Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-06-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road
Default USC, LSU, OU?....

Which teams go to the Sugar Bowl?

I'd have to say LSU and Oklahoma. Both teams have played a much tougher schedule and while I hate to have it come down to "who did you lose to?" K-State and Florida are both better teams than Cal.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

All depends on how the AP and ESPN poll's have it and this is what they've seen....

OU had their lunch handed to them.

LSU, assuming no miracles, is pounding #5 Georgia.

USC beat yet another MEDIOCRE team.

If I'm a voter I have it #1 LSU, #2 OU and #3 USC.

But, alot of voters might have it #1 LSU/USC and #3 OU after seeing this ass whipping.

I'm loving this right now.......someone is gonna be PISSED and rightfully so.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 PM   #3
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

A lot of people on my campus will probably be pissed come Sunday when BCS comes out...

If I were a voter it would say OU, LSU, USC. Although LSU and USC have been playing better football lately I honestly think OU simply has the best players and coach.

Forgive my lack of BSC knowledge, but is the first year when a team has a legitimate gripe concerning the national championship? Last year was perfect, but I vaguely remember Oregon complaining a few years back and whupping Florida(?) in a bowl game thereafter.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:57 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Gotta be LSU for sure. OU and USC, toss up.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:37 AM   #5
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Oklahoma does not deserve it. This past week I came hard against USC, but USC lost in overtime, OKLAHOMA WAS DOMINTATED. I don't care how bad they beat Texas A&M, when you are just shut down like that in the last game of the season, you don't deserve to play for it all.

USC vs. LSU
Old 12-07-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

You know... I was listening to a radio broadcast of the LSU-UGA game, and one of the broadcasters had a very legitimate point about Oklahoma: Who have they beaten? Aside from a soft Texas team, nobody.

SC has beaten a mostly legitimate (in my mind) Wazzu team, and in doing so won its conference.

I think there's VERY legitimate argument that if a team can't win its conference, that team shouldn't challenge for the national title.

And besides, SC and LSU, I think, would be a heck of a matchup if LSU brought what they had last night.

(Unlike Ari, I think SC is a VERY GOOD, possibly GREAT, team.)

Ricky's point about SC's loss being in OT (3OT, at that) is right on. And, it was on the road. OU lost on a neutral field to a team that had never beaten a top five opponent before, and looked bad in losing the game.

Dave
Old 12-07-2003, 11:35 AM   #7
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

LSU vs. USC

They are playing the best football right now. Oklahoma just the crap kicked out of them and if they end up going to the Sugar Bowl it would be just like Nebraska a few years ago making it to the big game after getting slaughtered by Colorado. I think LSU would win this game b/c USC hasn't really seen a team as balanced as LSU, especially if LSU plays like they did last night.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #8
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

Quote:
(Unlike Ari, I think SC is a VERY GOOD, possibly GREAT, team.)
Wooo Haas, not once have I said whether I think they are good or not. I'm just arguing the point that LSU has had a tougher schedule and deserve the right to be in the before USC does. PAC 10 is weak and they haven't played anyone out of conference worth a squat except for maybe Auburn, but even they barely made .500.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 05:59 PM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

So Dave, you don't think Texas is a "mostly legitimate" team? You can call them soft all you want, but Texas is better than Washington State.

Ricky, you can say that a team losing in overtime isn't as bad as a team getting dominated. But when that team you lose to in overtime is CALIFORNIA, well, it makes a difference. Cal had no business taking a National Title hopeful to overtime.

I really do think it's a toss up between USC and Oklahoma in this, this isn't me making a case for why Oklahoma should be there over USC, but those two points you guys made just stuck out with me.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:08 PM   #10
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Hey, this thing with the BCS doesn't bother me at all. I mean, if USC wins their game against Michigan (which they won't), they will split the title with the winner of the Oklahoman-LSU game. And this year, I don't think anyone can expect or demand more than a split title because they all lost.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:29 PM   #11
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

The BCS was made so that there would be no split championship. If I'm chairman of the BCS, I'm praying for a Michigan victory in Pasedena.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:36 AM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Whether or not Oklahoma had a weak schedule or not, I'm disgusted that they will have the right to play in the Sugar Bowl after mailing it in on Saturday. I mean, hey, it was said that Oklahoma was going to get a spot in the game win or lose beforehand, so why even play? Do you think it would've been 35-7 if Oklahoma really needed the game?

If there was any justice, Oklahoma's disgraceful performance would've cost them a shot at the BCS title, and we'd have a USC-LSU championship game. Instead, the team that is #1 in both polls won't be playing in New Orleans. On the plus side, this may be the BCS derailment a lot of people have been hoping for for quite awhile.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:12 AM   #13
saturnbar
Sports Enthusiast

saturnbar is on a distinguished road

The big question for me, is why the polls have USC ranked ahead of LSU? The problem with the coaches and writers polls is that once ahead always ahead is the rule. How can you penalize a team for winning, they say, when the reality is I can't chamnge my mind, because then I would look stupid. USC started out higher in the polls and also lost first, that's the next problem, if you are going to loose, loose early. Although Florida didn't have a great season, they are packed with talent and will likely send more players to the NFL than anyone else. I just don't see how you can't reward a team after demolishing a top five team to win your conference championship. As bad as the BCS is for putting OU in the champuionship game, the polls are equally at fault for not putting LSU number one, and I haven't heard word one on the sports pundit circuit about that.
saturnbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:01 PM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I just can't believe Oklahoma is going to the top bowl after losing 35-7. No way Jose.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:18 PM   #15
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Dave, I have been thinking the same thing all season about OU not playing anyone, and I even made a thread on why their strength of schedule was higher than Florida a few weeks ago.

Oklahoma has not played a good defense yet. I am not even going to say Kansas State's defense is good, because everyone blasted them for giving up huge plays to Cal and then losing to Marshall, as Marshall just pounded the ball on them.

On the subject of Texas, obviously the toughest opponent for OU, and Texas lost to Arkanslaw by 10 at home. That is the same Arkanslaw team that got beat by LSU by 31. Texas is soft, and when they face a physical team they fall off the face of the earth. Note they have been playing much better with Vincent Young the full time starter, but I still think they are soft.

I want to see the two best teams play in the national title game, and at this very moment the two best teams playing are LSU and USC.

Here I was thinking the way to beat OU was to put pressure on Jason White, and all Kansas State did was pretty much play zone defense. OU has looked dominant vs. can't play defense competition. They have already been dethroned, and does anybody want to label them as the best team of all time now?

The BCS did not work this year, and has not worked in at least 3 if not 4 of the 6 years it has been into existence. The only years it really worked out was 1999 and 2002. It was a disaster in 2001 and now 2003, and very questionable in 2000 when Miami beat FSU and got jipped out of the title game, as well as Washington that season. In 1998 it was not as questionable, but 1 loss FSU got in over some fairly deserving schools as well, and ones who actually had their starting quarterback at the time.

The BCS does not work on a CONSISTENT basis.

Joey