Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default The Red Hot Phoenix Suns

stayed on top of the league by beating Seattle 112-110.
What a great game that must have been!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3258358

We've talked about Seattle on another thread, but why do you guys think Phoenix is doing so well?
I have to admit I haven't watched a Suns game yet this year, but from the highlights I see and what I read, it looks like the mixture of talent is well-balanced; Amare really coming into his own, Shawn 'The Matrix' Marion thriving, and Q Rich as well, probably mostly due to the the veteran floor general leadership of Steve Nash, who's becoming very Jason Kiddish.
Anyway, I'm making a point to watch the Suns!
And anyone know where Marion got his 'Matrix' nickname?
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's pretty simple to see why Phoenix is good. They have a plethora of explosive, talented young guys in Marion, Amare (this guy is only a teenager, no?), and Richardson. Add a guy like Nash who gives all these guys good looks and he makes everyone around him better. Plus, the West is not as strong anymore, IMO, although still better than the East. I enjoy watching the Suns and they're good for the league because everyone loves their high-scoring games.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Richardson has been a bit of a disappointment thus far this year. Of the starting 5 he is the only one shooting under 45%. He is shooting a woeful 38% this year and I have read where the Suns may be looking to move him.

I think a lot of the Suns success has to do with getting Marbury out of there and deciding to build the team around Amare. Stoudemire's game has exploded since Marbury was traded. This team is built a lot like the Dallas squads that Nash used to lead. They have five guys capable of dropping 30 any given night of week. When you have that much firepower where the team is shooting .478 from the field and four starters are shooting over .450 it becomes awful tough to try and double anyone on the the floor. On top of that all five guys are athletic players who get up and down the floor.

As for Marion's nickname I would guess it probably has something to do with all the acrobatics he engages in when he drives to the hoop. He does and awful lot of twisting, turning, and contorting kind of like the guys in the Matrix do in the wire fighting scenes.

FYI, Amare is 22 years old.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

NBA.com says he graduated high school in '02 -- that would make him 20 when he graduated?

:wtf:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

No, he has a late birthday he just turned 22 in November. So, he would have been 19 when graduated. His high school career was shrouded in a lot of controversy and academic fraud. But, he would have turned 20 during his rookie season ('02-'03), 21 during his second season ('03-'04) and 22 this season.

Also, it looks as though the Spurs have a little something to say about who the best in the West is this year thumping the Suns 115-94 tonight.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote