Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 02-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Why Do You Love MLB?

I love baseball because I think its the greatest game of all games.

Watching the great hitters and the great pitchers. I enjoy the different personalties that make up the game.

I love rooting for certain players. When they do good I feel good.

I love reading about the players from way back and all the great teams that have existed since 1901.

I love it because of the great strategies deployed in each game.

I love all the different baseball fields. The grass, the dirt and the walls or fences.

Places like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. Each of these parks have their own personality.

I love watching all the young talent and watching them develop over the years.

I love seeing records being broke or set.

I love watching the managers and how they react in different situations, especially with umpires.

I love studying the boxscores each morning in the newspaper.

The postseason really excites me. The World Series is the greatest championship game in the world.

Here's are some reactions from major league players, fans, owners and GM's.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Despite the rampant steroid use I feel like the league isn't trying to dick around fans like the NFL does with their various crap (celebration bans, no tailgating at the Super Bowl, etc.).

Growing up in CT I have had the unique opportunity to be right in the middle of the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry at perhaps the height of it. Some of my closest friends are Yankee fans, some are Sox fans. It makes for some very interesting discussion and such. It's what Ohio State-Michigan and Alabama-Auburn is to those states, in New York and New England, Sox and Yankee fans have a general dislike for one another.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I like baseball because the fans can get together and discuss the game. I like baseball because of the young players in the minors. Some are going to make it, some are not. Many of the kids realize they have their "dream" job and truly relish every moment they are there. Some, unfortunately, take it for granted and are a bit "difficult" with the fans.
I have met many ballplayers in my life and the truly great ones all have something in common -- they are humble and gracious if approached right. If one is genuine with the request, most will sign an autograph for you.
A few years ago, Torii Hunter and Jacque Jones came out of the Metrodome after a game carrying a card table and folding chairs. They set them up and signed autographs for the kids until everyone had one and then they went about their business.
I enjoy going to games to watch the kids progress through the minors. I see them in the Midwest League and then in the Pacific Coast League. The attitudes are similar in the good ones. Generally, they know if they are going to make it to the bigs by the time they reach AAA. Some will, others won't, but they play because it is a great job.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

To me, Major League Baseball is the greatest professional American sport to watch live, in-person.

I have been to Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City numerous times, and I have seen a lot of great football played there in one of the NFL's best overall atmospheres, but nothing compares to sitting in the laid-back environment of "The K" on a wonderful summer afternoon (or summer evening with the fountains going in the outfield) and striking up several pleasant conversations with other baseball fans who ventured out to the ballpark to relax and enjoy a game and the beautiful day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
Jacque Jones
Two years ago I met Jacque Jones at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City. I was at the stadium for a couple of meetings and went out onto the field to watch the Royals' batting practice. I was standing directly in front of the Minnesota Twins' dug-out, when Jones pops out and startling me when he says "who the hell are you, and what are you doing in front of my dug-out?"

I had a chance to strike up about a ten-minute conversation with him before he went to the locker room and he seemed like a good guy.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I love baseball because it reminds me of my youth.

I love baseball because it reminds me of going to games with my pops, and having a hot dog and some ice cream.

I love baseball because it is a thinking man's sport.

I love baseball because every game has countless stories involved: each batter has a different story (what he has done against this pitcher, in this park, in this month, ect...)

I love baseball because of the sound of a hard hit ball.

I love baseball because of the records, that are meant to be broken.

I love baseball because of the tradition.

I love baseball because of opening day (a holiday in Cincinnati)

I love baseball because of day games, business man's special.

I love baseball because it is the best sport ever created by mankind.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh
I love baseball because of day games, business man's special.
There was nothing I loved more as a kid then getting home from school, coming home to eat a Rice Krispies treat (or a bowl of ice cream) and watch the later innings of a Chicago Cubs day game on WGN.

Catch the end of the Cubs game, eat some dinner with the family, and then listen to the Royals on Radio until I fell asleep.

Those were the days!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
There was nothing I loved more as a kid then getting home from school, coming home to eat a Rice Krispies treat (or a bowl of ice cream) and watch the later innings of a Chicago Cubs day game on WGN.

Catch the end of the Cubs game, eat some dinner with the family, and then listen to the Royals on Radio until I fell asleep.

Those were the days!
I think that is one of the great joys for many baseball fans. The nastalgic feelings baseball brings out. I think most of us get that boyish happiness while listening/watching your favorite team.

Oh yeah:

I love baseball because of Marty Brennamen (cincinnati broadcaster, hall of famer). Next to Vin Scullie (sp?), he is the best in the game.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
OMG! I did the exact same thing growing up. Came home from school to watch the Cubs play on WGN (before they installed lights for night games) - Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson and Co., with Harry Carray & Steve Stone calling the games. Our neighbors were originally from Chicago, HUGE Cubs fans. When the husband died years ago they spread his ashes on Wrigley Field......

I know the games don't count, but I love Spring Training. Smell of fresh-cut grass, polish sausage with an ice cold beer.....ahhhhh..........

Last edited by suedon1970; 02-16-2007 at 03:55 PM.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970
polish sausage
Now you are speaking my language...
Old 02-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
suedon1970
Sports Chick

I think it is an absolute travesty, sacrilege, etc. that the Dodgers are leaving Dodgertown (Vero Beach) after this year to train in AZ. :redhot:

Whatever happened to tradition?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

They have most of their organization West of the Mississippi, so to move to Arizona, closer to their fan base, is a calculated risk. They'll probably have their Rookie League team there as well.

Catman
Old 02-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
georgiaboy
Rookie Player

georgiaboy is on a distinguished road

I love baseball, major league, college, heck, I like Little League! It's the perfect sport for lazy summer nights....you don't have to pay total attention, and its just looks so right on a bright green field, on a sunny day, too.
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
They have most of their organization West of the Mississippi, so to move to Arizona, closer to their fan base, is a calculated risk. They'll probably have their Rookie League team there as well.
True, but it's been that way forever. Why change now?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Possibly, they want to consolidate their fan-base?
Business decisions of this sort are puzzlers. No one, other than the Dodgers' management, knows why it happened.

Catman