Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 08-10-2001, 02:43 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Post 2001 Conference Picks/Predictions

Everyone pick your top three teams in each major conference:

ACC
1. Duke
2. Maryland
3. North Carolina

Big 12
1. Iowa State
2. Kansas
3. Oklahoma

Big East
1. Boston College
2. Providence
3. Connecticut

Big 10
1. Illinois
2. Michigan State
3. Ohio State

Pac-10
1. UCLA
2. Stanford
3. Arizona

SEC
1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Mississippi

How each team finished last year: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/mbasketball/standings

Last edited by Marc; 08-10-2001 at 11:39 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 03:09 PM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I guess we really needed a CBB topic, Marc! Isn't this a bit early? Ah, screw it, since me and you are the only real big CBB people, I'll post my picks. BTW, CUSA is not major.

ACC
1. Duke
2. Maryland
3. North Carolina

Big East
1. Boston College
2. Georgetown
3. Providence

Big 12
1. Missouri
2. Kansas
3. Oklahoma

Big 10(11)
1. Illinois
2. Iowa
3. Michigan St.

Pac-10
1. UCLA
2. Stanford
3. Cal (or one of those kind of teams, like USC, just not U of A)

SEC
1. Florida
2. Kentucky
3. Mississippi

Tenative Final Four Picks (in no order): Duke, Florida, Illinois, Missouri/Maryland.

Last edited by Ross; 08-10-2001 at 03:19 PM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 11:41 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Big D
SEC
1. Florida
2. Kentucky
3. Mississippi

Tenative Final Four Picks (in no order): Duke, Florida, Illinois, Missouri/Maryland.
Hello? Where's Kentucky in your Final Four picks? They are a top three team constantly, and I'm ready to backup my opinion in any argument. How is Florida #1? They lost their top recruit to the NBA and PG Teddy Dupay is in trouble with the NCAA. Was waiting for this to happen...
Old 08-10-2001, 11:55 PM   #4
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Marc, his predictions don't always have to agree with yours...

ACC
Duke
Maryland
UNC

Big East
BC
Providence
Georgetown

Big 10
Illinois
Michigan State
Ohio State

Big 12
Kansas
Iowa State
Oklahoma

Pac 10
UCLA
Arizona
Stanford

SEC
Kentucky (don't wanna get attacked by Marc)
Florida
Mississippi

Last edited by NickHammy; 08-10-2001 at 11:58 PM.
NickHammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 02:37 PM   #5
Ross
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames
Hello? Where's Kentucky in your Final Four picks? They are a top three team constantly, and I'm ready to backup my opinion in any argument. How is Florida #1? They lost their top recruit to the NBA and PG Teddy Dupay is in trouble with the NCAA. Was waiting for this to happen...
Well, should Dupay be banned, Kentucky is the SEC favorite. However, as every thing stands now, Kentucky lost their Center, Parker, and Florida has an excellent center in Haslem. There lies the difference.
Old 08-11-2001, 08:44 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Big D
Well, should Dupay be banned, Kentucky is the SEC favorite. However, as every thing stands now, Kentucky lost their Center, Parker, and Florida has an excellent center in Haslem. There lies the difference.
Dupay is not enough of a factor to sway things. Yes, we lost Parker, but he may be back, plus, we gained Jules Camara back, who was a great big body before sitting out on DUI charges. He fills the Parker void easily. Kentucky has two returning potential NBA stars, including returning SEC Player of the Year and possible NCAA Player of the Year candidate, Tayshaun Prince , and Keith Bogans. We have All-American stud Rashard Carruth coming in, as well. We are easily the deepest team in the country - PERIOD. We had to have guys pay for their right to stay on the team since we had so many. At one point, it was like 17 players, but it is lowered now to comply with rules. Tubby is back with a contract extension, as well. Do you want me to go on? Because I can. I just don't think Florida compares to Kentucky.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:14 PM   #7
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

Geese Marc, people ARE allowed to disagree with you about Kentucky basketball. I think they will be average as well.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:07 PM   #8
Ross
Hall of Famer

Well, Rick, I don't see them being average, as average in my mind in the SEC is 16-14 (which gets you into the tourney if you're Georgia :uhoh: ) I think they will be average or slightly above by Kentucky standards, about 22-7, and 12-4 in conference.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:04 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Dogg
Geese Marc, people ARE allowed to disagree with you about Kentucky basketball. I think they will be average as well.
Kentucky will lose two games this season barring no major injuries. Rick - people are allowed to disagree, but I like to prove them wrong. If anyone wants to prove why they don't think Kentucky will be good, I invite you to go ahead.
Old 08-17-2001, 12:26 AM   #10
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

Well you can talk all you want, but only the players can prove people wrong.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 02:42 PM   #11
CameronCrazy
Rookie Player

CameronCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Part 1

Here’s my predictions and I ranked the conference too… sorry it’s so long (I had to break it into 2 posts cause the thing said I was over 10000 characters or something), but this is one of my favorite things to do every season.

1. ACC
1. Duke
2. Maryland
3. UNC
breakdown: Ya, I’m a Duke fan but you gotta admit they’re gonna be good again. Battier’s impossible to replace, but the three jr.’s & their super sophomore, Chris Duhon, will step up for Coach K. They’re also adding Rutger’s transfer, Dahntay Jones and 2001 McDonald’s All-American Daniel Ewing. I’ve seen Dahntay Jones play in Duke practices – at times he was THE best player on the court and that was when he was playing with last year’s team (look @ this article for more on Jones: Dahntay's Rising ). Duhon, Boozer, and Jones improved their games even more this summer when they helpd the U21 team win gold in Japan (One-on-One with the MVP of the U21 tournament, Chris Duhon & Is Boozer ready to lead Blue Devils?)… Gary Williams has two potential All-Americans in Lonny Baxter and Juan Dixon and Steve Blake could easily make the 1st or 2nd All-ACC team. Tahj Holden and Chris Wilcox are possible starters but when they’re not, they’ll help make up one of the deepest benches in the ACC - well, in the country. They have the potential to be No. 1 in the ACC and could very well finish No. 1 in all the land… IMO, UNC shouldn’t even start the season in the Top 25 – Capel and Lang aren’t strong enough to have UNC and all their inexperience freshmen and sophomores placed in the Top 25. BUT, once those freshmen and sophomores get some PT, they’ll be a great team… Pete Gillen and the Cavaliers could easily be in the top 3… The ACC’s kinda up for grabs, but only those three teams will have a shot at dethroning the Blue Devils

2. SEC
1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Mississippi
breakdown: Prince, Bogans, Camara, Stone, Parker (he’ll be back b4 the season’s over – just in time to kick everyone’s butt in the tourney) – if they don’t finish in the No. 1 or 2 in their conference they will be given the title as the Protland Trailblazers of college basketball. Now that Smith is finally gone, they should have a pretty good backcourt. Rashaad Carruth is the only All-American but the Wildcats also add three more recruits – Chuck Hayes, Josh Carrier, and Adam Chiles. Here’s a team preview and an article from ESPN: 'Final' return still to come at Kentucky? … Oh if Billy Donovan had gotten Kwame to come to college just one year = Final Four and very possibly Nat’l Champs. I’m surprised other people who do preseason Top 25’s and such don’t give UF credit. They only lost two players but David Lee and James White are easily replacing those two players. It’s gonna be the same thing again for the Gators – run and GUN! The best kind of basketball Ole Miss – I didn’t know anything about them last year when they were so good and still haven’t heard much about them. All I know is that they’re gonna be good again.

3. Big 10
1. Illinois
2. Indiana
2.5 Ohio State wishful thinking – Go Buckeyes!!!
3. Iowa
breakdown: Corey Bradford + Frank Williams = one of the Top 5 backcourts in the nation. F, Marcus Griffin’s gone but they still have Brian Cook. Minus Griffin, it’s the same team that’s given Duke a run for their money each of the last two seasons in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge… Jared Jeffries withdrew from the U21 team that won gold just to improve his game for this upcoming season. Kirk Haston’s retro hook shots and fade away jumpers will be missed but Head Coach (not interm coach anymore) Mike Davis will have a good core (Tom Coverdale, Dane Fife, Jeffrey Newton, and AJ Moye) back in Bloomington… Ohio State – Unfortunately, Ken Johnson’s gone after about 10yrs with the Buckeye’s They’ve got a few good recruits coming in, but I doubt they’ll make it to the big dance let alone finish in the Top 5 in the Big 10 (+1). They do have the runner up to Kevin Torbert (for Mr. Basketball in Michigan) coming in this year - name's JaQuan Hart. Unfortunately, he won’t be able to play in any games til next season… Steve Alford's team needs one player to stay healthy and they’ll finish in the Top 3. That player – Luke Recker. Someone’s gonna have to take over Dean Oliver’s duties of running the Hawkeye’s offense, but with Recker back again, they’ll be a really, really good team… For the first time in 3 years, MSU won’t make it to the Final Four. Marcus Taylor and Kevin Torbert will make up a sensational backcourt but unless MSU can get big time production from their other two recruits and inexperienced players, don’t expect the Spartan’s to be their “usual selves.” Give those two guards a year together and wait for the top recruits Izzo already has for next season and the Spartans should be at the top of the list in 02-03.
CameronCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 02:43 PM   #12
CameronCrazy
Rookie Player

CameronCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Part 2

4. Big 12
1. Missouri
2. Kansas
3. Texas
breakdown: They’re getting a brand new arena, they have two possible All-Americans in their backcourt, and they got a coach who’s getting $1.2 mil each of the next five seasons – I think the Tigers are ready for success ( Snyder enjoying rapid rise to success ). This’ll be Quin Snyder’s third year at Missouri and already he has a team that could easily win its conference – this may be a little far fetched but they may even make it to the Final Four. Kareen Rush (21.1ppg & Big 12 POY) and Clarence Gilbert (16.5ppg, 3.5apg) will make up one of the best backcourts in the nation (next to Duke, of course ). For a more in-depth preview of the Tigers check out their 2001-02 Season Preview … Every year it seems that Roy Williams puts together a Final Four caliber team, but every year the Jayhawks seem to come up short. That may be the case again this year. Nick Collison, Jeff Boschee, Kirck Hinrich, and Drew Gooden are all back and newcomers (and McDonald’s All-Americans) Aaron Miles (High School POY) and Wayne Simien could give Kansas what it needs to get a conference title and make it to the Final Four… The Longhorns lose Darren Kelley, but they gain, IMO, the best PG out of HS in Terrance Ford. I saw Ford in person at the McDonald’s All-Amer. game and his ball-handling skills are unbelievable. Ford will team up with 2000 All-Amer. Brain Boodicker and senior forward, Chris Owens to put Texas in the Top 3 in the Big 12 and in the nation’s Top 25.

5. Big East
1. Boston College
2. Syracuse
3. Seton Hall
breakdown: Troy Bell (20.4ppg, 4.1apg & Big East co-POY) is fresh off a gold medal in Japan and he’s gonna lead the Eagles to another Big East title. The two main recruits BC’s got coming in are Jermain Watson (ranked 21st by ESPN) and a 7-1 center from Germany. The most exciting non-conf game the Eagles will have will be when they face the Blue Devils in Boston… A lot of people are forgetting Jim Boeheim's Orangemen. Their backcourts pretty good – Preston Shumpert and DeShaun Williams (with the addition of Oak Hill’s Billy Edelin). The frontcourts gonna need some help, but the Big East isn’t the strongest conference this year so I think the Orangemen have a good shot… If it weren’t for the Hoyas third leading scorer, Demetrius Hunter, transferring, the Hoyas would be my pick for #3, but as it is, Seton Hall gets my #3 spot. I know you guys are probably thinking I’m nuts with this pick, but look – some of you have Providence. They graduated Kareem Shabazz – one of the better C in the B.E. – and 3 other players. The Pirates’ – leading scorer is back (Daruis Lane 16.9ppg), leading rebounder is back (Ty Shine 4.8rpg), bast passer/ball-handler is back (Andre Barret 5.5apg), and the biggest thing – Eddie Griffin’s gone! He was an awesome athlete, but after every 4-5 games he would get in a fight with some teammate. Some teams are better off without that kind of player. Tommy Amaker’s gonna be hard to replace (as is with any Duke player ) but they’ll be aight.

6. Pac-10
1. UCLA
2. Stanford
3. USC
breakdown: First, Steve Lavin needs to get himself out of any possible trouble, then he and the Bruins can focus on making a run to the Final Four. The Bruins will be led by Jason Kapono and Dan Gadzuric – both of which are preseason Wooden candidates. McD All-Amer Cedric Boozeman leads one of the best recruiting classes in the country – a class that will put the Bruins atop the Pac-10… According to TSN, Casey Jacobsen has improved his offensive game! Is that possible? If so, he’s gonna score about 30+ppg. Mike Mongomery and the Cardinal are gonna have to replace the Collins twins if they wanna make a run at the Pac-10 title… My third team is Henry Bibby’s Trojans team. Sam Clancy made the right decision withdrawing from the draft. IMO, he’s one of the most underrated players in the country. Clancy along with David Bluthenthal and Brandon Granville give USC a strong senior class.

Final Four: Duke, Kentucky, Maryland, Illinois

"Alive and Well: – it’s an article from foxsports.com. One of the best ones I’ve read all summer… says that Stanford’s Casey Jacobsen’s better than he was last year ; Mike Dunleavy’s gained 20lbs of muscle; and coaches said Jason Williams was the best counselor/player they’d ever had at the MJ camp (and btw – Jordan always made sure Williams was on his team during the nightly pick-up games with the counselors and the assorted pros… sounds like JW could end up in the nation’s capital next season)… Recruiting stuff – says that Randolph’s leaning towards UF and Duke
CameronCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:47 PM   #13
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Part 1

Quote:
Originally posted by CameronCrazy
2.5 Ohio State wishful thinking – Go Buckeyes!!!
Yeah, this guy is cool!!!

I see you really know your stuff and I hope you are right about OSU. At least from the list. :uhoh:
Old 09-02-2001, 01:08 PM   #14
Sean
Sports Enthusiast

Sean is on a distinguished road

Where's the A-10 on this list? Ah, how we have fallen.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 02:12 PM   #15
Ross
Hall of Famer

If you want it, here is mine

1. St. Joe's
2. Temple
3. UMass

I really don't know how good UMass will be, but they won 19 games (or something) last year, so they are my third team. I think St. Joe's is absolutely stocked and may be the best A 10 team since the 1996 Minutemen.