Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default Google to unveil NBA games on demand!

Quote:
LAS VEGAS, NV – Jan. 6, 2006 – Live from the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) announced the planned opening of the Google Video Store, the first open video marketplace enabling consumers to buy and rent a wide range of video content from a major television network, a professional sports league, cable programmers, independent producers and film makers. This fast growing collection of videos will include prime-time and classic hits from CBS, a full slate of NBA games from this season and outstanding performances from the past, music videos from SONY BMG, Charlie Rose interviews as well as news and historical content from ITN and new titles being added everyday.

"Google video will let you watch lots of high quality video on the web for the first time. You can search and browse, and we make it fast and easy for you to watch," said Larry Page, Google's co-founder and president, Products. "For video producers and anyone with a video camera, Google Video will give you a platform to publish to the entire Google audience in a fast, free and seamless way."

Available soon, people who visit the Google Video homepage at http://video.google.com will be able to browse listings of video by category from the store or search Google's entire collection of videos by simply entering keywords into the search box.

"This is yet another exciting platform in which CBS can leverage its market-leading content to a whole new audience," said Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation. "Making our programming accessible to the Google Video Store guarantees our shows significant new exposure to millions of users who are likely to access this Web service and who may not be traditional TV viewers. As the industry's most prolific generator of popular TV content, it's only natural that CBS would partner with Google on this service, which is destined to become one of the web's most popular destinations."

CBS's current primetime hits will include CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, NCIS, Survivor and The Amazing Race. Library classics will include I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, The Twilight Zone, MacGyver, Have Gun Will Travel, Mannix, My Three Sons, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager. All CBS programs will be presented commercial free.

Google Video will also feature NBA games from this season and some of the greatest individual performances in NBA history. Marking the first time NBA fans can purchase full NBA contests on the Web, each NBA game for the rest of this season, including the NBA Playoffs and The Finals, will be available to fans in its entirety 24 hours after the contest's conclusion. In addition, the highest scoring games of several of the NBA's best players will be available including Kobe Bryant's 62 point performance in three quarters vs. Dallas last month.

"Google's innovative presentation of information and content is revolutionizing the way people access media," said NBA Commissioner David Stern. "In the increasingly competitive and rapidly changing world of entertainment, Google Video provides us with a new way to deliver the NBA experience to our fans when and how they want it."
It hasn't opened yet, but keep checking in at http://video.google.com, as it will be available very soon! I already know I'm going to kill a whole weekend watching some great games that I missed (like Kobe's 62 pt performance!). and now I don't have to subscribe to NBA TV, I can just download the games I want to watch for $4 each (or wait until someone posts them on bittorrent).
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Meh, to be honest I have no real desire to download and watch a game when I already know who won. I have a hard time watching a game from the day before if I know the outcome.

I don't have to subscribe to NBA TV to watch most of their games. One of the HD channels has a deal to broadcast the bulk of NBA TV's games in high-def.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

*pulls out umbrella midway through parade*
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

Still.

Would be exciting to download any game you want. I have the Lakers dynasty DVD and it is still fun to watch old classics.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndo
*pulls out umbrella midway through parade*
LOL

Sounds like a pretty sweet idea though.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I have to say I agree with doublee. I could just catch SportsCenter for highlights if I wanted. I'd have higher priority media to consume other than a game I already knew the outcome of (i.e. recorded TV shows, podcasts). However, I love the premise and emergence of new ways to watch stuff other than the TV. I just worry Google is doing too much too quickly, and needs to focus more on quality.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

It's not just NBA on demand, Google is taking bold steps in delivering video content from CBS as well, and MSN and others are right behind. As broadband becomes more and more the norm, it's only a matter of time before you can access any video you want (for a price), anytime you want, on the net.
And Google is, not surprisingly, leading the pack.

True, I will probably purposely stay off the net to avoid knowing outcomes of games before I download them, but also- for the true NBA connoisseur- to be able to download legendary performances... I'm sold right there. I can't wait to see their 'historic offerings'. and for $4 a pop???? that is a bargain.

I can't wait to watch some old Jordan games or Magic Johnson games, etc.

However, Marc- I'm curious as to what you mean by doing too much too quickly? (Google)... could you expound on that?
Old 01-09-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Google is basically copying Apple's iTunes store, which already offers video content and even sports highlights from ABC/ESPN. So it's far from original, and kind of straying from their bottom line: search. But I suppose they are looking for ways to diversify their revenue as 99% of it comes from AdSense text ads (the ones I run on SC in which partial proceeds go to me).

Shawn, if you follow the tech happenings, Google is announcing crap by the second it seems. Just do some reading on all the stuff they're announcing. I can't really list them all, or I'd be here all day.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

I hate Apple and I love Google. Just my preferences, I guess.
iTunes isn't offering me the content I really want; Google is about to.
Apple tries too hard to keep their sh** proprietary; I'm sick of it. iTunes and Quicktime have been banished from my system, and I sold my iPod.

As far as Google, the last article I read on them in WIRED titled "Who's afraid of Google? Everyone" shows a rapid expansion by Google into other markets. Many other markets. Some expansions might fail but it's hard to bet against Google overall. They still have my thumbs up.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:11 AM   #10
Marc
Administrator

DRM (digital rights management) is everywhere and here to stay. It's on CDs and DVDs (if you buy a DVD here, you can't play it on a DVD player in another part of the world). Apple certainly didn't bring this evil to people, but it believes strongly in it, and I don't like that. But it doesn't affect me as I choose to use iTunes/iPod and those two happen to work together. But yes, Quicktime and iTunes are rather crappy on Windows. Don't let that make you think it's that bad everywhere. Likewise, Windows Media Player on the Mac is a piece of junk, but better on Windows (go figure).

Regarding Google, I was referring to products and services rather than markets and that sort of expansion. And since this is non-sports, I think it's more appropriate for the Lounge.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:12 AM   #11
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Regarding Google, I was referring to products and services rather than markets and that sort of expansion. And since this is non-sports, I think it's more appropriate for the Lounge.
Well yeah, with our diversion into Google/Apple, etc.... but this is still big news for most NBA fans.
(other than doublee of course) At least there's a redirect in there.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #12
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I like the idea, not so much the NBA because I'm not a totally commited fan, but for the TV content.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
jim crack corn
Banned

jim crack corn is on a distinguished road

The NBA definitely isn't worth watching. Well, maybe if you paid me $50 an hr I might sit down and watch a game. NBA referees have been 'trained' not to call traveling. What kind of 'sport' is THAT? There is no integrity, no consistency, and many of the players have a difficult time constructing a simple english sentence. I'll take a nap.
jim crack corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I just worry Google is doing too much too quickly, and needs to focus more on quality.
I love all the toys Google is always coming out with, and Google's my home page. Have you seen quality lacking in any way, Marc? I don't think that Google is at risk for what you're talking about because it's very well-run and they are obscenely good to their employees; morale is super-high there.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Sounds good.