Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 03-21-2001, 07:19 PM   #16
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

LOL. I just realized that. Those two teams defaintely have funny names and I understand where they got them now. Thanks.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 07:07 PM   #17
J_Sinclair
Grizzled Veteran

J_Sinclair is on a distinguished road

there going to louisville i think
J_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 07:35 PM   #18
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Sinclair
there going to louisville i think
Not so fast, everyone!... St. Louis?.. New Orleans? Memphis?... How about CHICAGO!?

Quote:
From CBC.ca Sports Online
CHICAGO (AP) - Vancouver Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley is serious about moving his NBA team to the Chicago suburb of Dixmoor, provided he can find a place for his team to play while a stadium is built, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Friday.

The major stumbling blocks are finding a temporary home and whether state government will help pay for a new arena in south suburban Dixmoor, the Sun-Times reported, citing an unidentified source close to the team.

The NBA has given Heisley until Monday to pick a new city if he plans to relocate by next season.

Heisley has asked NBA commissioner David Stern for an extension, the Sun-Times reported.

A Chicago-based sports marketing firm spoke with officials of the University of Illinois Pavilion last week about the possibility of the Grizzlies playing there while the Dixmoor arena is built.
I don't think the question is if "Chicago's market is big enough for two NBA teams," but if "Chicago's market is big enough for two LOSING NBA teams that win about 30 games per year COMBINED."
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 08:02 PM   #19
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Lee, it's now between and ONLY between Memphis and Louisville. See the full story: Via Sportsline. I'm hoping for Louisville, my hometown!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 10:07 PM   #20
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by M. James
Lee, it's now between and ONLY between Memphis and Louisville. See the full story: Via Sportsline. I'm hoping for Louisville, my hometown!
What makes you think that the news story you found is more valid than mine!?... both published on the same day, and both by the associated press!... I'm not saying you're wrong.... I'm not saying I'm right.... I'm just saying that how can you believe YOUR news source over MINE? -- there's absolutely no difference....
Old 03-26-2001, 12:59 PM   #21
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Yesterday, because of the announcement today, was the last ever all-Canadian NBA match-up (for now, at least) between the Toronto Raptors and Vancouver Grizzlies:

Quote:
From CBC.ca Sports Online
The Vancouver Grizzlies are going to Graceland.

Members of the bid group trying to lure the Vancouver Grizzlies to Louisville, have confirmed that Michael Heisley has told them that he's moving his team to Memphis, Tennessee.

"At 9:30, Michael Heisley informed us he was transferring his team to Memphis," said J. Bruce Miller, who lead the Kentucky's effort to bring the team to Louisville.

A five-member NBA committee will study the Memphis bid for up to four months before making a recommendation to the NBA's board of governors, who still must approve the team's move.

Memphis and Louisville were two of four cities vying to become the new home of the NBA franchise. Also in the running were New Orleans and Anaheim, California.

Heisley's preferred destination for the Grizzlies comes as a bit surprise. Many considered the package put together by Memphis to entice the Grizzlies' owner the weakest of the four cities.

Not only will Memphis be the smallest market in the NBA, but the city also lacks an NBA-quality arena.

While details are sketchy, the Memphis group proposed a new stadium that would cost between $200 - $250 million US.

One of Memphis' strengths is corporate support. Auto parts chain AutoZone and courier titan FedEx are the bid's highest-profile backers.
Oh yeah!... -- that seems A LOT better than Vancouver!... Now, instead of Vancouver being the smallest NBA market, Memphis will be!... Vancouver already has a state-of-the-art facility, but Memphis doesn't!... other than a new location and probably a new head coach, looks like this team will still be the same, with the same troubles....
Old 03-26-2001, 04:15 PM   #22
Marc
Administrator

Lee, I disagree. Tennessee will be a much better home than Vancouver. One, they have *great* fans, the loudest in the NFL, for the Tennessee Titans, they also have great sports traditions with the Tennessee Volunteers in women's college b-ball and of course college football. Add to that, there are no other NBA teams in the area, and you get a pretty good location. Memphis is a great city, IMO, although I would have liked my hometown, Louisville, to finally get a franchise, I have to admit Memphis would be better.
Old 03-26-2001, 04:36 PM   #23
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

Maybe, they have great fans because they are winning?
Old 03-26-2001, 04:57 PM   #24
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Lee, I disagree. Tennessee will be a much better home than Vancouver. One, they have *great* fans, the loudest in the NFL, for the Tennessee Titans, they also have great sports traditions with the Tennessee Volunteers in women's college b-ball and of course college football. Add to that, there are no other NBA teams in the area, and you get a pretty good location. Memphis is a great city, IMO, although I would have liked my hometown, Louisville, to finally get a franchise, I have to admit Memphis would be better.
Well, Marc... I kind of agree... but maybe Patrick is right moreso... I guess we'll see when the novelty of a pro basketball team wears off and the team begins to lose for its first season or two... they aren't all of a sudden going to be a better team overnight.

Hopefully for the team its a good move, but it's BAD for basketball in Canada... now there's only one team and Toronto doesn't really have a rivalry anymore to keep the casual Canadian basketball fan into the game (like me)... hopefully they continue winning consistently and getting into the playoffs or else they might vanish also...
Old 03-26-2001, 06:53 PM   #25
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Well, Marc... I kind of agree... but maybe Patrick is right moreso... I guess we'll see when the novelty of a pro basketball team wears off and the team begins to lose for its first season or two... they aren't all of a sudden going to be a better team overnight.

Hopefully for the team its a good move, but it's BAD for basketball in Canada... now there's only one team and Toronto doesn't really have a rivalry anymore to keep the casual Canadian basketball fan into the game (like me)... hopefully they continue winning consistently and getting into the playoffs or else they might vanish also...
I stand by my point. Let's remember the Grizzlies *won't* be an expansion team with bad players when they move to Memphis, they are a good, established team with a great, young, and talented starting line-up. They are moving because of lack of fan support and Tenn. has great fans.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:45 PM   #26
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I stand by my point. Let's remember the Grizzlies *won't* be an expansion team with bad players when they move to Memphis, they are a good, established team with a great, young, and talented starting line-up. They are moving because of lack of fan support and Tenn. has great fans.
Well, they might as well be an expansion team!... their record sure shows it!... I agree they do have a good core, but it obviously isn't clicking this season.. or ANY previous season, for that matter.

However, Vancouver isn't moving elsewhere because of a poor fan base. They were originally projected to lose "just" $40 million this season, but at the All-Star Break, that changed to over $50 million... and that's AMERICAN funds for a team whose revenue all comes in the form of the very weak CANADIAN dollar

I visited NBA.com and went to the boxscores for the majority of Grizzlies home games... the team is averaging between 11,000 and 19,000 all season long... most games in the 12,000-13,000 range, and games versus teams like Toronto and Los Angeles in the 18,000 to 19,000.... what more do you expect from a last-placed team?... fans, I don't think, are the issue. Money is.

Any time a Canadian team moves away or just disappears from any sport, it is not, I repeat, it is NOT a fan issue. It is a money issue.... (with the possible (future) exception of the Expos.)

If, in the case of the Grizzlies, it WAS a fan issue (though it certainly is not), look at it this way... the team is going to lose over $50 million this season. I'm not sure what the average ticket price is in the NBA, but let's just SAY it's $90 dollars, CANADIAN. So if the team sold out EVERY game, at $90 a ticker for approximately 19,500 seats, that's 71.955 million Canadian dollars, which is only $46.2658. That's IF they sold out EVERY SINGLE GAME, and ONLY the elite teams sell out EVERY SINGLE GAME. Even if the Grizzlies were an elite team, they would still be losing money, but "only" in the neighborhood of $4 to $6 million... again, thats USA funds for a team who earns all its money in Canadian currency.

Last edited by lmanchur.; 03-26-2001 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:48 PM   #27
ryanpaige
Sports Enthusiast

ryanpaige is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Oh yeah!... -- that seems A LOT better than Vancouver!... Now, instead of Vancouver being the smallest NBA market, Memphis will be!... Vancouver already has a state-of-the-art facility, but Memphis doesn't!... other than a new location and probably a new head coach, looks like this team will still be the same, with the same troubles....
Vancouver was never the smallest market in the NBA. Several NBA cities are smaller than Vancouver, including San Antonio, Milwaukee and Sacramento.
ryanpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:15 PM   #28
theGOATlegend
Sports Enthusiast

theGOATlegend is on a distinguished road
Default well.

Why dont they move the Grizzzzz to Pittsburgh? They need some NBA ballers.
theGOATlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 10:10 PM   #29
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Well, here is something interesting. Not only are the Grizz applying for a move to Memphis, so are the Hornets:
http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0325/1161516.html
Quote:
Faster than you can say barbecue and Elvis, Memphis has gone from no NBA teams to having two franchises that have applied to move there.

After three decades of searching for big-time pro sports, the city learned Monday it could be the new home of the Vancouver Grizzlies or Charlotte Hornets.

"Memphis' best days are ahead of it, and this is another step in that evolutionary process," Mayor W.W. Herenton said.

The Grizzlies and Hornets both asked the NBA for permission to relocate to Memphis, effective next season.
However, a potential Charlotte move may be avoided if the Hornets are sold to local banking executive Hugh McCall. McCall is believed to head a group trying to buy the Hornets and local opposition to a proposed arena may disappear if current Hornets co-owner George Shinn sells his interest in the team.

The sale could happen within 30 days. The NBA has 120 to approve the team which will move to Memphis. A relocation committee will be appointed in a week to review each case and make a recommendation to the league's board of governors.

Each team said it would play in The Pyramid, a $65 million arena opened in 1991, until a new stadium costing up to $250 million could be built. The Pyramid seats 19,000 for basketball.

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley passed on Louisville, Ky., Anaheim, Calif., and New Orleans in choosing Memphis, which would be the NBA's smallest market.

The Hornets, meanwhile, want the option to move in case Charlotte voters reject a new $215 million downtown arena in a referendum in June, co-owner Ray Wooldridge said.

Wooldridge has said he wants to keep his team in Charlotte but that it needs a backup plan if the voters oppose a new stadium. Monday was the NBA deadline for teams to apply to move.

Financing for a new Memphis arena still is unsettled, but much of it would come from state and local government, through tax breaks and construction bonds. As now proposed, no referendum would be required, though the city council and county commission will have a say in the process.

"There are a number of details and intricate negotiations that will take place in the ensuing months. I hope Memphians will have an open mind," Herenton said.

Though Herenton said an NBA franchise would be an economic and public relations boost for the city, he noted some citizens undoubtedly will oppose construction of a new stadium.

Talk about a possible move by the Grizzlies has been swirling through Memphis, but there has been little mention of the Hornets.

"This is great news for Memphis because it makes it even more likely that Memphis will receive an NBA franchise," said Autozone founder J.R. "Pitt" Hyde, leader of a business group that has been searching for a team for the past year.

Hyde said at a news conference that his local investor group would buy "up to 50 percent" of a franchise, regardless of what team might move to Memphis.

An NBA relocation committee will be appointed in a week to review both applications and make a recommendation to the league's board of governors within four months.

Michael Glenn, a vice president of FedEx Corp., said the company has made a major commitment to buy naming rights for a Memphis team and the new stadium. Glenn declined to give figures. He also said any talk about a new team name is premature.

The Hornets say they need a new arena to be profitable. Wooldridge told The Charlotte Observer the team could lose as much as $40 million next season if he did not apply for relocation and the referendum failed.

Memphis, with a metropolitan population of just over 1 million and a TV market ranked 40th nationally, would replace Salt Lake City as the smallest market in the NBA. The city is known for its plentiful barbecue restaurants and as the home of Elvis Presley, who died in 1977.

The decision to move gives Heisley a chance to build a new fan base for his Grizzlies, a 7-year-old franchise that has scattered support in Vancouver and is expected to lose $40 million this year.

For Memphis, landing either team would end a search for a major professional sports franchise that has lasted more than three decades.

In 1974 and 1993, Memphis was a finalist for NFL expansion teams but lost out each time. The former Houston Oilers used Memphis as a temporary home in 1997 before moving in 1998 to Nashville, where they became the Titans.

"We've been trying to get to this point for many, many years," Hyde said. "Now I think it is incumbent on the citizens of Memphis to get behind this effort to show that they fully support the building of a new arena."

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 10:50 PM   #30
ryanpaige
Sports Enthusiast

ryanpaige is on a distinguished road

The Grizz are likely to prevail in their efforts to move to Memphis over the Hornets since the Hornets won't even know if they're really interested in moving until June. The Grizz are ready to go as soon as the owner's can vote.

I suspect that the NBA will have a back-up city laying in wait in case both teams do want to move. (or that switch-a-roo thing could happen where Shinn and Wooldridge get the Grizz and move them to Memphis and Heisley gets the Hornets. There is some speculation that the Hornets could easily get a new arena if not for Shinn being the owner of the team).
ryanpaige is offline   Reply With Quote