Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-21-2003, 01:32 PM   #1
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road
Default Make one change

Say that you have the power to make one change in NFL football, be it a rule, a league procedure, a broadcasting decison, or whatever it may be.

What would you do...?

Yes, what WOULD you do...??

Oh....and for those of you that are a tad slooooooow, I did say ONE change.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
rocketman
Sports Enthusiast

rocketman is on a distinguished road

I'd open up the NFL Sunday ticket to anyone who has cable TV. As of now, Direct TV satellite is the only way one can get it, and the NFL recently chose to stay with Direct TV for three more years.

Satellite is fine, but not all people can get it, due to location and/or technical problems.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:46 PM   #3
rocketman
Sports Enthusiast

rocketman is on a distinguished road

Here's another change I'd recommend:

As of now, the NFL has certain rules in place with regard to network affiliate's broadcast of games. I think several of these rules are archaic and actually prevent people from seeing something you'd think the NFL would want them to see - exciting games.

Example: Last season, during the Miami - New England season finale that went into OT, CBS could not show the end of the game live in areas where there was a 4:15 game scheduled to be shown on another network. Studio Host Jim Nance was quite irritaed by this and apologized to viewers. One would think that the NFL would want to promote its product by allowing folks to see tight games and exciting endings, but the league has those rules in place to seemingly prevent just that.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I would change the rule that makes a team with a better record overall, but who is 2nd place within their division, play on the road in the playoffs vs. a team with a worse overall record, but who has won their conference.

Example last season...Indy plays on the road at Jets. Indy was 10-6 and Jets were 9-7. Same will be true this season more than likely, as whoever comes out of the AFC central will probably have a worse record than both of the wild cards teams. But because Cincy or whoever won their division, they get the home playoff game vs. the likes of a team like the Colts or Titans.

Joey
Old 11-21-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Overtime. Both teams should have a chance to score.... that way the game is not decided on a coin toss.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #6
marshall
Sports Enthusiast

marshall is on a distinguished road

1- You can Challenge plays in the last 2 minutes of the game.

This would change so many outcomes.
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:56 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Heathen
Overtime. Both teams should have a chance to score.... that way the game is not decided on a coin toss.
I agree.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Funny. The only change mentioned to this point I disagree with is OT. Both teams get that opportunity if your defense plays... there is no such thing as a game decided by a coin toss.

I can't seem to come up with anything at the moment. Colored coins for the coin toss has already been implemented, so...

I'll have to get back to you.

Dave
Old 11-22-2003, 12:26 AM   #9
kcdave
Sports Enthusiast

kcdave is on a distinguished road

Sorry tart, Ive never been one to follow the rules....

1. OT
2. 53 man roster needs to be expanded, or at the very least, allow all 53 to dress and play.
3. Full time refs.
4. Eliminate 2 pre-season games.
5. Re-evaluate the "tuck rule!"
kcdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:14 AM   #10
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Only one? That's cruel. Since kcdave has set a precedent, I'm going to ignore your little rule, even though you went to special trouble to emphasize it.

I would put the Super Bowl on a rotating schedule -- all 32 home stadiums -- instead of this warm-weather nonsense. Let's see games in less-than-perfect conditions once in a while. How about the '48 and '49 championship games, the Sneakers game, the FRICKIN' ICE BOWL? How about playing the NFL's biggest game at Lambeau Field? I guess if I could only choose one change, this would be it, but now I'm all fired up and I'm not stopping.

I'd kick Daniel Snyder, Mike Brown, and Bill Bidwill out of the NFL owners farternity.

Get rid of the "leaping" rule that cost TB against the Colts. It happens every week, but it's enforced randomly. That sort of rule is harmful for the league, and I see no compelling reason to keep this one on the books.

Harsher league penalties for truly vicious hits, less severe penalties for use of recreational drugs (as opposed to steroids that enhance performance). It's up to law enforcement officials -- not the NFL -- to punish players for something unrelated to their line of work.

OT isn't a big deal to me, but my preference is an 8-minute overtime.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:55 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

That's really tough, but if I could go with only one thing it would be to chop two weeks off the preseason and add them to the regular season, lengthening the latter to 18 games (and note that I said two weeks and not two games; I would have every team begin the preseason in the same week, abolishing that lame extra week of preseason that falls at the beginning, when onky like two or three games are played - this way each team would play three preseason games instead of most playing four and a few playing five, as is done now).

A close second to the above would be to change overtime so that it would become a 10-minute, non-sudden-death period - and if some games ended in a tie, so much the better! That way, teams could finish a half game ahead or behind one another at the end of the season, instead of having to use those ridiculous tie-breaking procedures to decide who goes to the playoffs and who goes home for the spring.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:26 PM   #12
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kcdave
Sorry tart, Ive never been one to follow the rules....
Well geez, dave, I've never noticed that.

1. Yes, I like Brad's 8 min OT idea.....and I agree with him that more ties is not necessarily a bad thing.

2. Why expand the roster, dave? Not saying you are "wrong" with the suggestion. I just don't know why you say it.

3. Full time refs = good idea, IMO.

4. I hate Anthony's idea to drop two pre-season game but add them to the regular season to make that 18 games long. I DO think that that is what the league will end up doing. Not a chance in hell that they will just flat DROP a couple of revenue-generating games from the slate.

5. Never heard of any tuck rule. What the hell is it...??

Old 11-22-2003, 02:33 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Make a "Canada" team that plays one home game in each Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal. If Anthony gets his way and there is a 9th home game, it would go to a city on a rotating basis from season-to-season, starting in Vancouver in the first season and going East. Our home playoff games would be in Montreal. Toronto can have all the exhibition games since they are crybabies there.

Since the NFL economics makes this almost impossible however, I would instead make it a 20-second playclock instead of 40.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:44 PM   #14
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Lol, I love how kcdave and Brad are being anarchists...

I would probably change OT and make it like basketball with 5 minute periods.

That or naked cheerleaders.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:05 PM   #15
poptart
Banned

Hey ken, dave is a LOT of things, but trust me, the Antichrist is not one of them.

That would be that Prince Charles dude, rumor has it.

Or....maybe it was Charles Nelson Reilly.

Hmmm......

Not sure. I know it is ONE of those Charles freaks.

Oh, and naked cheerleaders....??

poptart = IN