Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default Lawsuit against Bertuzzi tossed out in CO

I was shocked the NHL reinstated this piece of garbage. Moore's lawsuit tossed out Thursday by a judge who said the case has no standing in Colorado. I hope he gets one in Canada. Bertuzzi planned the attack, broke three bones in his neck, concussion (we know the rest)...
Makes me sick.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree. Bertuzzi should have been arrested for assault. That was a felony, not an innocent mistake between two competitors.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

He was charged with criminal assault already.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

I stand corrected. But what is it going to take for a league NOT to reinstate a player? Murder?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't reinstate him.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Fights are one thing, even cheat shots are too (remember Domi's elbow that got him suspended). I think this one goes beyond a cheap shot. Not only was the attack from behind and broke the guy's neck!!!, it was pre-planned. Bertuzzi had planned this - I just think this one is one of the worst we've seen in NHL history. I mean, he broke the guys neck in 3 places, ruined his career. I think the NHL is saying "no big deal" by letting him back in. I like Marc's post, what will it take murder?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't reinstate him.
Uh ... the fact that he tried to seriously injure another player? Is that not a serious offense to you? He's been charged, but that isn't enough punishment. I wouldn't allow a thug like that back in my league. I don't understand why you are belittling his actions. It's not like he tripped someone, he freakin' purposely broke bones in a guy's neck and gave him a concussion.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
the fact that he tried to seriously injure another player?
Not really a fact.

Quote:
Is that not a serious offense to you?
He was suspended for the rest of the season.

Quote:
he freakin' purposely broke bones in a guy's neck and gave him a concussion.
I think this is an immature and baseless statement. To say he purposely broke bones in his neck is just flat out wrong.

I think Bertuzzi got the correct punishment. He realizes he made a mistake in judgment and got the proper penalty for it. The kick him out of the league stuff is way too over board.

Sorry, but you have to look at the intent rather than just the result. What Bertuzzi did was wrong, very wrong, but you can't go over board on punishing the guy.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
Sorry, but you have to look at the intent rather than just the result.
So if the result was Moore ended up being paralyzed, you would still reinstate this punk? I disagree ; I think you MOST CERTAINLY have to look at the result.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

It's silly to look at the extent of the injury for the punishment. The action/intent is the same no matter what the injury is.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Here we go once again, everybody blaming Bertuzzi and saying he should be suspended for life. What an absolute joke. If that's the case then Moore should never be allowed to come back for trying to take Naslund's damn head off. But it's okay if he comes back, it was okay for him to take a run at Naslund, but when Bertuzzi wanted some revenge for his teammate he's this huge evil person. People just look at Bertuzzi's mistake and automaticaly want to throw the book at him without knowing history or hockey in general. This would've never happened if Moore wasn't such a dirty player. Do I agree with Bertuzzi's hit? No, but he was warned and served his time. I do not believe this crap that Bertuzzi tried to break his neck on purpose.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:25 AM   #12
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Why you would file a case in Colorado that didn't even happen in that state, infact not even the country! is beyond me. File it in Canada. If Moore's career is over, then he has every right to have his day in court.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Why you would file a case in Colorado that didn't even happen in that state, infact not even the country! is beyond me. File it in Canada.
The Canadians in my law school say that type of thing is all about money. The law might be different up there. Also, if it comes down to a jury, Moore probably wants less canadians on it.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I agree with Doug. Let me put it this way to Boston and others: If Moore had moved an inch a different way a split second before he was hit, and as a result his injuries were not severe, would you still be against Bertuzzi being reinstated into the league? I hope so. If not, I think you're being hypocritical.

I think we are dealing with two separate issues here. One is, should the NHL crack down harder on cheap shots of all kinds? If you think so, then that's fine, I would tend to agree. If you think, "Cheap shots are kind of okay depending on what happens to the person being hit," then that's kind of bull, because the cheap shot artist can't necessarily control whether he bruises a guy or causes something far more serious. It makes a lot more sense to punish based on the action rather than the result.

Edit: OTOH, if I drink and drive and cause a fender bender, I'm certainly in less trouble then if I drink and drive and commit vehicular homicide. Does that comparison apply? If not, why not? Discuss.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by KevinBeane; 10-14-2005 at 10:04 AM.
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:25 PM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Why you would file a case in Colorado that didn't even happen in that state, infact not even the country! is beyond me. File it in Canada. If Moore's career is over, then he has every right to have his day in court.
At the time of the assault Moore was a resident of CO, by law - if you are assaulted you can file a lawsuit in the state you reside in - even though it may of happened elsewhere. But most likely it will be thrown out like this one, because it did not happen there.