end on the 1st half really cemented this teams mentality. Hopefully we can hold on this week and get Longo bask ASAP. Nice problem to have will be what to do to keep Willy Aybar's bat in the line up.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #70
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to realize I didn't expect the Sox to get this far but still...to give up the lead in the 8th like yesterday is just too much to bear. :redhot:
Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #71
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Interestingly enough in the 10 games after Griffey was traded and before Dunn was moved the Reds were 2-8 and since Dunn was moved they are 5-5. Coming into today the Reds have played 20 games in the month of August in the 10 games they had Dunn they scored 34 runs in the 10 without him 35.

The guy who hit in front of Dunn most of the season, Brandon Phillips, hit .273 with 17 homers before him being traded and the guy hitting behind him most of the year, Edwin Encarnacion hit just .250 with 22 homers and 48 RBI. Granted the Reds offense has gotten worse since Dunn was moved but it wasn't all that great with him in the lineup to begin with.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #72
themush
Banned

Hows bout dem Rays!!!!!!!!!!!

Chi-town are our *****es......

Last edited by themush; 08-24-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #73
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
Dunn is a very good player and very underrated. He drives in runs and gets on base a lot. I don't really understand why the Reds got rid of him...getting some pitching to go around Phillips-Dunn-Encarnacion-Bruce seems like it would be a good way to go.

Then again, Dusty does not like guys looking at pitches...even if it's the smart thing to do at the time...
The Reds will have the best pitching staff in the NL central next season. With the edition of Micah Owings, the Reds rotation is complete.

Volquez is a legit Cy Young candidate. Harang is a legit Cy Young candidate when not injured. Cueto is even better than both of them.

Arroyo and Owings are two solid 4 and 5 guys.

The Reds traded Dunn because he is going to get nearly 100 million in the off-season. They can't afford that.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #74
themush
Banned

Another bullspit call goes against the rays. When are these guys going to be held accountable? ****ing horrible.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #75
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

"Everyday Eddie" Guardado is back in a Twins' uniform tonight in Seattle. Hope he can help the bullpen a bit. To make room for him on the 25-man roster, Mike Lamb was DFA'd.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Closed Thread