Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-02-2002, 03:39 AM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default QB Situation Getting Interesting

Well now that the dreaded salary cap has gotten to it's victims, Drew Bledsoe and Trent Dilfer aren't the only QB's out there, here's a look at my tops:

1. Drew Bledsoe- Still the best quarterback availiable, even though he isn't a free agent. I still think he'll go to Washington, not Dilfer.

2. Elvis Grbac- Had a bad season last year but was in a bad offensive system, should do better with a fresh start. I wouldn't be suprised seeing him in a Saints or Bills uniform, but I think he'll most likley wind up in Cinncinati.

3. Trent Dilfer- First off, I wanna say I think Dilfer is a possible Pro Bowler, not a Brett Favre 4,000-yard Pro Bowler, a Tom Brady 2,800-3,000-yard passer. This is a tough call, it all depends on if the 'Skins bail on Bledsoe, then he will be in Washington, but that's probably not going to happen so I think he'll either stay in Seattle or go wherever Grbac doesn't go.

4. Rob Johnson- Johnson is still young, so his career isn't dead yet, although it's close, but if he gets a starting job this season, he better show what he can do because it may be his last chance. We all know he has the potential to be a 3,500-yard, 30 TD QB, but the question is, does he? He has yet to have a healthy season, and he's gonna have to to prove himself. I say either New Orleans or Chicago.

5. Jeff Blake- Still has it, just not in Nawlins. Blake can be the QB he was in Cinncinati if he gets a starting nod, hopefully. Once again, another tough call. He may go to Baltimore, Billick always makes stupid decisions when it comes to the quarterback.

Honorable menchain- Charlie Batch, Scott Mitchell.

The Baltimore situation is interesting, do they go to Chris Redman, or do they sign someone like Blake to a one-year contract? If it was me, I'd stick with Randall Cunningham, but they won't so I would say go with Redman and see how he does, if he blows it, that's where Randall comes in.

Another fishy possibility is in New York. Kerry Collins didn't show me much last season and I doubt the Giants saw promise, so do you think they'll try and pull something? Because if they make it public they're interested in a quarterback, forget about Cinnci, Buffalo or Nawlins, it's gonna be between NY and Washington for Grbac and Bledsoe. Now that would be something.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Nice analysis, but you left out Chris Chandler, who has been released by Atlanta. Make no mistake about it: The "Crystal Chandelier" is still fully capable of lighting up the scoreboard if he can manage to stay healthy. His best chance is latching onto a team with a better-than-average offensive line that also needs help at the QB position; Dallas just might be the ticket as the Cowboys are still too cap-challenged to seriously contend for Bledsoe or even Grbac. Another possibility is the Eagles, who would rather not leave themselves open to total catastrophe with Koy Detmer backing up Donovan McNabb; Philly's OL is weaker than Dallas's though.

Last edited by Anthony; 03-02-2002 at 10:00 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

I am SO sick of people saying Dallas will pick up a QB!! They have five, count em' FIVE CAPABLE STARTERS, they don't need another one! Their #1 this season will probably be Chad Hutchenson, he had a great career at Stanford and has a bright future in the NFL. Their # 2 will be Quincy Carter and # 3 will probably be Clint Stoerner. I would have too think they'll release or trade Anthony Wright, too good to be on the bench, I'm not saying Pro Bowl or anything but I think if he is groomed correctly, he can be a quality starter. Leaf will be cut in training camp. I don't think Chris Chandler is a quality QB anymore.
Old 03-03-2002, 03:16 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by The J
I am SO sick of people saying Dallas will pick up a QB!! They have five, count em' FIVE CAPABLE STARTERS, they don't need another one! Their #1 this season will probably be Chad Hutchenson, he had a great career at Stanford and has a bright future in the NFL. Their # 2 will be Quincy Carter and # 3 will probably be Clint Stoerner. I would have too think they'll release or trade Anthony Wright, too good to be on the bench, I'm not saying Pro Bowl or anything but I think if he is groomed correctly, he can be a quality starter. Leaf will be cut in training camp. I don't think Chris Chandler is a quality QB anymore.

Chad Hutchenson? Quincy Carter? Clint Stoerner? Anthony Wright? (And I assume Ryan Leaf is the fifth member of your quintet).

What have any of these five dudes ever done in the NFL? Answer: Absolutely nothing!
Old 03-03-2002, 01:15 PM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I think Jeff Blake is a good QB. He did well for New Orleans before getting injured. I would like to see him play for Buffalo or even Cincinnati again.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:05 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Right on, Anthony. It's quality over quantity and none of the Dallas QBs (except Carter, who has potential) have the quality.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 04:19 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
I think Jeff Blake is a good QB. He did well for New Orleans before getting injured. I would like to see him play for Buffalo or even Cincinnati again.

Would you care to try for Philadelphia, Keith? Reportedly the Eagles are dissatisfied with their backup quarterback situation (apparently they feel that what happened in that January 6th "Meaningless Bowl" in Tampa was just that - meaningless) and are looking to sign a proven commodity to be their #2 behind Donovan McNabb - and they would prefer someone whose overall tendencies are similar to McNabb's (in other words, salt statues like Jeff George need not apply).

Last edited by Anthony; 03-04-2002 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:40 PM   #8
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

So are you saying you think Dallas will sign him and have six QB's? I don't think so.

P.S. I would like to see Jeff George play again.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:07 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think Dallas should send half their QBs to the NFL Europe, Arena Football League, or CFL.

As for George, this guy's had his chance and the only place he's had moderate success is Minnesota, which was probably only because of the receiver talent they had then. He has had his chances and blew them.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote