Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default Bonzi Wells Traded to Memphis

According to ESPN.com the Trailblazers traded Wells to Memphis for Wesley Person and a 2004 1st round pick.

West does it again: the Grizzlies pick up a legitimate scorer to complement Gasol and Williams for a potential playoff team.

Here's the link
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1677331

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Erickson
Feed Your Niner Addiction

Erickson is on a distinguished road

yes West may have done it again, but Wells is a problem on and off the court. Just ask any Blazer fan. The fans are jumping for joy in Portland right now.

"Now that's a REAL shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:20 PM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

This was a case of the BLazers getting rid of Wells. He was a cancer on that team. If he can keep out of trouble for the Grizz.... it'll be a good pick-up.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:17 AM   #4
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Good move for the Grizzlies, we are talking about a solid player in Bonzi Wells...has off-court issues he needs to deal with, but you know what, he was surrounded by the wrong people in Portland. I like what he brings to the table on the court, has scoring abilitity and can play the defensive end as well. Jerry West is doing a good job for this orginization.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:04 PM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Person and a draft pick for Wells is a steal for the Grizz, but then again I am a Grizz fan so I am biased. I think Brian touches on something when he says Wells was surrounded by the wrong people, and some of those people were his teammates. The Blazers have had more trouble than any team in the league over the last 5 years, and hopefully a new surrounding will get Wells back on track.

He has a good jumper and he brings playoff experience to Memphis. I am just glad that Memphis got another shooter/scorer to run the floor with Jason Williams. I think Wells could average at least 15 points a game for the Grizz.

Joey
Old 12-04-2003, 02:15 PM   #6
TexasNative
Grizzled Veteran

TexasNative is on a distinguished road

Very good move for the Grizz. I just wonder how many bags of drugs he is allowed to have in the Grizz's locker room at one time? Maybe that headband he wears if really a sponge for him to get cocaine through osmosis.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I echo Brian's statement's about Wells "being surrounded by the wrong people". Practically everyone on that team has an extensive prison record and have IMO poor team chemistry. Wells gets a fresh start with a team that I like very much. I guarantee you if Memphis was in the East they would be an elite team right now. I'm pulling for them to get into the play offs because if they get hot at the right time they could do some damage. Even as soon as next year the Grizzlies will have one of the most potent starting line ups in the league. If they can keep this team together and progressively add more talent they could be a very, very good team in a few years. NBA Champions good.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #8
Erickson
Feed Your Niner Addiction

Erickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Practically everyone on that team has an extensive prison record
Even though I hate the Blazers. In all fairness no one on their team has a prison record. Mainly marijuana and DUI charges and that is it...oh and the occasional exposing yourself to your Nanny.

"Now that's a REAL shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #9
TexasNative
Grizzled Veteran

TexasNative is on a distinguished road

I think you could make a case for every team in the west could make the Eastern Conference Playoffs. Eastern Conference is so bad. Its so bad that have doctors on hand to try to revive it from its comatose state.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:21 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Erickson
Even though I hate the Blazers. In all fairness no one on their team has a prison record. Mainly marijuana and DUI charges and that is it...oh and the occasional exposing yourself to your Nanny.
Just an exaggeration to make it sound worse than it is. My point was that team is filled with trouble from the starters to the last reserve.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:22 AM   #11
mattyc
Grizzled Veteran

mattyc is on a distinguished road

Portland trying to clean up? :uhoh:
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:55 AM   #12
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

[email protected] this trade by Memphis. Bonzi wells is good, no doubt. But a first-round draft pick? Plus you already have Battier, Posey, Dahntay Jones, Mike Miller, and THeron Smith all at the same damn position. You have gotta be kidding me. Im starting to wonder if the GM's know what they're doing.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 01:00 AM   #13
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Memphis doesn't a need pick (as they're so young anyway); they need talent for a playoff push. Although it certainly does seems West is stockpiling a lot of players it may be for a blockbuster trade, which has been rumored for some time. If Memphis continues to play well, Portland would receive a pick below the top ten, and the 2004 draft talent is looking fairly weak.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:17 PM   #14
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Diceman, this trade was beyond great for the Grizzlies. Losing that first round draft pick is not going to hurt all that much, because who is really coming into the draft that is going to be that good next year anyways? Plus as Ken mentions, if the Grizzlies continue to have around a .500 or better they won't be getting a good draft pick anyways. There is not much left in next year's draft after the top 10 to 15 anyways.

Bonzi Wells is the best of all those players you mentioned in your run down of players at that position on the Grizzlies. If having too many players at one position is a problem for the Grizzlies, then West will manage to work out something. Jones and Smith really don't play all that much anyways. Plus Wells can play guard and forward. This team plays just as many players as any other team in the league, and this formula has been a success for them. I like the move by West.

Joey
Old 12-09-2003, 06:08 PM   #15
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Why would you want Bonzi Wells, at 6'5" to play small forward in the West? Where Kevin Garnett, Michael Finley, Antawn jamison, Carmelo Anthony, Devean George, and Corey Maggette all would dominate him at that position. I sitll don't think it makes sence. And I am wrong about trades not very often. But, we have to wait and see.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote