Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 10-13-2001, 02:21 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Titleist looks to beef up with their new thin-faced irons

Here's the story.
Quote:
Titleist looks to beef up with their new thin-faced irons

Thin is in, at least in the golf club world. The latest incarnation of modern casting techniques is Titleist's new thin-faced 762 cast irons. The company this week also introduced new 822OS irons, which will replace the 981 line.

The 762 line takes the place of DCI 990 as the flagship of the Titleist iron family. Sergio Garcia and Davis Love III recently have won on the PGA TOUR with the 990 models, which have been in shops only two years. The 762 shows Titleist, the traditional manufacturer, going "mod" -- namely in the use of Mylar on the heads.

A slightly larger size (6 percent) with thin face and multi-piece carbon and Mylar insert on the cavity will enable the 762 to provide unparalleled feel, increased playability, and modern flight characteristics.

And when you mention feel in irons, better players pay attention.

The 990 models had a muscleback look within a cavity. The 981s had a weight bar behind the face. The 762 line has Mylar inserts within the cavity behind the clubface to provide stability and mass to the head while being relatively light. That allows the designers to make the clubheads slightly larger.
Admittingly, I don't understand a lot of this terminology, but they look pretty darn slick, eh? For those of you who are more serious, regular golfers, have thoughts on these? I have always liked Titleist's products, ranging back to their golf balls. Worth the money?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 11:55 PM   #2
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

haha Titleist is most often always 'worth the money'. That's not the issue, the issue is whether your golf game warrants you spending that much money on clubs. It if doesn't then they may not be 'worth the money'. Personally, I'll stick with my Black Cats .

Ravi
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 09:34 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai18
haha Titleist is most often always 'worth the money'. That's not the issue, the issue is whether your golf game warrants you spending that much money on clubs. It if doesn't then they may not be 'worth the money'. Personally, I'll stick with my Black Cats .

Ravi
..... well, personally, I'll stick with my used golf balls that are priced at something like $4 for 12 ... ha ha!! :lol: :nod:

...my golf game does definitely NOT warrant high-priced golf balls..... 12 Tiger Woods Nike Tour Accuracy golf balls for $48??? I don't think so!!!!!...I think I'll buy that book by Woods before his golf balls. :uhoh:
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 10:01 PM   #4
RaviPachai18

lol, I was talking about the clubs. The balls...they are definitely good. Apparently the Pro V I is the best! They have another version the Pro V II or something but it's only available for professional players (not sold commercially). They are very pricey! Personally, I like the roll of top-flite balls though. Titleists tend to be to soft for me.

Ravi
Old 10-17-2001, 10:48 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai18
lol, I was talking about the clubs. The balls...they are definitely good. Apparently the Pro V I is the best! They have another version the Pro V II or something but it's only available for professional players (not sold commercially). They are very pricey! Personally, I like the roll of top-flite balls though. Titleists tend to be to soft for me.

Ravi
Oh.... right.... sorry -- forgot that this thread was about clubs..... whatever m___ says... just goes in one ear and out the other, I gues

...but I heard about that new kinda ball .... whatever -- all too expensive for me.... I suck and mostly go just for the exercise
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 12:57 AM   #6
RaviPachai18

Thats cool, I only get to play in the summer . Makes no sense bringing my clubs up here cuz there isn't any time and before you know it...it's winter! We leave before it warms up here so there is no point. But I'd like to try out for the Western Team..maybe next year.

Ravi