Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Interesting situation at Texas Tech...

Quote:
Leach, Texas Tech still unresolved

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech coach Mike Leach missed another deadline Tuesday to accept a contract extension and now the school's board of regents will meet Friday to discuss his job.

Leach said he's happy to coach the remaining two years of his current contract, which pays $2.65 million next season and $2.35 million in 2010.

"It's well documented that we want to be at Texas Tech for years to come. Our results have been positive and I have no regrets whatsoever. We're very excited about the future of the program. We had a strong recruiting class. We've won more bowl games and had the best season in the history of Texas Tech. I'm trying to focus on my job," Leach told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Leach and Texas Tech have essentially agreed on the financial terms of a new five-year deal that would average $2.54 million annually, but negotiations hung up on several clauses.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3914101

Leach declined their offer and has two years left on his current contract. But if they fail to agree, he'll be a lame-duck basically, and how will he be able to recruit with that? It seems he is holding out for more money and/or a bigger school/job. Do you all think Leach will stay at Tech?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Hes not holding out for more money, as they said both sides have already agreed on the financial side of it. The thing thats keeping them from reaching agreements are the clauses in the contracts.

In the end, i think Leach will be in Lubbock thru the 2009 season at least. As for after that, unless they can reach an agreement, i look for him not to be back for the 2010 season. Tech really needs Leach as he has done pretty good for them, but still hasnt gotten them over the hump, but they are still the 3rd best recruiting option in that area behind OU and Texas, IMO.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, they were talking about this on PTI last night and it essentially sounds like what coachJ said they have agreed on the compensation that the school will provide but it sounds like Texas Tech is being very heavy-handed in terms of protecting its exposure and what it is liable for.

They mentioned that Tech wants a significant cut of money Leach gets for TV/radio shows, apparel deals, etc. and wants a below market value payout if he gets fired before the deal is up. From what they were saying Tech only wants to be on the hook for something like 12% of the balance if he gets fired when the average contract in the Big 12 has a roughly 50% buyout in them.

Basically they are haggling over the fine print here. I would bet they get a deal done before spring practice opens. He probably will not be around for the life of the contract anyway.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

A five-year deal is done: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3919674

Stiff penalties for Leach if he interviews at another school. Tech is clearly worried he'll jump to a bigger school.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote