Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-26-2001, 05:34 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Unhappy

Okay, I think it's time for a different type of thread here, a more serious one.

While watching my local news recently, I overheard a story about a 13-year-old boy who killed a 8-year-old girl while apparently imitating a "wrestling move" on her. The boy didn't intentionally kill her, but she somehow died from their rough playing: he was 6' and 175 lbs. at age 13 and the girl was only like 70 lbs.

While I feel affection for the mother of the girl who died, I also disagree with the ruling that the boy could and likely will be faced with life in jail. If I am right on the above facts and it was an accident, I don't think this young boy should basically have his life taken from him for playing. Can you imagine being only 13 and knowing you will be behind bars for the rest of your life? I can't even imagine it.

What are your thoughts? Does he deserve to go behind bars for life or should he go to some sort of youth detention center?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 05:42 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I think it would be insane for them to put the young boy behind bars for life, especially over an accident like that. I can hardly fathom sending the boy to jail.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 05:44 PM   #3
RaviPachai
Sports Enthusiast

RaviPachai is on a distinguished road

I disagree.

When I read the heading of this story I too felt the way you did. But then I read the actual story and I was disgusted.

The girl was actually 6 years old and it was sickening what he did to her. I don't believe it was just a "wrestling" move, the boy literally beat the poor girl to death. I can't even be bothered to waste my time, here is the story I read, if you want to read it:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/01/25/wr....ap/index.html

If he is old enough to take a little girls life through physical violence, he's old enough to go to jail. He was old enough to realise that adminstering wrestling moves would result in some sort of injury (as they "pretend" to on WWF). So he should go to jail for his actions.

Just my thoughts.

Ravi
RaviPachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 05:49 PM   #4
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

After having just read the story that Ravi posted, I have changed my opinion. That did not seem that much of an accident. Maybe he didn't aim to kill her, but he went about beating the crap out of her. What a jerk!

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 05:58 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

I still stand firm on my decision. No human being should have their life derived from them when they do something stupid as a minor, no matter how severe it is. They should be treated and severely punished, but not having their life taken away from them, which life behind bars is like.

[Edited by M. James on 01-26-2001 at 09:11 PM]
Old 01-26-2001, 07:08 PM   #6
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by M. James
No human being should have their life derived from them when they do something stupid as a minor, no matter how severe it is. They should be treated and severely puninshed, but not having their life taken away from them, which life behind bars is like.
That little girl's life was taken away from her. What did she do Marc? I think that at age 13, you know the difference between right and wrong.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 07:37 PM   #7
RaviPachai
Sports Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by M. James
I still stand firm on my decision. No human being should have their life derived from them when they do something stupid as a minor, no matter how severe it is. They should be treated and severely puninshed, but not having their life taken away from them, which life behind bars is like.
Marc a 13yr old can go on a shooting spree killing and injuring a numerous amount of people but yet they should be severly / treated and punished but not go behind bars? Also I believe it works like this, if you are tried as an adult you don't get placed in adult prison. That boy is going to a juvenile detention center until he is old enough to enter an adult prison (this is how I believe it works for any kid who is charged with a serious crime).

Ravi

[Edited by RaviPachai on 01-26-2001 at 07:06 PM]
Old 01-26-2001, 08:50 PM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

IMO, there is no such thing as "life in prison" -- how many times do people get that scentence, and then they get out on parole in 10 years!?... OK, maybe not that fast, but a lot of people do... or maybe it's just what I hear and the actual facts don't show that.

I don't think there should be a death penalty anywhere, but having to spend your ENTIRE LIFE in the poor and rough conditions of JAIL, and the weight of what you did to an INNOCENT victim on your shoulders is good enough for me... let him, and anyone else like that, ROT in jail... they don't deserve to be in a society with sane, innocent people.

I say -- let him stay there. At 13, you should be able to know that you could seriously hurt someone by your actions.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me NOW that the WWF should be on TV?... keep it on pay-per-view for those who want to waste $20-$50 on it. Kids don't need to see it... especially on sports stations where REAL proffessional athletes and role-models should be on TV... guys with names like "The Rock" and "Stone Cold" aren't role models...
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 10:10 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Thumbs down Back up a second...

Did this boy do it on purpose? It is my perception that it was an accident.

Should he be put behind bars? I would say definitely YES, but for life? No.

If this was a grown man, it should of course be behind bars.
Old 01-26-2001, 11:09 PM   #10
RaviPachai
Sports Enthusiast

Marc, did he kill her on purpose ? Maybe not...

Did he intend on injuring her when he tried those moves ? Obviously yes (because he thinks the WWF is real, he obviously wanted to hurt this little girl).

You aren't the one who has to deal with a lost child because a childs stupidity. Think about the mother, father, aunts, uncle, grandparents who won't have the joy of seeing that little girl anymore. Put yourself in that position, would you want this boy to get off scotch free?

Ravi
Old 01-27-2001, 12:35 AM   #11
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

I think although it may not have been in the intention of killing her, he should have respected her if she was in someway injured. Also, why would he want to try to hurt a girl who was much younger than himself? He should get to get to prison but a life sentence seems like a lot for a 13 year old boy.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 02:17 AM   #12
JakeLitwicki
Grizzled Veteran

JakeLitwicki is on a distinguished road

What's going to be "funny," is how the family of the little girl will sue, the WWF, and WCW, and all the other wrestling networks because of their "portrayal of violence" to youth.

The thirteen year old must have pile drived the little girls head into the ground. Now I'm not a genius, but I think that if you're thirteen, you can figure out that if you touch hand on hot stove, it hurts...

Same goes for throwing a little girl around like a ragdoll...accident or not, he was stupid enough to do it in the first place.

Life in jail? I don't agree with that, but the little girl is dead...I think a more realistic punishment would be to have all his priviledges in life taken away, such as drivers license, passport, etc.
JakeLitwicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 11:29 AM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai
Marc, did he kill her on purpose ? Maybe not...

Did he intend on injuring her when he tried those moves ? Obviously yes (because he thinks the WWF is real, he obviously wanted to hurt this little girl).

You aren't the one who has to deal with a lost child because a childs stupidity. Think about the mother, father, aunts, uncle, grandparents who won't have the joy of seeing that little girl anymore. Put yourself in that position, would you want this boy to get off scotch free?

Ravi
Too many of your thoughts are based on assumption. Do we know for sure he intended on injuring her? He probably did, but we don't know for sure. What if the girl wanted to play, but she didn't realize it would get out of hand and the boy lost control? Do we know that he thought the WWF is real or was he just imitating the moves incorrectly?

I do realize how bad it must be for the girls family, but that's not my point. My point is that I think it's wrong to lock up a young boy for his entire life for an accident in his childhood. Children like him need to be treated punished, but not have their life derived from them. That's my opinion, whether you agree or not.
Old 01-27-2001, 12:15 PM   #14
RaviPachai
Sports Enthusiast

Im not sure if you read the article or not, but let me bring a few points from it:

Quote:
In three hours of deliberations, the Broward Circuit court jurors accepted the prosecution's contention that 13-year-old Lionel Tate intentionally stomped, punched and kicked Tiffany Eunick, which constituted child abuse.

Another:

Quote:
No one disputed that the 170-pound Lionel, then 12, beat Tiffany to death on July 28, 1999, in the Pembroke Park home he shared with his mother, who was baby-sitting for the 48-pound girl. Grossett-Tate was asleep at the time.
And Some more:

Quote:
An autopsy showed Tiffany suffered a fractured skull, lacerated liver, broken rib, internal hemorrhaging and cuts and bruises.
Quote:
A few days after her death, Lionel told police that he picked Tiffany up and accidentally hit her head against a table. He later made a videotape with a court-appointed psychologist where he claimed to have accidentally thrown Tiffany into a stair handrail and a wall while trying to throw her onto a sofa.
Quote:
Before trial, prosecutors offered Lionel a three-year sentence plus 10 years' probation if he pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

As you can see he had a chance. By looking at those articles, I can say that boy meant to injure that little girl. And if she "wanted" to play, you think he's not old enough to realise he's hurting someone? My point is someone has to pay for a hideous crime that was committed. Taking someone's life is much more then just an "accident" or "mistake" especially in a case like this.

Ravi

Old 01-29-2001, 12:57 AM   #15
JakeLitwicki
Grizzled Veteran

JakeLitwicki is on a distinguished road

*Enter Media*

BLAME THE VIDEO GAMES!!

the damn violent video games, and TV shows put these evil thoughts into children!

It's the video games!!!!

*Enter Jake*

>SLAP< shut up! the kid is thirteen, if he has half a brain he can figure out things on his own. video games my arse, every kid has played mortal kombat, or seen some kind of violence on TV, we all don't go around beating six year olds to death.
JakeLitwicki is offline   Reply With Quote