Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 09-27-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Conan O'Brien to Replace Leno on Tonight Show in 2009!!!!!

It's official ... starting 2009 (I know it's five years from now) ...... Conan takes over for Jay Leno. This is awesome. I won't have to stay up so late to see the real "King of Comedy."

I'm seriously pumped.

Here's the link to the story if there are any other big fans of the man who brought you such classics as "If they mated" .... "Triumph the Comic Insult Dog" and "In the Year 2000" .....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tv_nbc_tonight

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

No offense, HF, but that's gotta be the worst news (besides the NHL lockout of course... ) I've heard.

There are times he's been hilarious like you noted above but he has to be the only talk show host I've ever seen (except for Arsenio Hall & even he wasn't as bad) that consistently talks over his guests to get in his jokes.

Besides that, he never knows to when to let a skit die...alot like what SNL morphed into. & I could live out the rest of my days in serenity if I was to never see that stupid crapping robot or the inane masturbating Bear again.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Let me guess ...... a Letterman fan? Oh well. I agree with the crapping robot and the masturbating bear. Everybody makes mistakes. I just like Conan cause he's incredibly immature for a man his age and he always has the best musical guests.

Then there's Max Weinberg who's pretty funny when he wants to be and Joel the announcer is just crazy.

Oh well, sad to hear you don't share my joy Tarkus. To each his own.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 09-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

No, actually a Leno fan, HF lol

Don't get me wrong, I watch him a lot tho some of that has to do with what's on. My wife hates him but I think he can be pretty funny at times. It's just that when he wastes a guests time slot by being too hyper, it becomes a bit aggravating.

But like you say...to each his own..
Old 09-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I've said it before, I'll say a thousand times: Conan was better with Andy Richter at his side.

Dave
Old 09-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Conan came to Toronto in the spring and I wasn't impressed really. I mean, his jokes were HILARIOUS but I just didn't like his style or... I dunno really, I guess I should watch a "real" show and see what I think. Leno is just king to me.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

MD .... fully agree on that ..... I wish Richter would come back.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:28 PM   #8
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I love Conan, and I agree that the show was better with Andy Richter. But I think he'll do fine, and I imagine his show will be tweaked slightly from the late night version when he does make the switch.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Despite its incredibly short run, I kinda liked Richter's pretty quirky sitcom, the name of which eludes me right now. Big surprise.

(Andy Richter Rules the World? Something like that.)

Dave
Old 09-27-2004, 11:24 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I like Conan, out of all that's out there ( Carson is the MASTER though ). Thing is, at that 11:30 time slot, they generally make you go straight and bland like they did to Letterman. He's not as squeaky clean as Leno, and still has a LITTLE edge, if that's possible. Actually, out of all the times I saw the Tonight Show in person, Leno's warming up of the crowd before the show was MUCH funnier than his on-air stuff.

I guess that's tv for ya.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:27 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Dave, you mean Quintuplets on FOX? That show did well and is coming back this Fall.

I love Conan, he's my favorite late night host. Unfortunately, I didn't see him when Richter was there, but his whole style is very appealing to me. I think Leno is nowhere near the comic genius Conan is, although I still enjoy him and watching NBC's late night shows is my routine before I go to bed. Leno already mentioned this on air, will Conan, as well? I hope so.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:48 PM   #12
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Best late show is Kimmell though...and Jon Stewart...but Conan is seriously more funny than Leno...Leno sucked badly
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:34 PM   #13
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

It should be obvious that Conan is my favorite as well ...... Kornbix, nice props to Jon Stewart ..... well deserved. Personally I would like to see Al Frankin, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly co-host a late night show. It would be a riot.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:36 PM   #14
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Kornbix
Leno sucked badly
He SUCKED?

People act as if this is the end of Leno.

THE GUY HAS 5 MORE YEARS.

Who knows what could happen by then?

And if nothing happens, Leno is still going to be here for 5 more years.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:59 AM   #15
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Ellis I agree, Leno is a great comedian and he's certainly got 5 great years ahead of him. Then it's Conan Time!

I watched Conan last night and all I have to say is that the guy is a class act. After his monologue he sat down and discussed his appointment as the new host of the Tonight Show in 2009. It was weird seeing him act so humble and serious for the couple of minutes that he spoke. He thanked the fans, everyone who worked on his show, and in particular Jay Leno who he noted has been a big source of support and inspiration for him when he joined NBC 11 years ago. He praised Leno up as his mentor/friend and expressed his deepest gratitude for the privledged opportunity that he had received. It was a fitting speech. A pretty classy guy all in all.