Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Who will win the Championship
Mavericks 4 26.67%
Heat 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 AM   #106
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted By buckeyefan78
USA Today reported that the Finals will be the 3rd least watched in history.

That's your stat of the day Tark...LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted By Tarkus
So much for my unsubstantiated point of view, huh???
The average television rating for this year's NBA Finals is 9.12 (the largest rating coming in game five of the series with a 10.2 rating). The all-time lowest average ratings for an NBA Finals series are:

1. San Antonio vs. New Jersey in 2003 - 6.5 average rating
2. Boston vs. Houston in 1981 - 6.7 average rating
3. Seattle vs. Washington in 1979 - 7.2 average rating
4. Los Angeles vs. Philadelphia in 1980 - 8.0 average rating
5. San Antonio vs. Detroit in 2005 - 8.2 average rating

And since I know that it is not a well-liked opinion for myself to use statistical information in my posts, I will try to post this without mentioning that the NBA playoff ratings this year rose 14 percent on TNT and rose 22 percent on ESPN.

And since it won't help my case, I have also decided to go without mentioning that the average NBA attendance during this year's playoffs is around 17,000 people, reminiscent of the height of the NBA's popularity during the era of Michael Jordan.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #107
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker
And since I know that it is not a well-liked opinion for myself to use statistical information in my posts, I will try to post this without mentioning that the NBA playoff ratings this year rose 14 percent on TNT and rose 22 percent on ESPN.
Toby, please feel free to use as many statistics in your posts as you like.. sports are all about statistics, and I for one appreciate the numbers! Let 'em fly!

These numbers tell me that the public likes to watch Dirk Vs. Shaq & Wade considerably more than they enjoyed, say, Duncan/Parker/Ginobili Vs. The Pistons... which was my complaint last year: boooooooring.

I like people with attitude who aren't afraid to speak their mind, like Shaq and Cuban... amps up the drama, and makes the game more fun!!
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #108
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndo
These numbers tell me that the public likes to watch Dirk Vs. Shaq & Wade considerably more than they enjoyed, say, Duncan/Parker/Ginobili Vs. The Pistons... which was my complaint last year: boooooooring.

I like people with attitude who aren't afraid to speak their mind, like Shaq and Cuban... amps up the drama, and makes the game more fun!!
Completely agree, Shawndo. I am a very casual NBA fan and I have been more into the finals this year than the past few years because the Spurs and/or the Pistons aren't there this year. Love Shaq & Wade, Avery Johnson, Dirk, Jason Terry, etc. And Mark Cuban too, although I agree with many that he needs to quit whining after every game the Mavs lose due to his claims of poor officiating, even though some if it is warranted.....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #109
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted By Shawndo
Which takes me back to my original point that "casual" NBA fans like suedon, and "die-hard" NBA fans like Shawndo are enjoying this year's product (a much different stance than that of fans being driven away because of "the lack of a quality product" like others may have you believe).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #110
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Predictions for Game 6 tonight??

I'm going with the Mavs tonight, although I'd love to see the Heat close out.
Why? --

1. Mavs just lost three in a row in Miami. Finally getting to go back home; you know they're BURNING for revenge.

2. The possible lapses in officiating going against Dallas, adding fuel to the Mavs' fire ( a-the uncalled possible Heat backcourt violation, b-the VERY questionable last second foul on Nowitzki that could have been the difference in the game, c-Officials possibly partly to blame for the improperly-timed timeout that could have been the difference in the game.)

3. The Return of the Jedi (er, Jerry... Stackhouse... the Mavs' 2nd or 3rd leading scorer off the bench)

4. Stern Vs. Cuban..... Cuban stands up for his team, no doubt about that, and could easily channel this into an "us against the world" mentality for his team, which would only further fuel the fire.

All of this adds up to my prediction that the Mavs' Fire tonight will be far hotter than Miami's 'Heat'...
I'll be impressed if Miami hangs in there and makes it even close.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #111
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Yea, keep those stats, comin'...

They sure help out the argument that the quality is there for basketball fans....:lol: The small increase is based on the casual fan which is great for them but it's surely not the quality of the game. You refuse to use the whole stat that it's an increase from last years plummet of 31%. Somehow you mysteriously leave that point out....How come a toilet & toilet rim analogy comes to mind??? Hmmmm....

They're not here for Shaq's attempt at a 4th ring, are they?? The overabundance of TOs, horrific FT attempts & mistake prone basketball doesn't exist cuz of a modest increase in ratings??? 7 points in a 4th quarter of a playoff game, a new record, must mean something good, huh? :lol: Etc., etc., etc.....

As vanilla & not fan friendly last years Finals was, it was much more of a sound played series than any game this year. Well, not that a casual fan might notice.

It's still pretty amazing tho that you quote ratings & then say it's cuz of quality. Just how do they know that?? I'm sure there must be a stat for that, isn't there? & throwing in an attendance record really clears things up... & I wouldn't mention MJ if I were you for fear some stats from a bygone era may come up & bite ya...

Thanks for stopping in to talk Finals basketball, Toby. Oh wait...you haven't yet...

p.s. If you're gonna live stats, you should at least post links...

Last edited by Tarkus; 06-20-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #112
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

In a casual NBA fan's defense (and I guess I am not that casual compared to the majority of the population, just compared to many of you guys) - I DO know the difference between quality play and not. That doesn't mean I'm not still interested in the outcome of each game and the players. (especially since I have gotten into sports betting!!)
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #113
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Who else wants a Haq-a-Shaq? That was freakin' hilarious. :lol:
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #114
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Wow, so much for my prediction of Miami struggling to even keep it close!

:lol: How about Miami player who wants it the most: Alonzo Mourning :lol: anyone see that 'seizure' he had on the ground after that block? LMAO
that guy sure is animated... he knows this is his last chance, I suspect.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #115
matthews_world
Sports Enthusiast

matthews_world is on a distinguished road

4th quarter, 8:20 left. Miami up by 5, 77-72.... Stackhouse with a 3!!!!!!!!
matthews_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #116
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

1976 Net. Year Series Average
Rating
CBS 1976 Boston Celtics 4, Phoenix Suns 2... 11.5
CBS 1977 Portland Trailblazers 4, Philadelphia 76ers 2... 12.7
CBS 1978 Washington Bullets 4, Seattle Supersonics 3... 9.9
CBS 1979 Seattle Supersonics 4, Washington Bullets 1... 7.2
CBS 1980 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Philadelphia 76ers... 8.0
CBS 1981 Boston Celtics 4, Houston Rockets 2... 6.7
CBS 1982 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Philadelphia 76ers 2... 13.0
CBS 1983 Philadelphia 76ers 4, Los Angeles Lakers 0... 12.3
CBS 1984 Boston Celtics 4, Los Angeles Lakers 3... 12.3
CBS 1985 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Boston Celtics 2... 13.7
CBS 1986 Boston Celtics 4, Houston Rockets 2... 14.1
CBS 1987 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Boston Celtics 2... 15.9
CBS 1988 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Detroit Pistons 3... 15.4
CBS 1989 Detroit Pistons 4, Los Angeles Lakers 0... 15.1
CBS 1990 Detroit Pistons 4, Portland Trailblazers 1... 12.3
NBC 1991 Chicago Bulls 4, Los Angeles Lakers 1... 15.8
NBC 1992 Chicago Bulls 4, Portland Trailblazers 2... 14.2
NBC 1993 Chicago Bulls 4, Phoenix Suns 2 ...17.9
NBC 1994 Houston Rockets 4, New York Knicks 3... 12.4
NBC 1995 Houston Rockets 4, Orlando Magic 0... 13.9
NBC 1996 Chicago Bulls 4, Seattle Supersonics 2... 16.7
NBC 1997 Chicago Bulls 4, Utah Jazz 2... 16.8
NBC 1998 Chicago Bulls 4, Utah Jazz 2... 18.7
NBC 1999 San Antonio Spurs 4, New York Knicks 1... 11.3
NBC 2000 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Indiana Pacers 2... 11.6
NBC 2001 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Philadelphia 76ers 1... 12.1
NBC 2002 Los Angeles Lakers 4, New Jersey Nets 0... 10.2
ABC 2003 San Antonio Spurs 4, New Jersey Nets 2... 6.5
ABC 2004 Detroit Pistons 4, Los Angeles Lakers 1... 11.5
ABC 2005 San Antonio Spurs 4, Detroit Pistons 3... 8.2

Ok Toby, let's get down to brass tax.

First off, WE ELIMINATE 1980 AND 1981 BECAUSE THE GAMES WERE ON TAPE DELAY. I know you weren't born, but I have the phone records to verify this. I had my uncle out in Cali give me the play-by-play of Game 6 of the 1980 Finals over the horn because I couldn't wait until 2 AM to watch the game. I was too nervous. Celebrated over the phone and at the crack of dawn when they put the game on for me.

Since 1976 (earliest ratings I could find), here are the Finals with the lowest ratings that were not on tape delay...

1. Spurs-Nets...2003
2. Spurs-Pistons...2005
3. Sonics-Bullets...1979
4. Heat-Mavs...2006 (projected)

Explanation? Looks as if 1979 is a watershed year. Wonder what happened in 79? Interesting.

Highest Rated CBS Games Game Year/Event Rating
Game 7 1988 NBA Finals 21.2
Game 7 1984 NBA Finals 19.3
Game 4 1987 NBA Finals 18.9
Game 5 1987 NBA Finals 18.9

These are the highest rated Finals games ever aside from the 98 Finals (sounds like another significant year). There ya got that damn Game 7 in 1988 again. Despite being played on June 21 (latest date ever at that point and currently 3rd latest date) it did "ok" in the ratings dept.

Here's the link if you wanna thumb...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ielsen_ratings

Attendance?

Should I do the research and show how new arenas seat more than yesteryear (you youngsters would be amazed at some of the joints in the 70s and early 80s)? Everyone is playing in cribs built within the last 10 or so years...roughly. Another bad stat Toby. That's the old movie trick when they say Flick A (released in 2006) made 10x the money of Flick B (released in 1967) in ticket sales. Yea, because it cost an arm and a leg to go to Flick A in comparison to Flick B.

Enough of this nonsense though, will you please tell us without stats why the NBA Finals are back?

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 06-21-2006 at 03:32 AM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #117
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

back on the rise... sheesh.. nonsense is right. This argument should almost be split off into another thread. Buckeye I hope you didn't take time away from watching the game to do all that research...

oh and welcome to the boards, Matthews_world! :wavey:
Old 06-20-2006, 11:51 PM   #118
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I looked it up earlier tonight Shawn.

The 1980 Finals play-by-play "stat" is homegrown. Just gotta go in the memory bank and remember the joy of that one. Comin' down to the wire...less than a minute left. Alonzo Mourning...you may actually get a check this week. Check that mailbox. Bout damn time.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #119
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

champagne's on ice and the jello's jigglin'!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #120
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

And there is balance in the universe once again. Shaq and Riley on top of the mountain as it should be!!

Not bad for a buncha unwanteds.

Cuban: too bad you can't "dotcom" an NBA title.

Wisdom and experience prevails over youth and flash once more!

Only two teams have ever come back from down 2-0 (as noted on tv)...

1969 Celtics...Wilt's first season in L.A. West, Baylor, and Wilt can't hold off Russell's final charge to glory. Celts win at The Forum in Game 7 as an emotional Russell cries during postgame.

1977 Blazers...Dr. J. denied his first NBA crown by the upstart Blazers and a young redhead named Walton. The Cinderella Blazers complete the miracle season by finishing off the heavily favored Lakers in the Western Finals and Sixers in 6 games.

Welcome to the club Miami.

I'm in Bill Walton mode tonight!