Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-28-2001, 02:55 AM   #1
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Kings trading Jason Williams to the Grizzlies for Mike Bibby

I have a trade to report. The Kings and Grizzlies have made a trade:

Kings get:

Mike Bibby and Brent Price

Grizzlies get:

Jason Williams and Nick Anderson

What do you guys think of this trade? I think this trade is great from the Kings' perspective. While I like watching Jason when his flash actually works. More often than not it doesn't. I'm not a big Bibby guy but he's much better and steadier than Jason Williams.

The only way this trade is bad for the Kings is if before the trade Webber has it in his mind that he has a 50/50 chance of staying and then he thinks to himself, "They just traded my best buddy on the team" and this trade helps push him out the door.

As for the Grizzlies. Shareef and Bibby gone. I guess since Memphis is new to pro basketball, so they only care about having an actual team playing there.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 11:57 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Great trade for the Kings - I'm not so sure about the Grizzlies, though, in trading their two best players. It may be a good move since they weren't winning with Bibby/Shareef as the stars, but maybe they should have waited a little longer. That team could have been good with such a talented nucleus.

If Webber stays in SacTown, he hasn't said anything yet, I think Bibby/Webber could be a terrific pairing.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 12:34 PM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

I don't see how this is good for the Kings, Bibby is almost just a passer, I mean at lest Williams scored. As for the Grizz? They are really gonna suck next year, they traded off all of their players, think they could go for the record, 0-82.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:13 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by The J
I don't see how this is good for the Kings, Bibby is almost just a passer, I mean at lest Williams scored. As for the Grizz? They are really gonna suck next year, they traded off all of their players, think they could go for the record, 0-82.
Bibby's a good 3-pt man... was he not in the All-Star shootout competition?... maybe not... I forget...

...I guess they just want to clean house and get some fresh, new faces in the locker room with all these trades.... start right from the bottom and work up, it seems...
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:02 PM   #5
Jersey Devil
All-Star Player

Jersey Devil is on a distinguished road
Default This deal means ONE thing .....

The Grizz will be able to sell tickets in Memphis! Jason Williams is one of the biggest draws in the whole NBA, is there any other reason for a bad team moving to get him? And it's not like he has no real game, he's a good player, just a bit sloppy.

"J" in an earlier post said: "I don't see how this is good for the Kings, Bibby is almost just a passer, I mean at lest Williams scored. As for the Grizz? They are really gonna suck next year, they traded off all of their players, think they could go for the record, 0-82."

First of all, Bibby is NOT just a passer! He averages 16 points per game!

This is what the Grizz team looks like now (not official depth chart by any means):

PG - Jason Williams
SG - Michael Dickerson
SF - Shane Battier
PF - Stromile Swift
C - Bryant Reeves
Bench - Brevin Knight (PG), Lorenzen Wright (F), Will Solomon (PG), Grant Long (PF), Erick Strickland (SF), Tony Massenburg (PF/C), and others.
Other - Pau Gasol (SF), Antonis Fotsis (SF) ... each in Europe for the time being.

That's not THAT bad of a team. Certainly not one that will go 0-82 (I'm hoping you really were sarcastic there).
Old 06-28-2001, 02:10 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Yes I was, and I forgot about Battier, my bad. I guess I need to start up on my Grizz research , eh?
Old 06-28-2001, 02:14 PM   #7
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

But wait, are you telling me you think they're gonna do good next year? Like playoff good?
Old 06-28-2001, 02:24 PM   #8
Jersey Devil
All-Star Player

Jersey Devil is on a distinguished road
Default Not anywhere near playoff good ...

I wanted to sound positive about the Grizz next year, but in no way did I want it to seem like they were a playoff team! Give them a few years before making a real impact. If I'm them, I still find a way to get the top pick of the upcoming draft, if you know what I mean ... ! Jason Williams and Yao Ming sure look REAL tempting right now!

I just wanted to mentioned that they had a good nucleus of talent for the upcoming year, and that Memphis fans will see a whole new team!