Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 06-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road
Default Wimbledon 2011

Qualifiers begin at Roehampton today.

For the first time, I can't automatically say that either Rafa or Roger will win Wimbledon. Djokovic, Murray are legitimate contenders. There are also guys like Verdasco, Roddick, Tsonga, or even Raonic and Gasquet who could stun people for a match or two.

On the women's side, I am open to suggestions as to who should be the favorite. it is really hard to read this Wimbledon women's group.

Mertov
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'd like to see Andy Murray win it, but I think Djokovic and Federer will be there.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Mertov
All-Star Player

It will also be interesting to see which side of the draw Federer ends up. If he ends up on Nadal's side, I would think that it would increase the chances of Djokovic or Murray breaking through in Wimbledon. It would be a lot harder for them to have to go through Federer and Nadal to win the title.

Mert
Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Mertov
All-Star Player

Like at the French Open, Murray and Nadal are on one side; Federer and Djokovic on the other.

Here are the draws:
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/score.../ms/index.html

Mert
Old 06-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Mertov
All-Star Player

Here is an in-depth look at the men's draw (as of Tuesday night, June 21st)

https://www.sports-central.org/sport...ledon_2011.php

Mert Ertunga
Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Mertov
All-Star Player

Williams sisters are both out without winning a set. It seems that they can no longer afford to take long periods of time off and come back and roll over people. But this time off (especially for Serena) is understandable. There is no doubt that the women's game needs them desperately at this point.

Quarterfinals are on and on the Men's side, the top four seeds are still on their way to meet in the semis, as I predicted in my article. I don't see a big potential for an upset in the quarters. Tomic is the story of the tournament but Djokovic is a different horse than what he has faced so far. Federer has a dangerous meeting with the talented Tsonga. Nadal is playing Fish. Murray will take on Feliciano Lopez. I dare anyone to pick an upset in any of those quarterfinals.

Mert
Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Mertov
All-Star Player

Petra Kvitova and Maria Sharapova are in the finals.

After Kvitova beat Azarenka, and Sabine Lisicki started 3-0 up against Sharapova, I though for a moment that we may have a high-pitch-scream free finals. But it didn't happen. Sharapova came back and won in two straight sets.

Now, onto Men's semi-finals today.

Mert
Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

luke broadbent is on a distinguished road

Firstly, thanks for the comment on my article, Mert. I like to look at the other side of the argument and Kvitova has the makings of a star. I did have a feeling for her at the start of the tournament. In fact, I put a bet on her and Nadal to win at the start of the tournament. As the final gets closer, however, I'm feeling less confident about Rafa.

Djokovic played really well against Tsonga and I thought that Nadal was poor early on against Murray and though he eventually took control he was making a lot of uncharacteristic errors. So, I reckon Djokovic will win in 4.

What do you make of Tomic? He played a decent match against Nadal earlier in the year at the Australian Open and obviously had a great run here.The future looks good for him. Also, you're probably better equipped to comment on this but do you think he has strange style? He seems to play the ball very nonchalantly and his forehand seems to have a lot of wrist in it, so he kinds of whips the racket through the ball.
luke broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Mertov
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke broadbent View Post
Djokovic played really well against Tsonga and I thought that Nadal was poor early on against Murray and though he eventually took control he was making a lot of uncharacteristic errors. So, I reckon Djokovic will win in 4.
Uhmmmm... I think you need to take over the commentator's box position from those on TV

Tomic does have a strange style, I think his forehand looks a bit like Agassi's. His future definitely looks bright, I am curious to see how he will do on the US circuit's fast surfaces and the US Open whose surface is faster than the Australian Open.

Congrats to Djokovic. Murray, Federer and Nadal have a lot to figure out to catch this man. He is 3-1 against Federer, and 5-0 against Nadal this year. He has been so dominant on every surface that I am beginning to wonder if he can break McEnroe's record of 82-3 in one year (1984).

Mert
Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

luke broadbent is on a distinguished road

I was surprised by the lack of pundits picking Djokovic. I appreciate that Nadal has been there and done it and was the slight favourite but on British TV only Henman said Djokovic would win.

I'm become less convinced by each slam that Murray is going to win one. He looked in really good shape going into the semis and started superbly against Nadal, then he missed a easy(ish) forehand in the second set and crumbled, losing the next seven games. He seemed better mentally going into the match but then that happened. He's still quite some way behind Djokovic and Nadal mentally.

Also, did you think that Federer didn't look interested in the fifth set against Tsonga? I know he tends to have that same expression all of the time but there didn't seem to be any fire there. It didn't look like it bodes well for his future and I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire in the next year or so.
luke broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Mertov
All-Star Player

He has looked disinterested before occasionally, even in his prime (ex: Match against Volandri in Rome 2007). In this case, I think he was rather overwhelmed with Tsonga's superhuman display of shots. I don't believe he will retire unless he feels like he has no chance of winning another Slam, and I believe he is far from stopping to believe that.

Contrary to many, I do believe Murray will one day win a Slam, sooner than later. He has matured compared to 2-3 years ago. He was in control of the match against Nadal until that forehand missed at 7/5 2/1 15/30 on Nadal's serve. He did not fold though, his play just dropped. I think he needs a bit of luck (such as one of the big three getting stunned early and opening the road for him, so he only has to face one of them to win maybe) but if he can win one, I even believe he will win others.

Mert