Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 05-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Knicks to Buy Out Brown?

It is being reported that the Knicks are considering paying Larry Brown $40 mil not to coach the team next year and that Isiah may finally take the job as Head Coach. If this happens I have to ask is James Dolan's intent not to sell any season tickets for next season? Does he not realize that Zeke is Public Enemy numbers one and two in NYC. He may be even more villified than Big Papi right now.

The only reason Thomas had any modicum of success in Indy as the Head Coach was because he had a competent personnel guy in Donnie Walsh making up the roster for him. I know Bulls fans would love to see Zeke running the team as it would ensure them another pick near the top of the lottery next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2444469
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
JChitwood
Grizzled Veteran

JChitwood is on a distinguished road

Exactly how much money does Dolan have that he can sit back allow Isiah to sign scrubs to $40 million deals and then spend another $40 to get rid of Larry Brown. Absoluteyl, amazing. Hey James, do think maybe Isiah is the problem? He single handidly ran the CBA into the ground, and has bombed as a personnel guy, and as doublee noted, he had a great roster to work with in Indiana.

However, if he were fired, I would miss reading about his latest moronic decision.
JChitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChitwood
Exactly how much money does Dolan have that he can sit back allow Isiah to sign scrubs to $40 million deals and then spend another $40 to get rid of Larry Brown.
Well, he's the President and C.E.O. of Cablevision...oh yeah, he also owns the Knicks and Rangers.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

This is INSANE. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion... it's the perfect storm of franchise destruction
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if Larry Brown will coach the Kings next year after the Knicks buy him out.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:33 AM   #6
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

I will laugh so much if this happens. Hey, remember when the Knicks were a real franchise?
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Why? You have to give him more than one season to turn things around. I don't get that. The person at fault is clearly Isiah for his moves, yet they are poised to fire the wrong guy and give the person at fault more power. They must be smoking some good stuff in the Big Apple...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Marc, they had a columnists from one of the NY papers on ESPN News the other day and he made the statement that Isiah and Dolan are both convinced that they have a playoff caliber roster and that they should have been in the postseason this year. If they have truly deluded themselves into believing that then I can see how they could convince each other that Brown needs to go.

My stance from the beginning has always been that Brown was a horrible fit for that team. To begin with he and Marbury did not exactly hit it off during the Olympics when Brown was the coach and the talent on that roster does not fit Brown's style of play. Brown wins with teams built like the Pacers and Pistons who will play defense and spread the ball around in the halfcourt offense and play for the best shot not a team with a bunch of run-and-gun playground players who have no concept of playing defense or running a halfcourt offense.

Without a serious roster overhaul with Brown's input the Knicks are going nowhere next year either, and given that the Knicks have zero financial flexibility this offseason and traded their top pick away to get Curry the team is going to suck whether Brown is there or not.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Well, Marc, they had a columnists from one of the NY papers on ESPN News the other day and he made the statement that Isiah and Dolan are both convinced that they have a playoff caliber roster and that they should have been in the postseason this year. If they have truly deluded themselves into believing that then I can see how they could convince each other that Brown needs to go.

My stance from the beginning has always been that Brown was a horrible fit for that team. To begin with he and Marbury did not exactly hit it off during the Olympics when Brown was the coach and the talent on that roster does not fit Brown's style of play. Brown wins with teams built like the Pacers and Pistons who will play defense and spread the ball around in the halfcourt offense and play for the best shot not a team with a bunch of run-and-gun playground players who have no concept of playing defense or running a halfcourt offense.

Without a serious roster overhaul with Brown's input the Knicks are going nowhere next year either, and given that the Knicks have zero financial flexibility this offseason and traded their top pick away to get Curry the team is going to suck whether Brown is there or not.
Again, I ask, remember when the Knicks were a real franchise? On the one hand, it is truly one of life's mysteries that Isiah Thomas is still employed. On the other, there'll be so much less to laugh at once he is finally fired. And isn't it really all about laughter?
Sports Again?!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I heard a good line on Rome's show a few days back where a caller said he is sick and tired of hearing about how Brian Cashman has the toughest job in sports, the guy who has to follow Isiah and clean up his mess will have the toughest job in sports...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

It's now official:

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Larry Brown was fired by the New York Knicks on Thursday and replaced as coach by president and general manager Isiah Thomas.

In Brown's one season in New York, the Knicks stumbled to a 23-59 record -- second worst in the NBA and matching the most losses in club history.

Brown endured a miserable season with the Knicks, squabbling with star guard Stephon Marbury and other players and missing three games in April because of illness. He had only one worse season as a coach, when he went 21-61 with the San Antonio Spurs in 1988-89.

His coaching status had been in limbo for months, and reports surfaced in May that owner James Dolan was looking to buy out Brown's contract. It was at about that time that Brown called himself a "dead man walking" because of the uncertainty.

The Hall of Fame coach signed a five-year deal with the Knicks before last season worth a reported $50 million.

Brown, a Brooklyn native, described his hiring last year as a "dream job," and the Knicks hoped his homecoming would lead to a long-awaited return to the playoffs. But despite a league-high payroll of more than $120 million, New York struggled throughout the season.

"No one in our organization is happy with last season and we all accept responsibility for our performance," Thomas said in a statement released by the Knicks. "This has been a difficult time for the entire organization and our fans.

"Larry Brown is a great coach, but for various reasons, bringing him to the Knicks did not turn out the way we had hoped and we wish him the best in the future."

Thomas joined the Knicks as president and GM in December 2003. He was coach of the Indiana Pacers for three seasons through 2002-03, compiling a 131-115 record.

Brown coached the Detroit Pistons to the NBA title in the 2003-04 season. He missed 17 games the following year with the Pistons because of hip replacement surgery. That led to a bladder problem that required surgery in November. He had offseason surgery to address the problem.

"Larry has had a long and storied career. We hired him last summer with the expectation that he would be with the Knicks for a long time," Dolan said. "Sometimes decisions work and sometimes they don't."
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Most cursed franchise of the league? Sure ain't the Clippers anymore... :lol:

Any feelings on where Larry Brown might go next year?
Or maybe he'll just retire... he could sit on his ass all year and still make 10 million, right? What a life...
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The local scuttlebutt is that he is coming to Charlotte. I hope it isn't to be the coach though. Brown hates young players and if he gets his way in Charlotte they will trade off guys like Felton and Wallace for veterans that Brown likes.

There are also rumors that Golden State may want him. If that is the case both teams are making a mistake in hiring Brown. Don't get me wrong, Brown is a great coach, but he is not a good fit in the NBA for a young team. He needs to go to a team that has established veterans and needs someone to help get them over the top. It is too bad Sacramento didn't wait it out, Brown would have been the ideal choice over Musselman to coach the Kings.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #14
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

True that, I think Brown would have been awesome in Sacramento... could have been the difference between a team that goes fairly deep into the playoffs and a title contender. Sacramento's chemistry reminds me vaguely of Detroit...

Hmmmmm... Jordan and Brown to Charlotte... if that's true, Charlotte's 'stock' would sure rise initially, but it would remain to be seen if it had a good or detrimental effect. Definitely be interesting though..
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #15
Hall of Famer

When I saw that Brown was fired on the ticker yesterday morning I said aloud, "That's funny. That's really funny. Wow... that's funny." I couldn't even muster up the energy to laugh because this is so typically the Knicks.

Knicks fans are committing suicide. Even more than usual. How can one man do so much damage to such a prestigious franchise over such a prolonged period of time (that's the real kicker!) and still keep his job??? Isiah Thomas is a wonder unto himself.
Sports Again?!