Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Did Political Correctness "Color" The Outcome Of Sunday's Dallas Game?

With four and a half minutes remaining in Sunday's Titans-Cowboys game, Tony Romo hit tight end Jason Witten with an 18-yard touchdown pass - whereupon Witten flipped the ball to offensive tackle Marc Columbo, who emphatically spiked it - drawing a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty, which in turn led to a long kickoff return that set the Titans up with first and goal from the Dallas 5-yard line, and three plays later, the game-winning touchdown.

Many commentators have, for a long time, criticized the celebration penalties as inherently "racist." Since both Witten and Colombo are white, might the officials have eagerly seized upon the opportunity to debunk this widely-held belief?

And yes, I'll trot out my oft-stated view on this subject once again: Any such penalty should be enforced on the conversion attempt and not the ensuing kickoff - the obvious effect of the latter in this isolated instance notwithstanding: Imagine if that was done in this case, and the extra point was missed; in that case, the Titans would not have even needed the kickoff return as they would have led 27-26 at that point, and could have merely sought to run out the clock.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Many commentators have, for a long time, criticized the celebration penalties as inherently "racist." Since both Witten and Colombo are white, might the officials have eagerly seized upon the opportunity to debunk this widely-held belief?
May I ask why Race must always be brought into everything?

Please tell the liberal run media to stop making everything racist because none of it truly is...THANK YOU

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Don't blame me - this "debate" has been going on ever since the days of Butch Johnson and his "California Quake;" it was covered, for example, in Michael Oriard's book Brand NFL: Making And Selling America's Favorite Sport.

And a definite case can be made for the officials being intimidated by allegations of racism, so when they saw an opportunity to a flag a white player for "taunting," they got overzealous and jumped at the chance to do it, just to make it seem "fair."

Have you ever seen that commercial whose theme is that fantasy football is no longer about "dots"? (And the dots shown bear team colors, not racial ones). Well the No Fun League wants to turn the players themselves into dots. Don't get me wrong: If a receiver turns around and waves the ball in a cornerback's face after scoring a TD, I'm all for penalizing it - but to assess what turned out to be a game-changing penalty for what Witten and Colombo did? (And the game was on in my market, so I saw it first-hand, as it happened). That was utter nonsense - no matter what race the "taunters" were.

Hey, if you don't want the other team to celebrate, play better! And not at all irrelevant to this particular topic, give me "taunting" over the kind of intent-to-injure head-hunting that the Titans are fast becoming notorious for, any day of the week - especially Sunday and Monday night.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-15-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Hey guess what, the Browns are head hunters too, anybody watch that hit on Jordan Shipley, that was utter bullshit. The news outlets have better stories to run than "RACISM" in the NFL...run a story line that exsists, run something on illegal hits and purposeful attacks on other players.

Who doesn't think the Saints went for Brett Favre's ankle on purpose? Those are the stories that need covered.

I am not blaming you, I blamed the liberal run media, I will do it again, RUN STORIES THAT MATTER STOP MAKING CRAP UP! (that goes out to ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and EVEN FOX)

Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

sorry about the rage, this is just pissing me off, certain things need covered, even in the NFL and certain things are blatant lies.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

No, according to the letter of the law Colombo should have been flagged because the rule on celebrations bans players from going to the ground in a manner of celebration. The fact that Dallas fans are moaning about this is comical. The fact is they did not stop them on special teams when they needed to and once again Tony Romo choked in the 4th quarter.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote