Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Coaches on the Hot Seat...

CnnSI's Stewart Mandel groups 'em like this...

"Most Severe"

-Bill Callahan, Nebraska
-Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M
-Houston Nutt, Arkansas
-Bill Doba, Washington State

"Hanging by a thin thread"

-Karl Dorrell, UCLA
-Tommy Bowden, Clemson
-Mike Stoops, Arizona
-Phil Bennet, SMU
-Ted Roof, Duke
-Mark Snyder, Marshall
- Llyod Car, Michigan (if they cool off down the stretch he says)

"Roasty Bottoms"

-Greg Robinson, Syracuse
-Guy Morriss, Baylor
-Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State
-Ed Orgeron, Ole Miss

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bag/index.html

In the Big Ten I still think Joe Tiller is in trouble. That 5-0 start is a distant memory after getting drubbed by conference powers Ohio State and Michigan in consecutive weeks. The schedule doesn't ease up all that much down the stretch. I think it's important for the Boilermakers to win at home vs. Iowa and Northwestern.

Iowa
Northwestern
AT Penn State
Michigan State
AT Indiana

EDIT:

Kirk Ferentz at Iowa should be on the cooker too. After going 31-7 from 2002-2004 the Hawkeyes are a mere 16-16 since then. That win vs. Illinois on Saturday was huge for him.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 10-17-2007 at 08:12 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Coach Fran is GONE unless he runs the table, which wont happen. Also, Callahan is as good as gone, but i dont think it will happen this year, probly next just because of the money.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Traditions last for long periods of time because the usually work........Bill Callahan needs to be fired immediately.

It does not even feel right to watch players in Nebraska uniforms running a spread offense. A "finesse" team in Lincoln is sickening
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

I agree. I long for the days of the option running and a defense that will just shut somebody down. I loved Nebraska football back then, it was an amazing thing to watch. That was back in the day where Nebraska lined up and everyone knew the option was coming, but they still couldnt stop it. Ah, the good ol' times.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ
I agree. I long for the days of the option running and a defense that will just shut somebody down. I loved Nebraska football back then, it was an amazing thing to watch. That was back in the day where Nebraska lined up and everyone knew the option was coming, but they still couldnt stop it. Ah, the good ol' times.
I had this e-mailed to me earlier today:

tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
The option is no longer a viable...well...option...as far as an offensive strategy goes. The only two schools who run it in I-A (that I'm aware of) are Buffalo and Navy. You can't be an option school and get the talent necessary to compete anymore cuz all these guys want to go to the NFL where the option isn't an...well...option.

A simple pro set or I-formation offense would do.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

Yea, i know the option offense wont be seen anymore unless youre watching high school football, but those days when Nebraska was running the option offense were just great smash mouth football, where they lined up and didnt care who was on the other side of the ball. No politicing for poll spots.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

What about Northwestern's coach? I mean anyone who loses to Duke has to be looked at right? :lol:

The problem in Nebraska is that they went and hired the anti-Osborne of Nebraska football. They could not have hired anyone whose philosophy of the game differed more than Osborne/Solich than Bill Callahan. So, they did not have the right talent in place to for Callahan to win immediately.

How can Ted Roof be on the hot seat? I mean he actually won a game this year. :lol:

How much luster has Ferentz' star lost the past two years. I remember when Iowa was the up-and-coming program in the Big Ten and Ferentz was the guy leading them back to glory. He was at the top of everyone's list when an elite college or NFL job came open.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #9
trayhezy
All-Star Player

How can the option offense not be viable anymore? Solich from 2000-03 went 38-14 running his version of the option. Football has not changed that much from 03 until now. Callahan in his three and a half seasons is only 26-18. This is likely why Nebraska can not recruit like they used to...it is not the Nebraska football that these kids grew up watching. The way Nebraska used to play, any top high school running back would consider them. What better way to showcase for the NFL then by getting 25-30 carries a game? Any top offensive line prospect would consider them. What better way to get noticed. And with a dominate offensive line, a team can compete with anyone.

Funny thing is the guys who built so much of this tradition is now the AD. I suspect Callahan will be gone soon...to be replaced with a "Nebraska Guy" which probably means a return to the option.
until I'm Tiger dead
Old 10-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I think this will be Houston Nutt's last season. Arkansas has not played well at all in my opinion. Also Dennis Franchione could be gone after this season for Texas [email protected]
Old 10-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

doublee...

Fitzgerald at NW is doing quite well for himself. They lost at home to Duke and then got completely destroyed at Ohio State. Since then they battled Michigan to a 28-16 loss and have wins over Michigan State and Minnesota. They're 4-3 and play Eastern Michigan tonight. A win against 'em and they are almost certain to go bowling.

tray...

The option works...no doubt about it. The thing is QBs don't want to run it at the college level cuz it doesn't translate into NFL success. Eric Crouch comes to mind. Tommie Frazier wouldn't have made it either IMO.

Sam Keller is a great talent and solid QB but has been miserable in Callahan's WC offense. You can't run the WC or the option...but a pro set or I-formation would do.

You could run this new spread style that Purdue, Florida and WVU run. I don't like it though. All those teams have defensive breakdowns (I know...has nothing to do with the O but just an observation) and for 1-2 games per year someone has the talent to completely shut their spread down.

Florida - Auburn
Purdue - Ohio State
WVU - South Florida

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 10-19-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
trayhezy
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post

tray...

The option works...no doubt about it. The thing is QBs don't want to run it at the college level cuz it doesn't translate into NFL success. Eric Crouch comes to mind. Tommie Frazier wouldn't have made it either IMO.

Sam Keller is a great talent and solid QB but has been miserable in Callahan's WC offense. You can't run the WC or the option...but a pro set or I-formation would do.

You could run this new spread style that Purdue, Florida and WVU run. I don't like it though. All those teams have defensive breakdowns (I know...has nothing to do with the O but just an observation) and for 1-2 games per year someone has the talent to completely shut their spread down.

Florida - Auburn
Purdue - Ohio State
WVU - South Florida
I agree. However if anyone can find a good QB to run the option it would be Nebraska.

On the other hand it does not matter what offense you run if Callahan is the coach.
until I'm Tiger dead
Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
How can the option offense not be viable anymore? Solich from 2000-03 went 38-14 running his version of the option. Football has not changed that much from 03 until now. Callahan in his three and a half seasons is only 26-18. This is likely why Nebraska can not recruit like they used to...it is not the Nebraska football that these kids grew up watching. The way Nebraska used to play, any top high school running back would consider them. What better way to showcase for the NFL then by getting 25-30 carries a game? Any top offensive line prospect would consider them. What better way to get noticed. And with a dominate offensive line, a team can compete with anyone.

Funny thing is the guys who built so much of this tradition is now the AD. I suspect Callahan will be gone soon...to be replaced with a "Nebraska Guy" which probably means a return to the option.
Being the age of most current recruits right now I have some decent perspective on this. The problem for Nebraska is that Callahan's crap is a good deal of what they remember. Most of these recruits would've been 8 or 9 the last time Nebraska won the MNC (or the Big 12 for that matter) and even younger when it was Tommie Frazier dominating defenses in the mid-'90s. Sure, they're likely to remember Eric Crouch but what followed that was that horrific loss at Colorado, the drubbing from Miami in the Rose Bowl, and then a dreadful 7-6 2002 that seemed to indicate that the pure option wasn't going to be a viable offensive philosophy for a program like Nebraska.

The current recruits remember the likes Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, etc. dominating. That's why the top recruits are going to those schools. This also accounts for why schools like Alabama, Penn State, Nebraska, and now to a certain degree Florida State and Miami are struggling to land the top recruits. Those programs haven't been the same dominant players that they were in the '80s and '90s.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
I don't think the issue is a matter of not being able to recruit the talent so much as the talent Callahan inherited was recruited to play in the Osborne/Solich system not a West Coast style offense. As was pointed out previously you cannot simply throw a bunch of freshmen and sophomores out there and expect them to be able to execute all of the nuances of that offense.

The reason the option is not a viable offense in college is that you won't win championships running the option. You need to be able to throw the football in this age of college football to contend for national championships. You can consistently win 9, 10 games a year but you won't consistently beat the big boys and that is not going to be acceptable for Husker Nation. That was why they ran Solich out of town in the first place. He was winning but he was losing to the elite of the Big 12.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
doublee...

Fitzgerald at NW is doing quite well for himself. They lost at home to Duke and then got completely destroyed at Ohio State. Since then they battled Michigan to a 28-16 loss and have wins over Michigan State and Minnesota. They're 4-3 and play Eastern Michigan tonight. A win against 'em and they are almost certain to go bowling.
I was only kidding when I said that.